Maintenance

'04SRT-10BLK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, just about to change the engine oil, manual trans oil and rear axle oil, this is a first for me on this machine, I still have factory warranty and want to keep things legit. I am going to use Mobil 1 synthetic 10w-30 as recommended for the engine oil but noticed there are different types like 'extendened mileage', 'extended performance', etc. is there a particular one I should be using? Also while underneath my truck last night I noticed a tag on the trans saying to only use 'Castrol Syntorq LT Chrysler P/N 4874459' is this oil a special Chrysler item or can I pick up the same thing at a local auto supply store? One last question, can the limited slip additive that is needed for the rear axle be picked up also at a auto supply store or should I get it right from Chrysler? Sorry for the noob questions, all help is greatly appreciated, thanks.

[QUOTE='04SRT-10BLK]Hey guys, just about to change the engine oil, manual trans oil and rear axle oil, this is a first for me on this machine, I still have factory warranty and want to keep things legit. I am going to use Mobil 1 synthetic 10w-30 as recommended for the engine oil but noticed there are different types like 'extendened mileage', 'extended performance', etc. is there a particular one I should be using? Also while underneath my truck last night I noticed a tag on the trans saying to only use 'Castrol Syntorq LT Chrysler P/N 4874459' is this oil a special Chrysler item or can I pick up the same thing at a local auto supply store? One last question, can the limited slip additive that is needed for the rear axle be picked up also at a auto supply store or should I get it right from Chrysler? Sorry for the noob questions, all help is greatly appreciated, thanks.[/QUOTE]

I would spend the $25 nd become a supporting member so you can get into the do it yourself section, that will give you tons of info.

stay with good ol mobil 1, as for the tranny and axle there is many a debate on those, mobil 1 atf tranny, redline, royal purple, but dont go back with the dodge goo:D

I hate the factory tranny fluid. I cant shift worth a damn when it gets cold outside until the truck reaches operating temperature. I switched to Royal purple for all the fluids and this made a huge improvement in the tranny. Much smother and quicker shifts. Their rearend lube has the limited slip addative already mixed in. Changing the tranny fluid will however void your warranty if you have an anal dealer. Mine would never care thought. They still warranty the truck, even with all my mods!! Tremec actually calls for Mobil 1 ATF fluid in the Tremec T56, but Chrysler insists on there sludge,

Stinker said:
I would spend the $25 nd become a supporting member so you can get into the do it yourself section, that will give you tons of info.

stay with good ol mobil 1, as for the tranny and axle there is many a debate on those, mobil 1 atf tranny, redline, royal purple, but dont go back with the dodge goo:D
If you do not go with the Dodge goo, Your warranty will be denied.

TNVIPER said:
Do the 04s take a different weight oil?...my 06 calls for 0w40 syn...:dontknow:

yeah some call for 5w-30, in all honesty tho, the wieght goes with temp, so in your area anything from 5w-10w, 30 or 40 will work, some guys are running 15w -40

Stinker said:
yeah some call for 5w-30, in all honesty tho, the wieght goes with temp, so in your area anything from 5w-10w, 30 or 40 will work, some guys are running 15w -40
All this "oil talk" maybe I should change it again? Listen to the Stinkmeister! The force is strong with him!:p

[QUOTE='04SRT-10BLK]Hey guys, just about to change the engine oil, manual trans oil and rear axle oil, this is a first for me on this machine, I still have factory warranty and want to keep things legit. I am going to use Mobil 1 synthetic 10w-30 as recommended for the engine oil but noticed there are different types like 'extendened mileage', 'extended performance', etc. is there a particular one I should be using?[/quote]Get the stuff that says "_______" (nothing).
For the best deal, check WalMart or Sam's Club for the large jugs of Mobil1.

The oil filter can be had at the dealership for about $5. They have one with a Viper logo on it too, but it's a few more bucks.
TIP: Check WalMart's oil filter section. They probably have the Mopar oil filter there. My local store does.

NAPA Gold filters are also nice, but a few dollars more than the basic Mopar oil filter. Wix (a company with a great rep in oil filters) makes the 'gold' line for NAPA.

There are several re-usable oil filter makers out there. I haven't tried any, but some folks here have. I'm sure they'll post their feelings on them.

TIP: Pre-fill your oil filter with oil prior to installing it. (Thanks to Chuck for that one).

[QUOTE='04SRT-10BLK]Also while underneath my truck last night I noticed a tag on the trans saying to only use 'Castrol Syntorq LT Chrysler P/N 4874459' is this oil a special Chrysler item or can I pick up the same thing at a local auto supply store?[/QUOTE]The Castrol Syntorq will be available at the local auto parts store. The Chrysler fluid will need to come from the dealership.

OEM Recommended T-56 Transmission Fluids:
  • Mopar 75W-85W Manual Transmission Fluid (p/n#4874459)
  • Castrol Syntorq LT Manual Transmission Fluid
More info here:
http://www.vtcoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7196

[QUOTE='04SRT-10BLK]One last question, can the limited slip additive that is needed for the rear axle be picked up also at a auto supply store or should I get it right from Chrysler? Sorry for the noob questions, all help is greatly appreciated, thanks.[/QUOTE]
More info here:
-BASIC- http://www.vtcoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14243
-ADVANCED- http://www.vtcoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14242

Good luck with the maintenance. Don't be afraid to ask us for help.

Geez Kevan, do you have this stuff pre-printed? :p Is Rachael watching the V.S. special?, it's most distracting.

Thanks to everyone for the help, as Stinker mentioned I am going to have the get the cheque in the mail to become a supporting member so I can look at the DIY section but thanks so much Kevan for posting the links and the helpful tips, hopefully it won't be long before I can look at them. I have the service manual and thats great but being able to ask you guys questions on what the service manual says really helps out.

joemags54 said:
Geez Kevan, do you have this stuff pre-printed? :p
Memorized.
Sick, huh? :)

joemags54 said:
Is Rachel watching the V.S. special?, it's most distracting.
I think we have enough VS stuff here at the house.
We don't need it on the TV as well. :D

[QUOTE='04SRT-10BLK]Thanks to everyone for the help, as Stinker mentioned I am going to have the get the cheque in the mail to become a supporting member so I can look at the DIY section but thanks so much Kevan for posting the links and the helpful tips, hopefully it won't be long before I can look at them. I have the service manual and thats great but being able to ask you guys questions on what the service manual says really helps out.[/QUOTE]Sorry man. I missed seeing that you didn't have a star yet.
You can do PayPal to get it, if that's an option for ya.

The SM is great, but it's always nice to have a couple of grease monkeys behind keyboards who've made the mistakes helpin' ya out. :)

You should see us at Nats- Bone, Stinker, and I are like a gang....quickly diving underneath each truck as it shows up. It's kinda creepy.
:D :D :D

Last edited:
[QUOTE='04SRT-10BLK]Thanks to everyone for the help, as Stinker mentioned I am going to have the get the cheque in the mail to become a supporting member so I can look at the DIY section but thanks so much Kevan for posting the links and the helpful tips, hopefully it won't be long before I can look at them. I have the service manual and thats great but being able to ask you guys questions on what the service manual says really helps out.[/QUOTE]

maintenance, and the changing fluids are pretty straight forward bro:D
the supporting member part was so you could view the threads about oil and tranny fluid:D some of them got pretty heated and outright f'n stupid:p but in between the lines good info:D

make a choic on the fluid you like bo, and more than likly a want go wrong with any of them:rock:

[QUOTE='04SRT-10BLK]Hey guys, just about to change the engine oil, manual trans oil and rear axle oil, this is a first for me on this machine, I still have factory warranty and want to keep things legit. I am going to use Mobil 1 synthetic 10w-30 as recommended for the engine oil but noticed there are different types like 'extendened mileage', 'extended performance', etc. is there a particular one I should be using? Also while underneath my truck last night I noticed a tag on the trans saying to only use 'Castrol Syntorq LT Chrysler P/N 4874459' is this oil a special Chrysler item or can I pick up the same thing at a local auto supply store? One last question, can the limited slip additive that is needed for the rear axle be picked up also at a auto supply store or should I get it right from Chrysler? Sorry for the noob questions, all help is greatly appreciated, thanks.[/QUOTE]
I see by your first post, That you would like to keep it legit for warranty reasons.I would Stay with suggested factory fluids,Until you are comfortable moving into something else.

Stinker said:
some of them got pretty heated and outright f'n stupid:p
I don't remember any of them being heated.
I only remember the confusion between paper and CF blocking rings in the T-56....which quickly got straightened out.

Maybe it was in one of the "what type of oil should I use?" threads.

Kevan said:
I don't remember any of them being heated.
I only remember the confusion between paper and CF blocking rings in the T-56....which quickly got straightened out.

Maybe it was in one of the "what type of oil should I use?" threads.

shutup stupid:p :p :p :p LOLOLOLOL

hehe,gonne tell a true story... :eek:

changing first time oil on my vette i poured to much in it... no problem it tought , under the lift , unscrew the bolt with the bucket old oil and let flow a little amount... oeps, concentrating on a "little" i let drop the bolt... :D :D

now i was standing there with my finger on the hole and the bolt on the floor.... :mad: :D :D :D nobody coud hear me , no cellphone at reach... :eek:

i did "it" quick but had to add again some oil afterworths.. :nurse:

I am going to stick with the Chrysler goo for now, as JRSVIPR mentioned it would prob be best to do so while still under warranty, I also have no relationship with a Dodge dealer yet as I purchased my machine used and was a Ford guy before :confused: so them letting me away with mods or different oils is a big question mark. Again thanks to all for the help, you guys are the best. Oh...one last thing...paypal is not something I have set up so what may be the best way to become a suporting member for a Canadian like myself?

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back