Launching techniques

prochargedsrt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just wondering how all of you single cab srt-10 guys try to launch off the line, holding about 2000 rpm and letting the clutch out fast but not dumping it just burns the clutch, dumping it at too high of rpm blows the tires off it, dumping it too low just bogs the launch.

What do you guys do to get the best launch?

If your smoking the clutch maybe it's time for a new one.
Practice, practice, practice!

Quick racing how-to from ‪#‎Venomous1Racing‬
Since it's that time of year Post vids, have fun and break records!
Posting here to help avoid typing it over and over in PMs and texts. Lol
Hope it helps y'all
Scott
Ok let's start.
Bring a helmet! Wear your seat belt! Now we have safety out of the way, you'll want absolutely nothing in your bed! Clean! You don't wanna drop a screw, nail, cd, ice chest or a penny on the precious 1320 (1/4 mile)!
Lower rear air pressure to 20, raise fronts to 45! Normal should be 32-34 psi.
If possible, go around water box, into track, then back into water box. This way your front tires aren't dripping water for you to spin on off the line If you can't, no biggie, go through water box, then stop with rear tires past water box. (Track attendant may guide you to where they'd like to to clean off tires/SMALL burnout. No smoke show!!!!!! Just clean off the water from water box. Smoke shows are for slicks to get rubber sticky. Street tires will get slipperier!! Just clean off and slowly approach the start line/tree. As you slowly approach tree/start line note the very top lights of tree. These tell you that you are at starting line. The first bulb is pre-stage. Light that bulb, wait for opponent, prepare yourself, and be ready. Once opponent lights his pre-stage bulb. Go forward very slightly again and you'll light the second light, the Staged light. Meaning you are ready for tree to count down and race to start. If you have no opponent do just as above without waiting for their staging lights. "Cutting a good light" also known as when you leave once tree is green to start, has NO effect on your time!!! Only matters if you are bracket racing, not for your personal best time. In other words, if tree counts down, and your not quite ready, take a second (1-2 seconds literally!!) then mash the gas! It won't affect your time as timer doesn't start till you move, not when light turns green
Clutch working-
You don't want to just drop the clutch at 2500 or whatever rpm till you have slicks! You'll just blow street tires off! I'd personally start at around 3000rpm and slip the clutch like you're taking off from a stop light fast, but don't wanna spin. Gradually release clutch, but obviously not too much. Same with 1-2 shift but a little faster ckutch release. Not a dump!! 2-3 and 3-4 shift you can power shift and dump clutch between gears. The main thing is getting through 1st and 2nd gears with little wheelspin, yet also never bogging engine. You want to leave the line as high as an rpm as your tires allow. Clutch and gas pedal being feathered for initial launch till full grip of tires, then full throttle. Make small decreases in tire pressure in rear and find the sweet spot for that particular tire compound.
If you get wheelhop, let out of gas and reapply gas. Next round let more air out of rear tires. Don't be afraid to use 15lbs.
Have fun, be safe, and practice makes perfect and everything you learn launching and shifting at the track will improve your street skills drastically
Enjoy and take lotsa vids
#Venomous1Racing

I'd launch mine at about 2500RPM on the street. Here's a video:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVWFD2YdZNw[/ame]

i didn't hear any tire chirp when it changed gears………………… was that 1/4 throttle………….:burnout:

i didn't hear any tire chirp when it changed gears………………… was that 1/4 throttle………….:burnout:

Nah, welcome to the world of mile high plus DA. I wasn't really banging the gears either. It didn't se prudent while holding the iPhone with my steering wheel hand. Lol. Besides, I thought the point was NOT to spin the tires?

Venomous1, thanks for the quick racing tutorial, it's exactly what I was looking for. I made it to the track over the weekend but didn't race. After watching a few runs I was dying to enter but I have 0 track experience. Any tips for racing a stock automatic QC?

Venomous1, thanks for the quick racing tutorial, it's exactly what I was looking for. I made it to the track over the weekend but didn't race. After watching a few runs I was dying to enter but I have 0 track experience. Any tips for racing a stock automatic QC?

Which track do you go to ??

Careful when trying to 60' on some good tires. That's how rear ends and drive trains get broken. Make sure you have a drive shaft loop and some sort of traction bars before going to the track again. It only takes on time to have some wheel hop to twist the drive shaft.

You can use what these guys said to have a starting point. But dont think what they do will work exactly for you. It takes practice to learn what the truck likes. It also matters how well the track is prepped.

I've been to both but Atco is closer than E town . I can't do Fridays but if you go on a Wednesday then post it up and we'll try to make it a GTG. Facebook also has some Jersey boys on the SRT forum.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back