More exhaust questions

lightningeater

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, so I went the cheap route and had the stock muffler replaced with a magnaflow muffler. Nothing else. I love the deeper sound and could definitely feel a little bit bigger "kick in the pants" as I'm sure you all know what I mean. However, my question is if I delete the resonator, will the exhaust be louder (I assume this to be correct) and if so how much? Also, what about hollowing out the back cat's but leaving them in place? Any sensor problem? Would there be any significant gain to hollowing the cat's?

As always, you guys are the best. Thanks in advance. :rock:

i removed the rear cats & the resonator as well as replaced the muffler with a magnaflow....... definitely louder, no resonator gives you more backfire on deceleration..... no sims needed unless you remove the front two cats.....this setup will do fine until my complete b&b install from roe.......:D

Last edited:
Yep take off the resonator, it will be deeper and better sounding , but not crazy loud.

hollowing all four cats will get ya about 25hp or so ,and yes you may need sims , but they are only about $25 from x-metal

She'll throw-a-code!.... Engine Lite will come on.
Once you gut the cat you can't go back...there gone.
Might be better to go the catless-mids, by Boomer @ X-Metal. They've been working fine for me. In the state where you live they allow you to take one cat off, not both.
When I go for my inspection, I just put back the stock mid-pipes and I'm ready to go.

Quick

Not to Hi Jack but the county I live in is now doing the exhaust sniffer during inspection. Will removing the rear cats assure me a failure? To go this route, removing the rear cats and replacing the muffler only which model magnaflow are you all using? The wife has me on a no mods lock down for allowing me to by the truck. I think the slush fund is almost large enough to swing a muffler only.

From what I understand, there are several muffler body sizes (the shorter the louder) offered by Magnaflow. I had the 21" body installed by a local shop for $150.

Last edited:
With the weather the way its been here I havent had a chance to crawl under the truck and look at the exhuast since I got it. Im assuming this is a dual in dual out. I wonder if you can squeeze dual singles in either flat or verticle?

I replaced the original MagniFlow with another,and still wasn't happy !Yes I removed the Resinator,but then went to a True Dual setup that I like much better !!!No droan or excessively loud noise either !!!:dontknow:

Ok help me out guys. On my 04 I had a giant ass muffler, thats it. Do the 05/06's have an extra resonator and a muffler? Not sure what you guys are referring to as the resonator.

patrick

Patrick,
the '05s (and I assume '06s) had a rear set of mufflers that the 04's did not have. They were required to meet noise standards due the 4:56 rear ends on the 05s-06s.

Texas Yellow Fever said:
Patrick,
the '05s (and I assume '06s) had a rear set of mufflers that the 04's did not have. They were required to meet noise standards due the 4:56 rear ends on the 05s-06s.

I never knew that. So the increased rpms caused too much sound....big deal. Thanks Steve.

I cleaned out my garage last week and finally tossed the stock muffler.......its the size of a fricken hot water heater!!!!

patrick

mauiSRT/10 said:
I never knew that. So the increased rpms caused too much sound....big deal. Thanks Steve.

I cleaned out my garage last week and finally tossed the stock muffler.......its the size of a fricken hot water heater!!!!

patrick

Yea, the only thing I have left of the exhaust is the stock exhaust manifolds ;)

Probably dropped 50lbs by swapping it all out :D

So I guess this weekend after the ice melts off my truck I will start gutting some rear cats and resonator. Now to find a magnaflow part number not cat back that will work. I think I will try dual mufflers instead of a dual in dual out single.

So if i get long tube headers and mids with highflow cats i'll only have two cats instead of four? Or am i reading the posts wrong?:dontknow:

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back