Long trip ahead.

05 Nemesis Prime

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am curious if anyone here has ever driven through or in Idaho, Montana, South Dakota and into Nebraska in the month of December? I'm due to transfer December 1st and have heard stories of how wicked it could be with the snow. I'm traveling with my truck and a car, wife, kids and dogs. Any info on a safe route or driving conditions or even how close gas stations are form each other would nice if anyone could share. I do not want ot put my family in any kind of danger. A safe route os the best route no matter what the distance. This trip will be over 1900 miles. Coming from northern Washington. Thank You in advance for your help.

from where to where i might be able to help we run the snow and ice in the northwest every winter with big trucks.

Coming from Oak Harbor, Washington heading to Omaha, Nebraska. I'll be traveling on I-90 most of the way. Just a little worried about the snow and the whole rear wheel drive.

I have driven on I-90 from Butte to Billings but never in the winter. There are some long hills. Usually in the winter I never go below half a tank of gas for safety reasons. I can help you out on the Wyoming roads and I think it would save you time instead of going through South Dakota. But a planned route would help out:)

So if you stay on I -90 through Wyoming that section is not too bad. Just boring as hell. Around Sheridan and Buffalo I think you are on the edge of the mountain range but not in the heart of it. I would probably fuel up in Sheridan or Gillette. Buffalo is a smaller town, LOL, and probably more in price.

Is it safer going south on 25 to Cheyenne instead of going tword Rapid City? Then head east on 80 to Omaha? I've also heard that while going through the "pass" chains are required? How hard is it to come by a set of 22's and are all four tires required to be chained? Thanks for the help so far.

05 Nemesis Prime said:
Is it safer going south on 25 to Cheyenne instead of going tword Rapid City? Then head east on 80 to Omaha? I've also heard that while going through the "pass" chains are required? How hard is it to come by a set of 22's and are all four tires required to be chained? Thanks for the help so far.

I don't know how I - 90 is in South Dakota. I-25 can get pretty windy sometimes (Gusts 50-70mph). It will blow the truck right off the road. It has happened to me in a mustang before. Not a good trip. Chain law is only in effect when it's snowing and blowin like Mikey on a Friday night:D If there is no storm, no need for chains. The chain law here is chains or 4WD and no need for chains. Usually if chain law is effect in Wyoming it is bad and I would rather stay home, it would be safer to find a room for the night, especially in the truck. Good luck on finding chains for a 22". There was someone last winter that got some cables that fit the truck. Can't remember who that was though. That is probably your best bet for that. And do all four tires, so you have some traction and be able to steer.

The roads in Wyoming can be bad after a good storm. The state does not use any salt, just dirt. I have driven the truck over a "pass" before and it was no fun:( ass cheeks were perma puckered for a while. I didn't have any close calls. But I was super carefull.

How much time have you spent driving in snow? One thing to watch out for on an unfamilar highway is it can be dry and then you turn the corner have have snow drifts and ice on the road.

Hopefully your trip will be uneventfull and with good weather. I live in a milder part of the state and didn't have any real snow stick to the ground untill after christmas. I live about 4 hours out your planned route.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back