manifold input

ZCx

Supporting Member
Reaction score
needin some input on our intake manifolds. makin my head hurt tryin to figure out what would be best to do.

bout ruled out the cut open route. i ran a bore scope down the one i have & looks pretty even. just rough. i could see if it was a bad castin to begin with, like a couple of photos that i have found.

extrude hone has great possibilites. only negitive i've found is folks complain bout the "possibity" of the runners not bein the same dia. & have the runner outlet too big so the guy that does the heads can match the intake to the head, not the head to the intake.

anybody ever have their intakes hand ported & not cut open???

& whats ya'll's opinon bout removin the crank case breather nipple. either have the hole welded or tap & pipe plug it & smoothin whats left of the boss on the inside to go with the entrance floor mo better

now if i could shoot a dozen golden eggs out my arse, would go with a Hogan's intakes:D

thanks in advance for any help/ideas:rock::rock::rock:

Last edited:
Hi Carl,

As you know, I quit doing the Gen III intakes for people as it was too time consuming.

A few tips:

The Gen III Intakes can be helped. And they need it.

-These manifolds have some core-shift so every one of them is a bit different.
-Gasket-matching is not worth the effort.
-You need some LONG bits to get way up into the intake, and... Check the work often! Joking aside, if you go in around 6" and stop you will gain around 10 hp peak.
-In order to do the job properly, you DO have to cut the tops off of the manifold or you will end up with quite a bit of taper in the port. And, it ends up being at the wrong end of the port. You just end up with a DROP in velocity which is something you don't want as the air enters the intake port of the head.
-IF (somehow) you manage to port ALL THE WAY UP to the mouth of the runner, you will have some sharp corners to deal with, something that air doesn't like to deal with. You now have a problem.

Once again, cut the tops off and have it done right. Gain is 20-30 hp peak with increases under the curve as well.

You want the finish to be on the rough side for the intake side of an engine.
Extrude honing goes where it is pushed and even though it works, it CAN NOT "PORT" A MANIFOLD.

My experience/opinion

A possible solution for you is in the PM sent.

:rock::rock::rock:

Mack seems a bit cocky, but confident:dontknow::rock:

that pretty much settles that, lol.

Thanks Ronnie:rock::rock::rock:

needin some input on our intake manifolds. makin my head hurt tryin to figure out what would be best to do.

bout ruled out the cut open route. i ran a bore scope down the one i have & looks pretty even. just rough. i could see if it was a bad castin to begin with, like a couple of photos that i have found.

extrude hone has great possibilites. only negitive i've found is folks complain bout the "possibity" of the runners not bein the same dia. & have the runner outlet too big so the guy that does the heads can match the intake to the head, not the head to the intake.

anybody ever have their intakes hand ported & not cut open???

& whats ya'll's opinon bout removin the crank case breather nipple. either have the hole welded or tap & pipe plug it & smoothin whats left of the boss on the inside to go with the entrance floor mo better

now if i could shoot a dozen golden eggs out my arse, would go with a Hogan's intakes:D

thanks in advance for any help/ideas:rock::rock::rock:
all the ones we have done boss, and quit a few eh cutting them apart is a waste, there is gains to be made but not a ton, we basically port matched rons up did the runners, a little up front and go the same gains as we did cutting one open, or the ones we had extrude honed, we charge about $400 to do ours, takes some time , but you'll gain depending on the engine mods 10-12 hp, heads cam sorts 20 ish maybe on a good day, rons made what? eh 600 to the ground, so smooth up the runners, knife up the front a bit ,you"ll get about what most others do, rock on Carl! :rock:

SO like I cant stick a wire brush on my drill and just sit there for hours....?

jk

Back