Jerky ride

mr.srt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok, got my srt10 rc now and drove it around some.
(excuse my english, im gonna try to explain what i mean :)

But theres some things im wondering about.

So when i accelerate and let the car slow down, still in gear, when i reach low speed the car kinda jerks back and fourth alitle bit.
It isnt smooth like any other car. Feels like the sometings lose (loose...?)

Is the srt like this or can it be some sort of slack in the rear axle or something maybe?

The car is orginal btw..

Do you down shift when slowing down? Sounds like you might be in a higher gear (4th or 5th) when slowing down and your RPMs are too low which could cause the truck to jerk like that.:dontknow:

when you push the clutch in, does it immediately go away?

Yeah it does.

That's a large range. Can you verify?

I tested and it seems to be around the 1500 range.
Its only when its "hanging" on the gear, and when i have a litle bit throttle.
Kinda annoying when driving through town in slow speed.

And im in 1 or 2 gear when its most noticable.
Its not because of high gear and low rpm, its not that kinda jerking. :)

Last edited:
I tested and it seems to be around the 1500 range.
Its only when its "hanging" on the gear, and when i have a litle bit throttle.
Kinda annoying when driving through town in slow speed.

Does your truck have a tune on it?

what is a tune..? :D

You meen a sound when this happends? If so, no nothing out of the normal.

While accelerating as the Rpms drop the idle air control valve will allow a little air past the throttle body blades around that rpm. It's noticeable as a slight decrease in engine braking and will be more apparent when you slow down without braking. It is normal operation. If it is exaggerated or doing it more than normal, the iac may be a little dirty causing it to open more and over compensate. This will cause a more dramatic reduction in engine braking. Furthermore, this effect is more noticeable when there is more miles or wear and tear on the drive line resulting in more drive line lash. What is happening is, while you are engine braking in decel, the rpms drop to 1500, the iac opens to maintain idle, engine vacuum is decreased, this reduces engine braking, the slack in the drive line causes a lurch of loading and unloading. Manual transmissions notice this, autos generally do not as the torque converter absorbs the differential in torque.

Another way you can identify this is when you have a performance exhaust with catless mids. When engine braking, initially there will be some crackle and pop, then a smooth growl till rpms drop then right around 1500 rpms you will hear just a few more pops. This is a result of the open-shut-open action of the Iac.

Again, normal operation, don't worry, if you do anything, clean the iac yourself, and check for wear on your u joints, or jack your truck up and turn the rear wheels back and forth and note excessive play.

Wow, thanks! Thats sounds exacly like whats happening, and yes the exhaust pop and crackle when i slow down on the gears. According to previous owner its an stock exhaust, but it pops and crackle alot :)

The car has 23000 miles on it so its not much, but I will jack it up this weekend and check the drive line and clean the iac. :D
Is this something i can tighten up myself?

It's normal and won't ever completely go away... It's the difference in using more rpms, or pulling out of gear and coasting...

There's a spot in my neighborhood where my truck always does this... Did it the same at 15k miles and at 110k miles when a new trans, clutch, and driveshaft were installed...

There's a spot in my neighborhood where my truck always does this... Did it the same at 15k miles and at 110k miles when a new trans, clutch, and driveshaft were installed...

There you have it: proof that this problem is 100% operator error :D

I cant believe i actually found this on here...this forum has literally anything and everything an srt-10 owner will ever need...THANKS GUYS!! (but where is the IAC valve located..??) Mine is at 24,000 miles and doing the SAME THING!!

I LOVE JERKEY TOO...MAN EVERYTHING IS ON HERE!!!...ITS GOTA BE ON THE MANIFOLD/INTAKE...IM GUNNA LOOK AT MINE AT LUNCH...I would at least remove it and make shure its not sticking or shitted up....

Last edited:
I have something similar for a long time. Well long in time not in milage, truck only has 5200 miles on it. Any way I notice when going through town in say 3rd gear and I am guessing around 2000 rpm, but old age is hard to remember. Anyway I notice that you will get some surging that is either fuel or igntion related. You can hear the exhaust note change when it does it, it seems to do it at a pretty regular cycle. Almost like the AC kicking on and off in a vehicle that doesn't have enough power to run it. I just wrote it off as normal :dontknow:

its normal in any manual trani vehicle ,,, just get on the clutch a lil then add some throttle and it goes away... ..

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back