I would drive this, would you?

scoobert

Has Left the Room - Banned from VTCOA!
Reaction score
http://www.tomsguide.com/us/hybrid-car-diesel-electric-greentech,news-9862.html

i remember back to when the last good hybrid was made. it was the original honda insight.
i didn't have the money then, but i wanted one.
now i have the money, and they all make me sick, with one exception.
this new one from VW. diesel, electric, light.
if they sold it, i believe i would drive it.
as long as noone comes out and puts a green sticker on it.

Interesting use of the technology... but, no.

HYDROGEN is where it's at. NO petroleum, NO emissions... and the most abundant fuel source in the universe. No brainer... too bad the Big Earl companies will never let it happen (because they have all the fuel distribution). :(

I would if I was needed to save on fuel. The only thing I don't like is the side panel covering the back wheel. Just looks odd.

I don't like the visual appearance of the car, but I do like the concept.

We well NEVER jump directly to electric or HYDROGEN. Our infrastructure is based on Gas Stations.

To move away from gas as a main source of fuel, we need to buy vehicles that use gas or diesel, and Electric. Diesel Electric would be best, just like this car. The owner can still drive 1000's of miles and use the current fuel infrastructure (AKA Gas Stations).

Diesel Electric vehicles have the ability to out perform all other types of internal combustion based engines. DEV's can be made to be faster then the fastest IC engine, DEV's can pull more the standard diesel engines, and the perfect off-road vehicle would be a DEV.

Electric motors produce near max torque from 1RPM and up.

Look at the super large dump trucks, they are Diesel Electric.

With off-road use, the motors would be in the hubs, all 4 hubs. with no drive line in the way, new suspension designs can be done to allow for much more wheel travel. and with computer controlled suspensions, moving each tire up / down allowing for easer off-road use.

The problem is the weight of the whole package, and batt life time. replacing the Batt's in such a ride, would be like rebuilding an engine, and cost more.

As the industry grows, and the market grows, the designs will improve. And as this happens over the decades, full electric will start to become a reality.

I truly believe we need to move towards Diesel electric.

If I ride my bicycle 6 days a week & drive my truck the other day then I average the same mpg as that ugly-ass car.

Last edited:
i would just like to stick it to the opec countries.
imagine if 1 million people bought that car.
we are talkling about a ground breaking car, not a prius that gets the same MPG as a civic nonhybrid.
even if it only got 100MPG thats a 300-400% better fuel economy.
problem is they will price it out of reach, probably come on the market at $100,000-60,000. this new car by GM is a joke. 60 grand for a car that still gets the same as a civic HX. civic HX was made for a while, that got an easy 50MPG.
i think long term is hydrogen, made by nuclear power. noone will ever try that thou, too revolutionary.

It would go about 2 feet in the winter up here and then become an unmoving snow plow.

Not practical in the north country. And it's butt ugly. And the price they sell it for will make up for the incredible gas mileage....so no gain.

thats just it. if they price it right, they could steel the entire market.
imagine just for a second, and you will have to cuz it will not happen, that they dumped it at 30,000 and it actually got 150mpg?
you would save 9500 every 100,000 miles over a 35MPG car.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back