Leaky Tranny

shade

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I saw some spots in my driveway so I hought it was oil. Took me some time and miles to find it. Lifted the truck and right at the rear main there is a brown (mines the rusted color) plate that seems to cover where the transmission and engine coincide. Tranny fluid is running off if it. I didnt feel like taking off that plate and seeing what part was under it.
Kind of blows anyone know whats under there?

shade said:
I saw some spots in my driveway so I hought it was oil. Took me some time and miles to find it. Lifted the truck and right at the rear main there is a brown (mines the rusted color) plate that seems to cover where the transmission and engine coincide. Tranny fluid is running off if it. I didnt feel like taking off that plate and seeing what part was under it.
Kind of blows anyone know whats under there?

ya clutch, pressure plate , so on.
you probably got a rear main leaking, but could be the output shaft seal on the tranny

Borden3srt said:
for a qc, it has the flywheel and torque converter inside.

you know................. you can just say "hey dumbass! he has an automatic!"

"stupid hillbilly!"

LOLOLOLOLOLOL

Is the fluid color brown or red?
Did you service the fluid lately (i.e. add a little too much?)

Last edited:
Interesting. Its red fluid on the driveway it looked brown so I thought it was oil at first.
Got under the truck and couldnt find a damn thing wrong. Drove it around and then got back under it. Still no oil leaking.
I just happened to look behind me and there it was drip drip right from the protector cover under the rear main.
Dealer has it today so I should know something by tomorrow.

MORE THAN LIKELY ITS YOUR FRONT PUMP SEAL. THATS REALLY THE ONLY THING IN THAT AREA THAT WOULD CAUSE A TRANS LEAK. I HAVE HAD A COUPLE IN THE SHOP WITH EM LEAKING.

shade said:
Interesting. Its red fluid on the driveway it looked brown so I thought it was oil at first.

So it was red or brown in color?

I have had a rear main seal leak too since day one...but after Patrick tried to get it fixed and failed I just left mine. I wipe it once a month or so and it does not drop any in the garage...

Red fluid would indicate transmission fluid...not many places that can come from...check both ports (drain and fill)...

I have a leak in that area but the fluid is VERY clear, it has covered everything under the tranny in fluid, but the spot it leaves on the ground is tiny. I asked patric about it and he said to wedge the clutch pedal down and see if it leaked more. Aftwe lifting the truck up and looking at it I can see where the slave is leaking....

I have not checked to see if it is that leaking...just assumed that due to the location it was a rear main seal....interesting! Thanks.

TheMoparConnection said:
MORE THAN LIKELY ITS YOUR FRONT PUMP SEAL. THATS REALLY THE ONLY THING IN THAT AREA THAT WOULD CAUSE A TRANS LEAK. I HAVE HAD A COUPLE IN THE SHOP WITH EM LEAKING.

Got a call and the dealer put in dye and could not find a leak. They seem to think that the fluid level may have been off and aerated and vented. Dealer said there is a vent that would allow that to happen. Is that right?

shade said:
Got a call and the dealer put in dye and could not find a leak. They seem to think that the fluid level may have been off and aerated and vented. Dealer said there is a vent that would allow that to happen. Is that right?

Yes, if you overserviced it. But you never gave me an answer to previous question.

Did you service the fluid lately (i.e. add a little too much?)

Bone said:
Yes, if you overserviced it. But you never gave me an answer to previous question.

No its the factory fill (appx 3200 miles on it now). I have not added anything to the tranny

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back