long tubes vs short tube for our trucks

Mantatsafasttruck

Reaction score
Would it hurt my truck if I put shorties on I'm in Calif as of the moment til I go back to Texas don't think long tubes will pass trying to get info on the two like power loss and gains thank you in advance

Would it hurt my truck if I put shorties on I'm in Calif as of the moment til I go back to Texas don't think long tubes will pass trying to get info on the two like power loss and gains thank you in advance

Are you talking about passing inspection? I have bassanis and never had a problem and Carl(zcx) has belangers on his truck here in Texas. My county just does a visual inspection but up where Carl lives they do something different. I don't think you'll have any trouble with inspections here

I have long tubes and catless ,,have no problem passing inspection ,,,they just do the obd2 plug in test ,,if all monitors are green im good to go ,,

the diff between long tube and shorties is about 20 to 25 hp ,,shorties give you almost nothing in hp ,,long tubes will :smokin:

the diff between long tube and shorties is about 20 to 25 hp ,,shorties give you almost nothing in hp ,,long tubes will :smokin:

:bs: like I posted above, same dyno same day, there was only about 3-5hp difference, and carl and I were both about 20-25 more than the trucks without headers.

In California they do the OBD II test along with a sniffer, and a visual. Some places will actually look up on the computer what your vehicle is suppose to have and make sure it's all there. i.e. all 4 of you cats. Only shorty headers are allowed in California and they have to be approved by C.A.R.B. ( California Air Research Board ). Any approved after market device that attaches to the motor will come with a C.A.R.B. approval sticker. I heard of one guy putting on shorties to get the sticker and then putting on long tubes later on.

:bs:i call double bs lol,,my black truck was dynoed before i put shorties on it then i dynoed after ,with no other mods done,, and did not gain nothing but 5 or 6 hp on it ,,after i sold my shorties to Jack and installed mopar long tubes i gained 20 more ,

:bs: like I posted above, same dyno same day, there was only about 3-5hp difference, and carl and I were both about 20-25 more than the trucks without headers.

I would think it would depend on what headers you have. Not saying the 20-25 is accurate, but not all long tubes are going to give you the same results.

I know the my gibsons made a small gain in hp. And the Mopars made a very noticeable gain over the gibsons.

In California they do the OBD II test along with a sniffer, and a visual. Some places will actually look up on the computer what your vehicle is suppose to have and make sure it's all there. i.e. all 4 of you cats. Only shorty headers are allowed in California and they have to be approved by C.A.R.B. ( California Air Research Board ). Any approved after market device that attaches to the motor will come with a C.A.R.B. approval sticker. I heard of one guy putting on shorties to get the sticker and then putting on long tubes later on.

man got to do what a man got to do :chain:

:bs:i call double bs lol,,my black truck was dynoed before i put shorties on it then i dynoed after ,with no other mods done,, and did not gain nothing but 5 or 6 hp on it ,,after i sold my shorties to Jack and installed mopar long tubes i gained 20 more ,

Did you use the same dyno and do the test on the same day? Can't really compare the two dynoed unless you did.

So long tubes are a no go in cali lol

California has this thing about relocating the cats away from the engine. With Long tubes you are pushing them farther back. Personally I feel if it does not pass the sniffer then it should matter to them.

I hope you guys are looking at the power under the curve instead of fancy peak numbers...

Dang, that is an expensive way to go, but good for him! I love my Mopar lt's!!!!!!!!:marchmellow:

glad im in tx..all my vehicles are fully catless

I have a dyno video of before and after results at DC Performance with the MOFO long tube headers. The results was a 35RWHP gain with Chris Jenson doing the Dyno on the same day. There is a proven and documented gain for long tubes.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back