Just purchased Truck, ugly tranny issue

beaucanada

Reaction score
Hi guys. New to the forum. I have read a lot about the clutch and tranny issues on these trucks. Now, I'm part of the problem.

I purchased an 04 Ram SRT 10 in August. 13,000 miles when I first got the truck, 15,000 on it now. About a month ago, it started kicking out of reverse while I was backing up. It wouldn't do it all the time so I thought it was user error. I thought I wasn't getting it into gear all the way. Just before we were leaving for Thanksgiving, I couldn't even back into my spot. I ran it down to the dealership and told them the issue. The service agent tells me that if it's the tranny, it will be covered under the drive train warranty.

Monday I get the dreaded call, it is the tranny and there isn't a drive train warranty on the RAM SRT. :mad: $5000 to replace. That's 25% of the value of the truck!!!! OUCH!!!!

I read about the viper master and centerforce clutch replacements on the forum. Does anyone think that will fix this issue? Should I take it to a tranny shop and have them fix the exact issue for less $$? Or.....should I replace the tranny, the master, the clutch, and the fly wheel?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Beau

Sounds more like a clutch problem than tranny, contact Justin @ JMB Performance, He is or drivetrain Guru. DO NOT PAY 5000.00 for a tranny, we will find yo one if necessary

I am sure you can get a tranny cheaper. Get the parts shipped out of the states and go to a trusted tranny shop. If you have the cash the centerforce with master and slave is always a good option...

It wouldn't hurt to get a 2nd opinion from another dealer, or a shop specializing in performance transmissions.

I wouldn't toss parts at it until you knew exactly what was going on.

Is that the only problem, is it wouldn't stay in reverse? That COULD be an issue with the shifter itself if all the forward gears work as they should.

Good luck!!!

That same thing has been happening to another member here for a long time. He just crams it in to reverse and holds it there:dontknow: Problem solved

im not to convinced its a clutch problem but more of a trans issue. most of the time the issue with clutches are the pedel hits the floor. the fact that it pops out of reverse sounds to me like your dealer is correct and it is a trans issue.

gl man

Wow, thanks guys for the fast response. I'm calling Justin now and getting a 2nd opinion from a performance shop. Do you guys know anyone in South Florida that I should go to?

Mine does it. When it wont go in at all I have to slowly let out on the clutch while putting force on the shifter. IT click in. But if i get on the gas it pops out. Its starting to require more and more force to hold into gear. Your saying that sounds like a clutch? I havent narrowed it down yet, but clutch doesnt seem the culprit.

If you need a full tranny let me make some calls, I may be able to come up with one.

but Justin also can get the tranny rebuilt for alot less also;)

get back with you later today

it sounds like a minor problem.linkage? these guys that responded to you are the pros on this, all the other gears are working,like one of vtcoa pointed out,stinker is the man. ....................welcome to the asylum:D

Guys, Justin from JMB Performance just replied with this: "Sounds like the trans to me, we just had a local truck get his replaced for the same issue."

I'm going to find a shop to give it a second opinion. I will let you know as soon as I have it.

sounds like tranny or shifter to me. and for the guys having to force the tranny in reverse with alot of pressure, DONT DO THAT!!!:D :D :D :D :D if it wont go in reverse the first time put it in first and let out the clutch just enough to make the truck move about 6 inches then try reverse again :marchmellow: :marchmellow: :marchmellow: :marchmellow: :marchmellow: :marchmellow: only problem i have ever had with the srt10 tranny was mine liked to blow up slave cylinders :dontknow: :dontknow: :dontknow: :dontknow: nothing like passing a slow semi on a country road with traffic coming head on and u cant get out of second gear :argh: :argh: :argh: :argh: :argh:

if it is the tranny i think FSTJACK has a extra one he might be willing to part with. youd have to ask him.

quotes so far:

mantrans.com $2,600 total cost including shipping and core return. 1 year warranty unlimited miles.

A1A auto company (Used 2006 rolled over with 100 miles) $2,800 including shipping.

Premier Transmissions $2530. Includes clutch assembly, 2 year unlimited mile warranty, shipping and core return.

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back