Just purchased Truck, ugly tranny issue

welcome aboard ---stinker can also get you a auto trans for I believe around 3k ;)

I have another T56 but I am going to send it to GForce to get it built.

GForce seems to be the place to have a T56 modified to handle big HP & TQ numbers.

Heard about a lot of breakage from the others.

Quick question did the dealer pull the tranny? If so did they tell you what the problem was? Just don't see how they could tell what it was without pulling it apart.

Brandom

furgy667, no the dealer didn't take it out. Their process is what it is. It's not 100% which is why everyone is telling me to get a 2nd opinion from a performance tranny shop. But reading from the results of others having the same problem, it's looking more and more like the dealer is right.

Stinker, no worries. I really appreciate the help!

JTJasper2002, that looks great but what is a level IV upgrade? It sounds like I need a working tranny before I can get the upgrade. I will give them a call in the morning. If I could get a new tranny for $1700, I'll buy you a case of your favorite brew for finding it!!!

Tooloe said:
hell mine won't go into reverse either! it's just the clutch man
Sounds like He's having a problem with it staying in gear, no prob getting it there, and just 1 gear, so it would most likely be a tranny prob. When the prob. is getting it into gear, especially more than 1, then it's prob. the clutch and/or hydraulics. jmho

I know the problem, my truck did the exact same thing. I pulled the tranny out and took it apart. The problem is on the shift forks have these plastic tabs that go over the end of each fork where it fits into the shift collar. What happens is the plastic pieces break and then now you have excessive clearance between the fork and collar. So the syncro doesnt fully engage, this works fine for a while if you put excessive force on your shifter holding it into gear, but eventually the syncro wears out and the two gears dont grip each other anymore. What I did to solve the problem was I ordered a rebuild kit from Six Speeds Inc and also new brass spacers to go in place of the plastic spacers on all the shift forks. I put the tranny together myself and it works great (other than I suck at hitting 3rd). Download a service manual from the site here, someone can post a link and you can follow it. Fairly easy to rebuild, need a press and bearing splitters to remove bearings though, the manual will walk you right through it. The only tough part was putting the 2 cases back together and getting the shift linkage all in the proper locations, its kinda a complex system. Something else I recommend is replacing the bushings in the top of the case that the shift rod travels through. Mine were in bad shape causing the shifter to be ultra stiff and hard to shift. Then use a synthetic ATF fluid when you fill it back up, the factory gear oil is shit. If you need any help or advise let me know and I can try to walk you through it. Also just for your information Six Speed Inc sucks to deal with, it took like 4 months for them to send me parts, some of them were used (all the snaprings), I got I think a full extra set of bearings and they blamed everything on the shipping companies which was bs. I think in total I spent maybe $2200 on parts to fix it up. I just tried to get some links for you but there site is under construction, I did find some other forums and they have the same issues with parts taking forever to recieve. Where are you located in Canada? If you arnt too far away I would be happy to help.

Last edited:
Oh ya and dont put the tranny in the back of your old ladys SUV with it still full of oil and no shifter on it. When you nail the brakes cause of some moron trying to pass with not enough room coming straight at you the tranny will fall over covering the back of the car with that nasty stinky shitty oil and the smell never leaves.

beaucanada, let me know what they say cause i need to get mine rebuilt again. I had my truck 5 days and went to leave work and it would not go into reverse... Took it back to the dealership and it took them almost a month to get the parts. then when they did put it back togather it was grinding in 3rd and 4th... So they ordered some more parts and had to try again... now after 9 months its starting to grind going into 3rd and 4th. but only when the tranny is still cold... if you dont have a warranty on the truck, i would take it to someone that has experience rebuilding the t-56s... just my 2 cents

Im sorry to hear about your tranny... perfect excuse to get a high performance one thrown in there....

JTJasper2002, that tranny price is for an upgrade of a working tranny. You take your tranny out, send it, and they recondition your tranny. While the upgrade may fix the problem, it also may not. They will, however, fix whatever else is wrong for an additional charge.

yellowfever#154, thanks for the tips and your offer to help. Everyone on this form has been way more helpful than the shops I have been too. Sorry to hear about your wife's suv. My wife would NEVER let me put a tranny in her car. I'm surprised she let you..... Actually, my last name is Canada. I get asked if I'm from Canada all the time. Which is why we named our boat "Not From Canada". We live in South Florida.

Looks like $2500 (plus install labor) is the cheapest so far for a whole tranny with a 2 year warranty. Or.....I can take it to a repair shop and that's looking like $1700 with no warranty. I'm still looking.....

beaucanada said:
JTJasper2002, that tranny price is for an upgrade of a working tranny. You take your tranny out, send it, and they recondition your tranny. While the upgrade may fix the problem, it also may not. They will, however, fix whatever else is wrong for an additional charge.

yellowfever#154, thanks for the tips and your offer to help. Everyone on this form has been way more helpful than the shops I have been too. Sorry to hear about your wife's suv. My wife would NEVER let me put a tranny in her car. I'm surprised she let you..... Actually, my last name is Canada. I get asked if I'm from Canada all the time. Which is why we named our boat "Not From Canada". We live in South Florida.

Looks like $2500 (plus install labor) is the cheapest so far for a whole tranny with a 2 year warranty. Or.....I can take it to a repair shop and that's looking like $1700 with no warranty. I'm still looking.....
http://www.g-forcetransmissions.com/ mine was only about 5300 to rebuild rated to 1700 hp

505'sFastestViper,

$4385 for the g-force upgrade including shipping. only changing gears 1-4. They would still have to fix my reverse problem.

Ummmmmm. No. I have a daily driver. No need for a 900 hp tranny.

Thanks anyway.

I would talk to someone else. Not to scare you but I had the same prob. It wouldn't go into revese then when it did it would pop out. First gear was a nightmare!!!!! My tranny went out! Mine was under a warranty thank goodness. But if you are just starting to have these problems then I would have some one take a look at it before the whole tranny goes...... I am no mechanic but thats my .02

Mine has been both hard to get into reverse and some times pop out. But when it happens if I put it in first and let out on the clutch a little and try reverse again it works great. I'm no tranny expert,:eek: but that leads me to think it's my syncros, or maybe the shifter fork. Also ihave had acouple apart before though, and the last was my old Srt-4. It would get stuck in 2nd and jump out of 3rd. Turns out I had broken an ear off the shifter fork for second (from shifting too hard from 1st to 2nd with a worn out clutch), and third was the syncros (also from my shifting habbits I'm sure). If you havnt already, try to shift into first next time it does it. If that helps then I would say it's the syncros, that's just my thoughts. Also they're not too bad to work on, just hard to get rid of the fluid smell on your hands though.

Welcome and good luck!:D

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back