k & N intake question

SSSSE YA

Reaction score
I just purchased a 06 RC SRT/10 and want to add a cold air intake and a magnaflow cat back. After doing some home work I found two part numbers for the K & N intake the first one is 57-1541 and the other one is 63-1107. Does anybody know the differences in the two part numbers?
And if anybody has a used intake or cat back please let me know.:)
Thanks Robert

The 63 uses the biggest air filter possible, and isnt 50 state legal. The 57 is CA approved.
I went with the 63 for no restrictions.
I also trimmed the black plastic behind the grill to get straight thru air flow, and SOTP is noticable, esp in cold temps. O and it sounds awsome.

Last edited:
SSSSE YA said:
I just purchased a 06 RC SRT/10 and want to add a cold air intake and a magnaflow cat back. After doing some home work I found two part numbers for the K & N intake the first one is 57-1541 and the other one is 63-1107. Does anybody know the differences in the two part numbers?
And if anybody has a used intake or cat back please let me know.:)
Thanks Robert

Robert,

My advice to you on the K&N intake is this: Lose BOTH of the part numbers and save your money. Make a CD of an old 350 Chev 4 barrel under full throttle and play it in your truck, that way you can still get the sound the K&N C.A.I. kit provides. Also, lift the throttle slightly to give the effect of the LOSS IN POWER the K&N also gives you for the money.

I have a B&B exhaust and really like it. That and a K&N DROP IN filter is the way to go I.M.H.O.

Ron

Man don't know what you got but my aircharger instantly added more hole shot and also faster times to 100!!!!:burnout: :burnout: :burnout:

Rockin Ronnie said:
Man don't know what you got but my aircharger instantly added more hole shot and also faster times to 100!!!!:burnout: :burnout: :burnout:

I'm glad yours worked for you.

Mine however LOST 8 horsepower on the dyno and 11 foot pounds of torque.
This was confirmed with back to back pulls. And yes I drove it for 1,000 miles before testing it on the dyno...

I couldn't get that piece of crap out from under the hood fast enough...

Ron

Well you know what that's the beauty of America baby!!! If you like it do it and if you don't .........don't.....!!!!!!!:D

rottenronnie said:
I'm glad yours worked for you.

Mine however LOST 8 horsepower on the dyno and 11 foot pounds of torque.
This was confirmed with back to back pulls. And yes I drove it for 1,000 miles before testing it on the dyno...

I couldn't get that piece of crap out from under the hood fast enough...

Ron

WOW, I had no idea it did this. I lost all my OEM parts so I guess I'm kinda screwed?

HDVIPER said:
WOW, I had no idea it did this. I lost all my OEM parts so I guess I'm kinda screwed?

Do some searches, this thread isn't new. I think MOST of the C.A.I. kits did little or nothing in naturally aspirated applications.

I mean give it a try, some guys like the sound; maybe that will be enough for you too...

Ron

I think on a dyno your not really getting much fresh air thru the grill from a fan to feed the CAI some fresh air. On the street thats a diff story.

rottenronnie said:
Do some searches, this thread isn't new. I think MOST of the C.A.I. kits did little or nothing in naturally aspirated applications.

I mean give it a try, some guys like the sound; maybe that will be enough for you too...

Ron

Well, the problem is, I've already got it on. I am screwed if it loses power cause I've already "misplaced" my oem stuff. Oh well, it's all good!! I still love the sound! :dancing:

Big problem with the k and N deal is the heat soak loss. As your engine gets hot it heats up the k and N heat shield and you can feel the loss of power. If I was to do it over again, I would not buy it. But I dont hate it so much as to put the stock one back in. I like the sound though. Several members have insulated it which may or may not help. I have been meaning to do that myself but keep forgeting.

patrick

I imagine with all the air flowing in the front and the heat escaping from the hood scoop (due to the negative pressure infront of it) that once you hit highway speed for a minute or so the engine bay cools off enough to reverse this. Heatsoak is a killer especially if you hit the stip. I personally dont hit the strip but once a year and more importanly have noticed that in traffic the water and Oil temp climbs above 200 degrees. I quick jont on the highway brings me back down to 180 (oil takes a bit longer).

Back