Looking for info...

BDR SRT-10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hiya folks! 1st off, I must say that this is a grrrreat site for the srt-10 trucks and I had to join to be able to expand my knowledge about 'em... :) Hopefully I'll be picking mine up next week sometime and truly be able to join in the madness here :rock: !!!!!

Now, a few ?'s for everyone about an '04 and I've been digging around here for a few weeks looking for the answers with no luck so far... Hope I'm posting in the right section also :dontknow:

1. Proper engine oil and filter? Tranny fluid? Diff fluid? And replacement intervals?
2. Any known problem areas or 'weak' spots to look out for or address on the '04 truck in general? Clutch, tranny, and rear end good,solid, and reliable?
3. Any active members around central N.C.?
4. Is the fuel mileage really that bad (9 city/12 hwy)? :(

May have a few more pop in my head later, but that's about it for now...
I'm coming from a Honda S2000 and have had a few other Hondas as well, but my work truck is a '00 Cummins 5.9, slightly modded ;) , and I've always favored Dodge trucks... And, well, this truck is the holy grail of pickups... But I know I'm preaching to the choir saying that around here :D

Thanks everyone,
Brandon :)

R/C with easy driving will get 11.5 in town & about 18.5 on interstate, enjoy your new truck. Hopefully we will be having a GTG in Gatlinburg or somewhere nearby soon.

Welcome BDR..
If you do alittle searching you should find everything you need and more on this site..It is THE place for learning about your truck..and having alot of fun in the process..
PS: if you are concerned about mileage, you bought the wrong truck..lol I get about 11 city/ 18 highway
There are some great people on here from NC..
Figure on replacing the clutch and upgrading to the Viper master/slave..its a given that you will sooner or later..depends on how you drive it..
Oil is open for discussion, but fully synthetic Mobil one is the way to go..
Again, welcome to the madness..

Welcome to the group. Weakest points internally are the pistons...should you add some power adders. I got 14-15 mpg driving to a car show last weekend running 65-70 mph.

probs. i can come up with off the top of my head with the 04s'.

1.check lower pulley bolt (crankshaft bolt) weren't torqued right, mine was finger tight.. i retorqued with some blue loc-tite

2. there was a TSB on cam-shaft sprocket bolts not being torqued properly either

3. hydraulic clutch lines to close to exhaust..tie up away from the heat (i wrapped mine with some heat shielding material.

4. door seals tearing (although no problem with mine)

look under the general section,sticky: TSBS' and engine codes, look through those...

Last edited:
You Poor Poor thing:( I am sooo sorry for you:D you have Ron Outnumbered in Oakridge, an I live in maiden and we got Mmmmmtrq charles in.................shoot somehwere near raleigh along with DJ cherokee and Big Dave Silversrt10 on the upper side, kinda better known as the blacksheep:D :D

but dont know the filter number right off, you can get it at wally world, and most use 5w-30 mobil 1
for the trann redline D4 or mobil 1 atf, is best replacement fluid
75w-90 rear axle fluid,synthetic

clutch system stinks, most relace the master,slave cylinders from a viper and the clutch witha centerforce unit

the truck is fun and reliable

and mileage depends on driver,first week ? 9mpg:D after awhile? around 12-15mpg city up to 18-19mpg hwy

Welcome to the madness!

Hope you get a good deal, you will love the truck!!!:burnout::rock:

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on the truck ! :D

I was just in Asheboro last week (took my son to the zoo) ;)

Looks lke most of the questions have been answered...

Will have to schedule a GTG in NC this summer :rock:

Stinker said:
Big Dave SilvrSRT10 on the upper side, kinda better known as the blacksheep:D :D

but dont know the filter number right off, you can get it at wally world, and most use 5w-30 mobil 1
for the trann redline D4 or mobil 1 atf, is best replacement fluid
75w-90 rear axle fluid,synthetic

Now how the heck did I get that name???:dontknow: You and Charles are the one's who drive black trucks. Dominick will be moving down to NC in the not too distance future. I think Walmart only carries one Mopar filter. That's the one that can be used on our trucks. Welcome to the group. Post pics when you get it.

SilvrSRT10 said:
Now how the heck did I get that name???:dontknow: You and Charles are the one's who drive black trucks. Dominick will be moving down to NC in the not too distance future. I think Walmart only carries one Mopar filter. That's the one that can be used on our trucks. Welcome to the group. Post pics when you get it.

LOLOL refering to ALL of us:D the redneck boys ffrom the carolinas:rock:

Stinker said:
LOLOL refering to ALL of us:D the redneck boys from the carolinas:rock:

Oh, Ok. Just as long as I wasn't being singled out as the blacksheep. Knowing how you like sheep (and llamas, goats etc.), I didn't want everyone getting the wrong idea.:D

Welcome to the Knowledge ........ Not from me, from The other Folks. But I'm Learning .....
As Soon as you get the truck ... Take And POST PICS ....

LOL excellent guys, thanx... Although it seems ya'll get off topic real easy around here :D

Trying to figure out what 'GTG' means though... :confused: I'm sure it's a meet of some kind...

What is one looking at to replace the clutch system right, where to get it all at, and what's the most crucial to replace/watch out for first?

Yeah, we'll answer your question then anything goes. GTG means Get ToGether so you were right. Most everyone goes with the Viper master/slave units (metal not plastic like ours) and the Centerforce clutch and pressure plate. Some go with the lightweight Findenza (SP?) flywheel.
All that runs $1K to $1500 depending if you go lightweight flywheel or not.

Welcome :burnout:
I haven't had much trouble with my 04 except the radio went bad on me, but was covered under my warranty.....If you are looking for a truck...I am going to be selling mine....PM me if you might be interested....My truck has all the upgraded flywheel, clutch, paxton, headers, etc......Not to jump on your thread, but since you are looking for a truck...I might be able to make you a deal..:dontknow:
trucksmall.jpg

Hmmm, perhaps... I'm going thru a finance company with the one I'm looking at now at a dealership... Not sure if I could swing something in a private sale...

Another ?, if I may... What's the deal with this reflash of the PCM/ECU that I read so much about and it seems like a lot of you have had this done...

Is it available for '04s? Where's the best place to get this done? What's the pros or cons, if any? What kinda price range is one looking at?

Thanks!! :)

BDR SRT-10 said:
Hmmm, perhaps... I'm going thru a finance company with the one I'm looking at now at a dealership... Not sure if I could swing something in a private sale...

Another ?, if I may... What's the deal with this reflash of the PCM/ECU that I read so much about and it seems like a lot of you have had this done...

Is it available for '04s? Where's the best place to get this done? What's the pros or cons, if any? What kinda price range is one looking at?

Thanks!! :)

Boomer did my truck and I had him reflash mine.....not sure how much tho...My truck only has 3405 miles on it.....someone will know more than myself

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back