Loud high pitch sound

gwarwon2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone. I was out driving the truck the other day when someone asked me how much the supercharger cost me. I did not know what the hell they were talking about since I dont have a supercharger. But when I got out I hard this loud sound. I added a video its a choppy cause I looking around at the same time trying to see anything. :dontknow:

the video is at:

http://youtu.be/xOpYpLSeQ2I

Let me check it to see if it gets louder when revd

If the sound doesn't change with RPM i would guess the hydraulic fan is the culprit.

If the sound doesn't change with RPM i would guess the hydraulic fan is the culprit.

It could be. I been out there looking at all the lines I cant seem to find any of them broken or any hose clamps lose. I changed the belt just for kicks didn't help the old one needed to be changed anyway. Sucks cause now that I know about it my OCD wont let it go till I fix it lol.

Check the 2 vacuum hoses one under the TB, the other under the intake manifold towards the front. Possible one of these popped off.

Has there been any work done to the Powersteering pump/system? There might be some air entrapped. the Hydraulic fan is run by the powersteering pump. they are known to fail. the pump that is ...

The for all the help not real sure what the problem was but today after looking at the lines again and spraying some WD 40 on the fan the noise is gone. Hopefully it doesn't come back lol.

where on the fan did you spray oil ?

On the shaft. Unfortunately the high pitch whinr came back. I am going to be taking the intake manifold off next week to change the plug wires.. So when I do that I am going to check all the lines for cracks or anything. Really thinking its one of the pulleys though.

so today the whining came back. When the truck is cold and the temp outside is below 50 degrees no problems. After it gets hot out and the truck is up to temps the whining comes back. I have read on other threads here about the fan going bad. Now do I have to replace the whole fan assembly? or can I just replace the fan itself. Reason I am asking is when I tried to price out parts the only thing I can find is electric fan units or the fan by itself, not the assembly. :dontknow: I really don't want to convert to an electric fan if I don't have to.

I have that also. Mine is only on start up and not rpm related. It is a winding up sound that gains audibility for about 20-30 secs and stops completely and does not come back. Also, I believe only on cold start??

I have that also. Mine is only on start up and not rpm related. It is a winding up sound that gains audibility for about 20-30 secs and stops completely and does not come back. Also, I believe only on cold start??

This noise is the infamous oil pressure relief spring sound. Use a better oil filter.

I use the Mobil 1 filter with Mobil 1 oil and it don't whine since I forged the bottom end. :) Happy i have a chance to drive the beast with the turbos this year! Thought my year was over. Turbos are awesome! :D

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back