Identify please

err76

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, When I took delevery of my truck when I had had surgery 3 days prior. I had a friend that I trust check out the undercarriage so I had not seen it until today.

Its an 06 QC, I wanted to get a close up of the exhaust so I could start scheming, what I saw is 4 cats 2 pipes going into a round 2 foot long muffler,, i get that,, but why the hell is there a smaller muffler between the big muffler and the tailpipes?

Next question, Can I cut out 2 of those cats and still pass inspection in the state of Georgia?

Thanks for the schoolin in advanced.

Eric

thats the rear cat and yes you can cut it out without any codes or failure of inspection

Troy's QC SRT said:
thats the rear cat and yes you can cut it out without any codes or failure of inspection
It has 5 cats total?

And that thing buy the tail pipes is a resonator....... "UPS Truck Sound Simulator"

it has two cats between the manifold and muffler, then muffler and two more cats after that bud. just get them cut out and youll be good.....Where in Ga are you that sniffs or inspects exhaust? must be upper Ga. somewhere cause they sure dont do it in Savannah.....

Ok, im getting confused,,,, Exhaust manifolds go to 2 cats each and then into the muffler. After the muffler theres another cat, then resonator and then tailpipes?

You have a total of 4 cats stock all before the muffler. They all look the same. You have a muffler, and a resonator. Two cats can come out without an issue, the ones after the o2 sensors. The resonator can also come out to make the truck sound better or go with aftermarket cat back system.

Troy's QC SRT said:
it has two cats between the manifold and muffler, then muffler and two more cats after that bud. just get them cut out and youll be good.....Where in Ga are you that sniffs or inspects exhaust? must be upper Ga. somewhere cause they sure dont do it in Savannah.....

I was curious,, my cert is good for a year, I just dont know what they search for or look at on an emissions test. Am in Paulding county btw

You can also go with catless mid pipes with o2 sims an a cat back as well. Or just one set of hiflow cats. Really same except for a little odor without cats. And possible inspection issues depending on your location.

TREKER said:
You have a total of 4 cats stock all before the muffler. They all look the same. You have a muffler, and a resonator. Two cats can come out without an issue, the ones after the o2 sensors. The resonator can also come out to make the truck sound better or go with aftermarket cat back system.

Thats it exactly! thanks for helping me out bud! But when all said and done the only thing you need to pass inspection is the first pair of cats and a muffler

if your on a budget and just looking to free up what you have, just cut out the two cats and resinator and leave it alone until your ready to do headers or jsut a catless mid with 02 sims to prevent codes..... I recommend saving the cash, getting catless mids with )2 sims and a catback exhaust of your choice......

Troy's QC SRT said:
if your on a budget and just looking to free up what you have, just cut out the two cats and resinator and leave it alone until your ready to do headers or jsut a catless mid with 02 sims to prevent codes..... I recommend saving the cash, getting catless mids with )2 sims and a catback exhaust of your choice......

Tis prolly what I am going to do. Any Idea what it will sound like with the stock muffler?

err76 said:
Tis prolly what I am going to do. Any Idea what it will sound like with the stock muffler?

Im not forsure bro, I have a magnaflow catback and I really like the sound......there not that expensive either.....

err76 said:
Loud as hell:p once you remove those cats you unleash the beast. Unless you have a shop that will do a decent exhaust JMB performance has a good set. That big ass mac muffler is only good for weight I put in 2 16 inch bullets to quite down the stock muffler. But that bitch is coming out next.;)

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back