I think I'm going to be sick...

Azrider44

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I bought a 2004 srt-10 a few months back it only has 44,000 miles on it. I was getting ready to change the transmission oil when I noticed something that made my heart stop... I'm no mechanical genius but this just didn't look right to me... I don't quite know how to explain it since I'm new to the srt-10 but I'll attach pictures. I tried to include the engine oil drain plug in the pictures for reference on where this is located.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    720 KB · Views: 278
It won't let me attach more than one picture at a time for some reason

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    912.6 KB · Views: 211
rear seal regardless of mileage you have years... No biggie to fix.. ask anyone thats had a tranny between their legs:D

Good luck mate

thewelshm

So all that's wrong is a seal? Because it looks like there is a hole in my transmission...

Clutch slave cylinder leaking? Check the fluid level in the master cylinder next to the power brake booster. Any problems getting the trans into gear?

You only got 4 things to leak.
1. Rear main seal on engine.
2. Front input shaft seal on trans.
3. Slave cylinder inside bell
4. Intake, valve covers or some kind of upper leak on the back of the block. Something that would cause oil to run down between the engine and trans.

Last edited:
I'm freaking out about the gap... If you look in the gap you can see a gear. I figured that's where the oil came from I wasn't worried about all the oil as much as that gap. I thought there was a crack in my transmission or something

arrestme is right, thats just the inspection cover for the flywheel, the teeth you see are for the starter to engage and turn the motor. no oil from engine can come from there unless the input shaft seal is leaking

try to steam clean the WHOLE underside AFTER you take off the front lower belly pan, decent chance the oil is blowing back from the oil cooler lines that are known to leak. could be from somewhere else but you need to clean everything so you can narrow down where it starts dripping from

probably not the end of the whorld right now, lots of things to check, good luck

Oh ok thank god haha. I'm new to working on cars/trucks I've been working on motorcycles for about 5 years and I have never seen anything like this! I thought I had a huge gash in my transmission!! When I was installing my k&n air intake system today I had noticed some kind of oil lines that looked pretty leaky I can take pictures of those when I get back home.

No need to take pictures of the leaking oil cooler lines, they all do it.

There's your problem. Replace those oil lines & see if the problem goes away. Everyone on here has replaced theirs at least once. You might want to check your power steering lines also. Have fun with your new toy.

There's your problem. Replace those oil lines & see if the problem goes away. Everyone on here has replaced theirs at least once. You might want to check your power steering lines also. Have fun with your new toy.

I would recommend going with these ram srt oil line kti

Do not replace them with OEM unless you want to do it again in the near future. They are a little pricey but worth the piece of mind.

Last edited:
Thanks I'm definitely looking into some better oil lines now! I never even knew these were a frequent problem for our vehicles. And yes I am from Arizona! I'm stationed up in Alaska and I'm home on leave right now.

I was worried too about a gap in the same plate, but for my auto tranny. But I guess it is normal.

I'd take that to a mechanic and have him look at it. It appears to me that the bellhousing has been welded. It also looks like some nit wit pried the shield down, maybe to look at the throw out bearing. A welded bellhousing is no big thing, but that may not be the only welds and an alignment problem could toast the front seal on the tranny.

Thanks I'm definitely looking into some better oil lines now! I never even knew these were a frequent problem for our vehicles. And yes I am from Arizona! I'm stationed up in Alaska and I'm home on leave right now.

There's 2 of us in Gilbert. Both '04s

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back