Is my engine being detuned?

VIPER D.N.A

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ive got error code p 0420 showing up, I looked on the forum and its a catalytic code, which I dont understand cause my sims are plugged in correctly. But if I cant get rid of the light, will the computer detune my engine bacause of it? I dont feel any change but I also dont drive the truck that much. TIA

you got the code 420 and you dont understand? ....truck has the munchies

i wish i could help ya

VIPER D.N.A said:
Ive got error code p 0420 showing up, I looked on the forum and its a catalytic code, which I dont understand cause my sims are plugged in correctly. But if I cant get rid of the light, will the computer detune my engine bacause of it? I dont feel any change but I also dont drive the truck that much. TIA

How many miles on the sims??? What exaust?? cats or ?????? Stock PCM???

Do you do a bit of city / easy driving???

The reason I am asking is these trucks are tuned to run Rich with stock PCM and even with a Flashed PCM, things like ideling in traffic, too easy driving leaves a lot of carbon running thru the exaust system and some folks have had problems with the censors becoming Coated/ Fouled to the point the do not work.

Some folks have used anti fouling spark plug extentions to move the censor out of the main exaust stream to prevent the Coating while letting the censor still recieve enough gases that they work properly. :D :D

I beleive there are kits available as I have seen a thread or two about this :D

Your engine is fine. Like the others said, your sensor may be fouled or going bad. These sensors don't last forever. If you reset it, it may go away and not come back. The heat could clear it on its own. That or your Cats are really going bad or clogged. Put some high flows in or cut them out if you can.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back