Interior trim removal/disassembly

Vman455

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd like to paint the faux-aluminum pieces around the radio, above the glove box, and on the doors, but I can't figure out how they separate from the panels they're attached to without getting out some power tools (I'm looking at the radio bezel right now, and it looks like the eleven attachment points are permanent or semi-permanent plastic plugs). I know people have done this--but how? I don't want to break anything inadvertently...

Hang tight. I know Dom has his painted to match is stripes. He'll chime in soon. If not PM 505sfastest......

the door panels have to be removed, they are glued into the door and on the rear the rivets are melted in. so they have to be drilled , then rescrewed back into the door panels, the one on the dash, you can either completley remove the dash to get to the back side or slowly and carefully pry it off, it too is plastic welded on, and than go back with double sided tape

all the dash pieces, including the radio trim , even the door panels is not bad, the door panels , jsut take them off and you will see how they are dont, but there is a ton of those riveets:argh: but that one piece above the glove box, ............ well , jsut be careful, take your time, heck I got to call dodge tommorrow, I will find out how much a new one is , it might jsut pay, ;)

Yeah, that glove box trim piece is the first one I tried; then I got frustrated and removed the radio bezel to see how those pieces are actually secured. I'm thinking now it might be easier and more efficient to just mask off the surrounding areas and paint them as they sit (at least the glove box).

Vman455 said:
I'm thinking now it might be easier and more efficient to just mask off the surrounding areas and paint them as they sit (at least the glove box).
sounds easier to me. :)

post some pics of your truck.......... tacoma ?? ya gotta come to one of our next PNW GTG's...........:rock:

I'm gonna go ahead and give my opinion here. Don't paint anything! The only way, and I do mean the ONLY way to make it look truly professional is to remove them and have a painter do them. If you do it yourself & tape it off I promise you it won't look good after a while, in fact give it a few months and it'll look downright hideous. I run into this very often with used vehicles(especially neon srt4s), and I hate fixing other peoples messups. It won't look good when you go to sell your truck. Now, that being said if you want to remove the parts completely and have them professionaly refinished that's the only way to go. Otherwise you will be sorry you did it. Cyall!

we did not remove them my painter painted them still intact came out very good!!!!!
GetAttachment-6aspx-2.jpg

PA290030.jpg

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back