Manual trans will not stay in reverse

firehawk365

Reaction score
Can someone advise what it would cost to have the transimision repaired and what is causing the problem? I have read that it has happened to others but it didn't say what the problem was or the cost of the repair. I took it to a dealer and they had it for a couple of days, after diagnosting the tentative problem; they said they didn't have the equipment to repair the trans. I called other dealers and they were not sure if the could repair it either. I found a dealer that said they could do it but there mght be a charge if they find that the clutch caused the problem and my warranty would not cover. I'm thinking it might be better to take it to a transmion shop instead...Any suggestions? :dontknow:

My last truck started out being more and more difficult to get into reverse, then it started popping out. Friends on the forum advised i loosen all the bolts on the shifter, shift through all the gears, and retighten. That did not help. It progressively got worse to the point i was holding it in gear and it would still pop out. I had another member give me a low mileage stock shifter to replace mine with, and there was no change.

Whats worse is i had a truck looked at that i was going to purchase this past weekend. Even the owner could not get it into reverse after several attempts. So that was a deal breaker for me.

Some said it was the slave cylinder not fully disengaging the clutch. This put extra strain on the synchronizers over time wearing them out. Maybe the extra force on the shifter bent or misaligned the forks. Hell i dont know. Either way you look at it, i have seen too many that had this issue. It makes me weary of getting a RC for my next one. Then again, the auto's havent been holding up very well either.

Some said it was the slave cylinder not fully disengaging the clutch. This put extra strain on the synchronizers over time wearing them out. Maybe the extra force on the shifter bent or misaligned the forks. Hell i dont know. Either way you look at it, i have seen too many that had this issue. It makes me weary of getting a RC for my next one. Then again, the auto's havent been holding up very well either.

What he said^^^^^^^^^^
A poorly disengaging clutch will tear a tranny the F up! Normal driving isn't quite as bad, but a few speed shifts and it's over. Now reverse on the other hand is more than likely the same cause but by shifting into 5th under extreme conditions and clutch not fully disengaged, it will bend the shift fork and pads will deteriorate fast. The bent shift fork will allow reverse to get in far enough it engages but sometimes pops out. After so many "pop-outs" the ears that keep the gear engaged are worn out, therefore no longer holding reverse or engaging it far enough.:eek:

Now that you mention it, I too, am having some trouble finding the reverse slot! I try and seems to find 6th. But some persuasion I still am able to find it! I was thinking it is the shifter. I have the B&M. Gonna have to do a teardown of the trans this winter and upgrade a few things! I was hoping to do a cam job but maybe not. DAMN!!!

:dontknow:
Now that you mention it, I too, am having some trouble finding the reverse slot! I try and seems to find 6th. But some persuasion I still am able to find it! I was thinking it is the shifter. I have the B&M. Gonna have to do a teardown of the trans this winter and upgrade a few things! I was hoping to do a cam job but maybe not. DAMN!!!

I hope you meant 5th or that's your problem:p
A good measure that helps alot with all T56 trannies is to shift to 4th before reverse and it seems to help free up the reverse gear enough to glide right in.
Stupid thing I noticed and cannot for the life of me figure out is if I am tilted to the left a bit on a crowned road or parking lot,:confused: it goes into gears like butta. When on even, flat surface, it has that notchiness.:dontknow::confused:

my first gear has almost always had a crunch to it...doesn't pop out, but has been that way for a long time...i'm sure from powershifting and banging gears a lot...

but i've found, if you go to second, then first...it's smooth as butter...no clunk, no grind...you know how when you put a bike in gear and it kinda "clunks"...that's how my first gear is...but 2-1 it never does it...

Yea , I meant 5th!! Lol. I just changed my clutch to the centerforce and JMB viper master/slave kit and couldn't be more happy with it! It has good separation so my problem isn't clutch related! I used to really pull hard on the shifter to get into 6th and sometimes 5th with the stock clutch! Maybe something in the tranny is slightly bent. I don't backup much anyway and I have no problems with 5th or 6th gear any longer!

Over 115K miles on my original clutch system. I replace the clutch fluid every other oil change. no issues with my gearbox...knock on wood. ;)

What was the end fix for your truck?? or did you ever fix it?

:dontknow:Mine pops out from time to time even with a new tranny, new master, new slave and new shifter. It's a pain in the damn ass.

Popping out of reverse is caused by broken plastic shift fork pads. I had this problem.

The transmission needs to be removed and disassembled to repair this. Most likely you will also now need a reverse gear.

Replace the plastic pads with bronzes ones on ALL the shift forks. DO NOT USE THE PLASTIC PADS DURING A REBUILD

Thanks for the info. The dealer should be able to take care of this or would it be better to take to a transmission place?

The parts are made aftermarket. Factory replacement is plastic:(
Multiple HP tranny shops have the needed beefed up items.

Popping out of reverse is caused by broken plastic shift fork pads. I had this problem.

The transmission needs to be removed and disassembled to repair this. Most likely you will also now need a reverse gear.

Replace the plastic pads with bronzes ones on ALL the shift forks. DO NOT USE THE PLASTIC PADS DURING A REBUILD

:DNote taken.. And them Mopar engineers should be ashamed of themselves.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back