Just installed Caltracs

WOT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just finished up my Caltracs install today. I took out the bottom thick leaf of the spring. Now the truck rides smoother and has absolutely no wheel hop whatsoever. It tracks so much better now. :rock:

In the 3k miles that I've owned my RC I must say that it has always tracked straight and when the tires spin there is no wheel hop with the OEM Pirelli's. How 'bad' was the tracking & wheel hop prior to Caltracs?

The tire hop was bad at times. It would mostly do it when it just barely broke loose, or if the pavement was bad. QC's don't have the anti-hop shock on top of the diff like the RC's do. During the 1-2 shift, sometimes you could feel the axle move around a little. The caltracs fixed that.

WOT said:
The tire hop was bad at times. It would mostly do it when it just barely broke loose, or if the pavement was bad. QC's don't have the anti-hop shock on top of the diff like the RC's do. During the 1-2 shift, sometimes you could feel the axle move around a little. The caltracs fixed that.
:rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock:

Plus you hook up better....way less tire burn off the line.

Cruster said:
:rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock:

Plus you hook up better....way less tire burn off the line.

Very true. I did some testing last night. If I just press it to the floor from a dead stop, it no longer spins at all if the concrete is perfect. And on the occasions where it does spin (pavement not perfect, etc), it recovers quicker and hooks up.

Plus, the biggest change I noticed was that my shifts feel so much better. I have the HTS valve body in my tranny and it shifts firm. Now, with the caltracs, the shifts feel so much softer since the axle doesn't clunk around during the 1-2 and 2-3 shifts. I am surpised at how much of the shift harshness was due to axle movement.

It still shifts firm, but there is way less drama now.

caltracs are the sheeeoooottt!!!!! congrats on the install.

i want to get a pair but i love spinning the tires...just not effective at the track!

Troy's QC SRT said:
i want to get a pair but i love spinning the tires...just not effective at the track!

Too true, but if you stall it to about 1500rpm or so, maybe 18 you can still do about 6 feet depending on surface, but you can't set em on fire anymore:(
but you get a nice "bark" when it shifts:D :D

Plus, the biggest change I noticed was that my shifts feel so much better. I have the HTS valve body in my tranny and it shifts firm. Now, with the caltracs, the shifts feel so much softer since the axle doesn't clunk around during the 1-2 and 2-3 shifts. I am surpised at how much of the shift harshness was due to axle movement.

It still shifts firm, but there is way less drama now.[/QUOTE]

:rock: :rock: :rock: I was too.

Have you been on a really rough road yet? They bang loudly if not tight enough and too tight and your ass end starts to rise. I fiddled with mine a bunch...did a lengthy post on it it you are interested. Anyway, cool you got em on!!!

Yeah, they definitely clank around on rough roads when loose and jack the rear end when too tight. I think I'll try to rig up some type of pastic or urethane pads to go on top of the spring under the contact point of the belcrank peice.

ha ha i bet you can and im sure the mods in your sig have nothing to do with that at all;)

Can't wait to put mine on!!

oh wait! I still have to order them, and then be home to install them.... :p:D

Love mine .... Will still spin them tires right off if ya really want to .....

100_3675s.jpg

Jim

05' Dodge said:
Are the caltracs still good if you drive the truck on a daily basis? I've been thinkin of getting some.

i believe so ive only drove mine maybe 50 miles since the install and dnt see a problem with having them on there, there helping with traction so if ur driving on a daily basis u might make it to the places u got to go a lil bit faster:rock:

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back