I need some grill/radiator covers

Gnasty1521

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Had some work done and they can't find the radiator/grill black plastic pieces. They tried for a month to find them, and the accepted that they can't.

Does anyone have a set that they can create an invoice for to be paid by company card? PM me for their information.

What are the risks without them?

Thanks in advance...

I have multiple sets of them laying around.

"Risks" without the grill block off's?

No real mechanical failure risks. However, your truck will encounter more aero drag, less cooling efficiency and will have less down force from the front splitter. They are a big part of the overall performance package.

It's up to you whether you use them or not. Many of us removed the
Years ago and proved better cooling. Aero drag may be slightly different but not mattering unless you're doing 150 lol
I and others have sets of these.

Thanks for the replies. I appreciate the quickness this site offers for this vehicle for issues like this. I will send some PMs after the first of the year to acquire a set, if for nothing else, the cosmetic appeal.

I removed mine a long time ago. Just looks better with them gone IMO.

Eh some newer owners dont even know they were on the truck stock as the prior owners had removed them, lol.

I dont think these panels have TOO much to do with Aerodynamics unless at top speeds as Venemous mentioned.. but more for directing airflow to the Condenser and Radiator for cooling efficiency.
On the same note, I noticed on my own SRT-10 QC that the underhood Temps seemed pretty high especially during the hot Texas summers. So, I pulled the panels and drilled four 2 1/2" holes on a line evenly across each. Now I get the benefit of air directed to the Radiator area as well as air going over the top of the engine helping to reduce underhood temps. JMO..

I dont think these panels have TOO much to do with Aerodynamics unless at top speeds as Venemous mentioned.. but more for directing airflow to the Condenser and Radiator for cooling efficiency.
On the same note, I noticed on my own SRT-10 QC that the underhood Temps seemed pretty high especially during the hot Texas summers. So, I pulled the panels and drilled four 2 1/2" holes on a line evenly across each. Now I get the benefit of air directed to the Radiator area as well as air going over the top of the engine helping to reduce underhood temps. JMO..

Well guys, I urge you to read up on things like the critical area's on vehicles, ESPECIALLY Trucks, where aero drag can be reduced the most. Now I've posted on this topic previously and even provided images. On trucks like ours, eliminating airflow through the front grill would be a HUGE reduction in overall drag (about 14%). Take a look at what "Trainman" did to block off his grill when drag racing his truck. His example is excellent for this argument. However, it is not realistic given the cooling needs of the engine, especially on a day to day basis. The engineers did a fantastic job with the simplest component (Grill block off's) to do THREE major things.... minimize drag and maintain adequate cooling (190* minimum), diffusion cooling through radiator and engine bay plus provide an excellent duct for high pressure / high volume cool air to enter and feed the cold air intake for the engine.
Some claim better cooling with out block off's. I'd argue that with all things the same (no low temp t-stat installed etc.), the trucks cool better in rolling conditions with them. Besides, you really do not want to run an inefficient aluminum engine below 190*.

Different Ways To Cool An Engine - Hot Rod Network

Aero does not come into play until 150 mph?!? Tell that to the Racing Bicyclist doing 25 m.p.h. Or the motorcycle drag racer who makes sure to be in full tuck by the end of first gear. Or even the NASCAR team that decides to tape up the grill for the last 10 laps of a race. Remember, it takes 4 times the power to overcome drag at 80 mph vs. 40 mph. Take a look at the Fujita scale and it's effects on objects....65-85 can peel off roofs, damage gutters and break tree branches. 86-100 mph can overturn mobile homes. (Our front splitter and rear wing start to work good at 90). 111-135 mph cars get lifted off the ground! LOL...

Get the OP some block off's. :D

Last edited:
I doubt the grill block offs affect cooling whether they are installed or not.

My Viper's engine is CRAMMED into the engine bay with hardly any airflow anywhere near the engine.

Front is blocked.
Under the engine is blocked.
Sides are blocked.
Top is blocked. There is no airflow anywhere.

I doubt the grill block offs affect cooling whether they are installed or not.

My Viper's engine is CRAMMED into the engine bay with hardly any airflow anywhere near the engine.

Front is blocked.
Under the engine is blocked.
Sides are blocked.
Top is blocked. There is no airflow anywhere.

EXACTLY.;)

Your Viper is the epitome of "Diffusion Cooling" (Refer to Carroll Smith's book, "Tune To Win", Chapter 9, "Cooling and Internal Aerodynamics") Every square inch of the front fascia including the "mouth" was designed for maximum aero and minimum airflow through the core support to meet the engine and brakes cooling needs. The hood hot air extractors (nozzles) are in low pressure area's and the engine intake is in a high pressure area. The "gill's" behind the front wheels and in front of the doors also allows hot air to escape without sacrificing aero.

Remember, our truck grill block offs are not "just" for cooling. The truck cools well enough with the block offs to maintain the ideal engine temperature of 190* AND provide the properly sized "Inlet" for the "diffuser" (area in front of radiator mounted in the core support). They are more for aero and providing a nice scoop in a high pressure area to feed the fender well with a cool pool of air the engine can draw from. Less air through the front of vehicle results in less drag just like your Viper. Even the brake duct slots in the front of the truck are the smallest size required.

Cheers!:)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back