idle hangs a little

so you guys all think its the tune.. My truck ran awesome when I first got it, then gradually kept getting worse.. Replaced the TPS a couple times and it fixed it for a day.. now it wont stop and worse than ever..
Can a tune change without me touching it ? Curious what would cause it to change and act diff.

I have full BB exhaust and cold air, dealer thinks I have stock tune.. So wondering how much I would benefit from a tune. I might want to change the stock gear first then grab a tune on this bad boy

Remove the cable and run the throttle shaft my hand, look to see what is binding and where. If no where then check the cable.

The thought of having two different idle speeds depending on if the cable runs over the ramp or not, along with hitting the throttle pedal and changing the speed, makes me think you have something binding.

just replaced my tps from rock auto since mine was *cough* shot.. think it was 15 bucks 17 shipped.

dont think they are suppose to have holes like this in them lol

photobucket-37455-1369609065841_zps265a5f5f.jpg

so you guys all think its the tune..

I would not just tune around it, I would diagnose the issue prior to adding a tune. Do you have any way you can see what the PCM is reading for TPS when it hangs up?

Remove the cable and run the throttle shaft my hand, look to see what is binding and where. If no where then check the cable.

The thought of having two different idle speeds depending on if the cable runs over the ramp or not, along with hitting the throttle pedal and changing the speed, makes me think you have something binding.

Motor off: cable over top of ramp, throttle snaps back, but does bounce a little. Acts like cable is just long enough, but always snaps completely closed

motor on: cable over top of ramp, throttle snaps back, but sticks most of time at 2500 . slightly goose gas and idle drops to normal

Motor on: cable under ramp, throttle snaps back, but sticks most of time at 1500rpm. slightly goose gas and idle drops to normal

I checked cable while unattached and seems very smooth, zero binding
I checked TB off truck and it snaps back everytime with authority. Same while bolted to truck but cable completely unattached, zero binding, snaps back with authority

The older bbk TB had issues with being stuck open..did you buy your bbk new?

no sir.. im not sure when it was bought cause it came with my truck. I suspect previous owner bought it a while ago. Truck just sat in his garage more than anything with only 10k miles on the clock.. So very well could be an older model

Have you disconnected battery and done a PCM reset since TPS change? Do you have codes after cycling key to on/off on/off on/off three times in odometer display? :dontknow:

Motor off: cable over top of ramp, throttle snaps back, but does bounce a little. Acts like cable is just long enough, but always snaps completely closed

motor on: cable over top of ramp, throttle snaps back, but sticks most of time at 2500 . slightly goose gas and idle drops to normal

Motor on: cable under ramp, throttle snaps back, but sticks most of time at 1500rpm. slightly goose gas and idle drops to normal

I checked cable while unattached and seems very smooth, zero binding
I checked TB off truck and it snaps back everytime with authority. Same while bolted to truck but cable completely unattached, zero binding, snaps back with authority

What's the chances of the throttle cable bracket that's bolted to the intake being bent or installed wrong? Seems like you say the cable almost appears to be too short, maybe tweak the bracket and get more "slack" in the cable.

I think the initial focus needs to be on why you have two different speeds with the cable locations, get that sorted first and then see what happens. You don't have any goofy throttle body spacers do you?

What's the chances of the throttle cable bracket that's bolted to the intake being bent or installed wrong? Seems like you say the cable almost appears to be too short, maybe tweak the bracket and get more "slack" in the cable.

I think the initial focus needs to be on why you have two different speeds with the cable locations, get that sorted first and then see what happens. You don't have any goofy throttle body spacers do you?

no sir,, nothing appears goofy on my bracket. Everything appears to be setup correctly.. And this only happens when truck is ON.. if truck is off I cant get cable or throttle body to stick..

Checking the on/off key codes still

well, i replaced the IAC and that seemed to have fixed my issue. Thanks Tony for all your time and help along with everyone else on here

my idle is so fkin gay, Ive changed all the sensors, and still at red lights it acts like it wants to die. Only for like a second though, it doesnt stay that way. But it still pisses me off. F it. Im just gonna let it stay that way, POS.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back