Is this a rod bearing?

earl lee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have some fucking shitty luck. First my wheels get jacked now this. Over the weekend I started it up and the truck was fine. My tires came in yesterday, my father put them without me around and the truck fell off the bricks it was on it. He got the tires on and went inside. I stop by to put my center caps on then I was about to go take a short drive because I havent drove it in a month in a half. When i start it, I hear this damn noise.

https://youtu.be/19oeigpLdAY

Did I spin a rod bearing? What are my options. Im so mad right now. :mad:

I know I'm new here, but I've been restoring chevy muscle cars for quite some time (lots of engine building) and that does not sound like a spun bearing to me. Maybe something hitting as mentioned. Is the oil pressure good? Almost sounds like something came unhooked or loosened.

I know I'm new here, but I've been restoring chevy muscle cars for quite some time (lots of engine building) and that does not sound like a spun bearing to me. Maybe something hitting as mentioned. Is the oil pressure good? Almost sounds like something came unhooked or loosened.

My oil pressure cold idle is at 70. I have good oil pressure.

Tensioner?

It is the stock one, would it really make a noise that bad? If I take the belt off and run it, I guess Ill know in the morning.

I was leaning toward lifter, but I dont know. I'll remove the belt in the morning.

I must thank you guys for being more optimistic then my ass. Between getting my wheels stolen and now this im just going through it.

Take off the covers and check your valvetrain, if anything is loose.
Doesnt sound like a rod bearing to me.

Sounds like a broken valve spring bud. Not a tensioner or bearing. Pull valve covers off and look for broken spring. Cheer up too :)

Sounds like a broken valve spring bud. Not a tensioner or bearing. Pull valve covers off and look for broken spring. Cheer up too :)

Broken valve spring is alot cheaper to repair then a rod bearing, so thats great news at least.

Im going to pull off the covers and ill report back.

Thanks everybody.

Broken valve spring is alot cheaper to repair then a rod bearing, so thats great news at least.

Im going to pull off the covers and ill report back.

Thanks everybody.

Let us know. I have good extras or I can set you up with a fresh set (recommended)

I removed the belt and the noise was still there. I was going to take the valve covers off but stopped as I wouldnt be able to replace a busted valve,rocker, etc myself anyway.

Im going to have to find a mechanic with experience with these motors and have them tear it down. Rebuild will likely happen.

I'd snatch the cover to ease some stress. Only takes a few minutes. Listen closely which side it seems to be coming from.

I took the valve covers off. I noticed one rocker arm was bent slightly vs ithe one next to it? It also did not move as it was frozen. I had 2 that were frozen and 8 that could move. My vid will hopefully help explain what I saw.

https://youtu.be/ybGdI8o4fy8

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back