motor oil

Good info. I guess I'll be going with Mobile 1 15w-40 or 15w-50.

so what do you recommend for a mostly stock with 22k....i also live in the north east?????? i did my first oil change with 0-40 and i notice the valves are a lil louder...will the 15-50 work for me????

SRT2SLOW said:
so what do you recommend for a mostly stock with 22k....i also live in the north east?????? i did my first oil change with 0-40 and i notice the valves are a lil louder...will the 15-50 work for me????

It should during the summer, maybe 15-40 if you drive it during the cold winter months.

SRT2SLOW said:
I do not think the 15-50 will flow well enough in cold temps. Try 10-40 first, And see what you think. Start up is what kills you in cold climates.

JRSVIPR said:
I do not think the 15-50 will flow well enough in cold temps. Try 10-40 first, And see what you think. Start up is what kills you in cold climates.

Agreed...:rock::rock::rock:

just changed my oil today after work ,,,15-50 mobil 1 baby,,,i even dropped the filter in the bucket of oil and it splashed right in my left eye BLOOP ,,,so truck is oiled up and so is my eyeball:rolleyes:

I am going to pull mine out of storage soon I was thinking of using either 5w40 diesel mobil again or maybe going to the castrol 5w50 I think 15w50 is too thick for me even though I only drive my truck in the summer.

Ironhead said:
just changed my oil today after work ,,,15-50 mobil 1 baby,,,i even dropped the filter in the bucket of oil and it splashed right in my left eye BLOOP ,,,so truck is oiled up and so is my eyeball:rolleyes:

So is this the first time you used the 15-50 ?

Yellow venom said:
I run Joe Gibbs racing oil,just thr break in oil now.
Hey Jack,how long should a guy us the break in oil for? till it gets dynoed?
I run Joe Gibbs also. My machine shop told me to run there break in oil for 200 miles. Then go with XP4 for 500 miles Then XP6 after that. I should be ready for the dyno the week of 4/5.

FSTJACK said:
So is this the first time you used the 15-50 ?

no sir last time i changed oil i started using it ,,before i was using the 40w mobil one:D when i installed the harland roller rockers ,,they were a tad bit noisier than the stock rocker arms so i went with the 50 and it quieted up a lot:D

Ironhead said:
no sir last time i changed oil i started using it ,,before i was using the 40w mobil one:D when i installed the harland roller rockers ,,they were a tad bit noisier than the stock rocker arms so i went with the 50 and it quieted up a lot:D

The way the heavier oil quiets down the valve train is amazing........;););)

I think the motor runs a little better at low RPMs with the heavier oil.....:D:D:D

FSTJACK said:
With a blower I would run a minimum of 15w40, I used 15w50 when the motors were stock in my trucks and when we went into them to build they were perfect no wear anywhere.

The heavier oil gives you more bearing cushion and shear strength.

I just don't like the thinner oils on any hotrod, and these are hotrod motors.

On my 04 6cyl ranger I run 10w30 as it is stock and a lopo motor.

The Zinc has all been removed from all passenger car oils. If you have an older motor with a flat tappet hydraulic or solid camshaft you need to run racing oil or us an addative such as comp cams zinc and phosporous.

The racing oils with zinc cut down on the scuffing of the lifter bases.
The reason for the zinc removal is it supposedly shortens the life of the cats. (cough cough)
So, living in Florida, you would suggest that I use 15w-50 or 15W-40 in my stock motor with a Paxton?

FSTJACK said:
I would use the 15-50 if it were mine.....;););)
I'll try the 15-50 at my next oil change. Does Mobil 1 carry this weight?

Put Royal Purple 0w40 in at the end of last summer before storage. It was a bit quieter for a while but as it's gotten a little dirty, it's about the same as the rest. The disadvantage for me of the Royal Purple is that it's now almost 11 dollars a quart...just can't see it being that much better, or that much better a formula than some of the long time oil makers that have been in racing for a hundred years. Never did like Pennzoil either.

Been thinking about heavier oil for the summer anyway. Not to be a FSTJACK mimic but I always thought 0w 40 was too light for our engines in the the summer anyway and I definitely value his opinion.

So, I think I'll just go back to good ol Valvoline Synthetic Racing Oil at 20w50 for the summer. I've run Valvoline Racing oil in all my old hotrods and I've had a bunch of em, and regular valvoline in regular cars forever, Valvoline synthetic in my more recent cars. The many I tore down and rebuilt never gave any indication that oil was the problem....clean as a whistle. So guess I'm gonna save some money.
If anyone has any reason's why not that are REAL and not marketing bs, I'd love to hear about your experience.

Best wishes on your choices all!!!!!:marchmellow: :marchmellow: :marchmellow: :D :D :D

Last edited:

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back