i lose about a quart of oil every 1500 miles.

#torquemonster

Reaction score
My truck is not burning oil nor is there oil spots on the ground, so where in the heck is it going ?

You are "using" oil. Not abnormal with these engines.

How many miles on the truck? Chrysler spec is 1 qt for every 1000 miles on engines under 50,000 miles, 1 qt every 750 miles for engines over 50,000 miles. Translation, you can burn all of the oil in your engine up in 5,000 miles and it be considered normal oil consumption.

How many miles on the truck? Chrysler spec is 1 qt for every 1000 miles on engines under 50,000 miles, 1 qt every 750 miles for engines over 50,000 miles. Translation, you can burn all of the oil in your engine up in 5,000 miles and it be considered normal oil consumption.

Can you post where you found this spec? And I don't know about you but my truck takes 8.5 quarts of oil not 5.

That has always been Chrysler Specs. I would imagine we'll see oil consumption increase with these thinner oils that they are using

Last edited:
My first 10 had 49,000 miles on it when I got it and burned a quart every 1500-1700 miles. Does not smoke or show in the exhaust but it is burning it. My new 10 had 15000 on it and did not burn any at all. Have 47,000 on it now and still no burning. Who knows, if yours is running good, leave it alone. Jimmy Ling, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it."

Can you post where you found this spec? And I don't know about you but my truck takes 8.5 quarts of oil not 5.

There is a service bulletin that is still used today from the early 90s that contains these specs. I don't feel like looking it up. :D I stated that spec based on most of these trucks have over 50k miles on them, even then it would have only burnt 6.66 quarts of oil. Let's not get wrapped up in the numbers. Check your oil every time you fuel up and save yourself a lot of trouble.

I have 71,000 miles on it , I checked oil coolant lines and doesn't seem to be leaking

I posted the specs. on this site in 2007,I see it has been removed. I have been using a quart every 700 or so miles for about 60,000 miles. I now have 90,000 miles on my truck, Just sayin.:D

85k on mine, burns no noticeable amount of oil. Changed oil about 3 months ago and it still looks like honey on the dipstick. Maybe I just got lucky with this one. :dontknow:

85k on mine, burns no noticeable amount of oil. Changed oil about 3 months ago and it still looks like honey on the dipstick. Maybe I just got lucky with this one. :dontknow:
Don't lie, you almost never get lucky :D How was work?

Now that's a problem. If you are loosing a lot, the leak should be easy to find.

I burn a hair less than 2 quarts/1000mi, most of it is lost through blow-by and being burned. My truck has 55k miles, and will puff smoke from the exhaust when you get on it.

Another thing. I'm burning through coolant like crazy too. Any ideas ?

So you are loosing coolant? and oil? and have no drops on the driveway? Blown head gasket. Check for oil in you coolant or coolant in your oil. If your oil looks like a chocolate milkshake then theres your answer. Hope thats not it.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back