Need a Cummins!!

Psycho Mythic said:
Well i found one i like, an 03 QC Dually 3500 cummins, 111K miles, 6 speed manual, $13k...sound like a good deal to you guys?
Check to see if the lift pump conversion has been done, also check to see if the injector pump has been replaced. Very very costly repairs that normally need to be done around 100k on a cummins. ;)

tsmith3 said:
I have taken 3 Oxycodone tonight and my back still hurts like a mofo :(

Cody, if you could find an older 2004-2005 5.9 Cummins with low miles I would take it over the new crap they came out with.

How did that Oil gauge and pod work out for ya?
yea those oxycodone dont work all that great,ask your doctor for some dilaudid 8mg,those are my favorite.

cody just buy an older lightning for around 10k ,they all have trailer hitches:elefant: :elefant: :elefant: :elefant:

Psycho Mythic said:
Well i found one i like, an 03 QC Dually 3500 cummins, 111K miles, 6 speed manual, $13k...sound like a good deal to you guys?

What COLOR?

Also what kind of shape is it in? What was it used for?

Some guys just trash em and beat the hell outtahem.

If possible have it checked out by a performance deisel shop. They see what stealership mechanics might miss.

Check n see if they kept all their records for oil changes n such. Some are pretty prissy and others just do give a fuk.

You should know pretty quickly after takin a look at it.

SHU

Yeah, ive been looking at ones that dont even have a gooseneck hitch yet, ive found a few that were beat to hell and back and a couple that a few elders only used to haul a camper with. That blue 03 is sold. But i found an 07 with 70K miles, 6 speed manual, edge programer (attitude), for $21K (QC dually), i dont think i could beat that deal...

i would stay with 07 and older cody, the new stuff with the re-gin units on them can get pricey when they need work. if your hauling with it stay with a stick like they said. i may have a line on a ford dually here in town that was a re-po will check and let you know.

sstdusty said:
i hope you where kidding. a powerjoke. How many ford motors has there been since 1990. cummins? two. thats for a reason. The 07 and below auto's are not that good for long hauls. The nv5600 6 speed is a good tranny. the newer model aisain/dodge 6 speed auto is a great tranny. the older 03 - 05 autos should not have a "jake" brake because of the lock up converter. i thought about selling mine 04 qc 4x4 but just can't do it. good luck finding one
Yea the 7.3l was before Ford had problems and legal issues with Navistar who builds a lot of international truck engines. The 7.3L is praised in the world of towing. I used to work at a rental house so I had a chance to see all types of 3500-5500 series trucks. Ford was by far the most reliable and most fuel effiecient. The dodge we had was down more than it was running the tranny was just like the 10's...a huge hunk of metal junk. We replaced it twice in 100k miles. The ford 7.3l rebuilt once at 147k miles and besides that only other thing Ford needed was injectors replaced at 100k. If u was to start up a business I would only consider one truck for fuel and reliability and that is the 7.3L.
All trucks towed the same equipment...5th wheel set-up and would haul skid steers, back-hoes, front end loaders, lulls, most of time average haul was anywhere from 6k-almost 30k lbs. I would choose to take the ford every single time. The dodge was also a huge pig on gas. Don't get me wrong I liked the dodge too, when it worked it would haul great but it was seldom running right, wether it was the tranny, injectors, turbo issue, sensor ect the dodge cost money just like a 10! You could abuse that 7.3l and piss in the tank that biotch would still run.
My friend owns a towing yard for cars, he had 3 sterlings and a 1 7.3l. He just got rid of all the sterlings to get fords.

Cody I know you want dodge because we all own them here. I'm just giving you unbiased opinions from actual usage and logging 100's of 1000's of miles on each type of truck Not just talking out my ass. In the end the 7.3L is the work horse. That's why Ford used that engine for all the mid 90's and early 2000's. Don't buy a 6.0L I had one, they are great engines too but not for everyday towing. Do yourself a favor and research online or go to towing sites and see what they recommend.

Thanks Eddie, and Kickinassrt, i know the 7.3 is a good engine, and i appriciate your honest opinion, but im gonna drive a dodge til the day i die. My bro has his own mechanic shop and works on them all, and he is 1000% die hard ford man, but he keeps me straight on the durabilty of things.

What do yall think of this? This is the original owner, he bought it new, has only let the dealership service it, used if for a year to haul his camper, sold the camper and has only driven it back and forth to work every day...

http://www.dieseltraderonline.com/s...category=&make=Dodge&model=&srt=make ASC&p=15

No problem Cody..it's all good I know how it is. I would never ever ever ever own a chevy, I just can't stand em. Lol

if it has a tuner, that you know of....STAY AWAY, as for injection pumps, its the high pressure pump, you can find thos for 300 or so, and the lift pump convertion, i would just put a airdog on it anyways. there is a HUGE diffence between the stock lift pumps and the airdog, it has more bottom and top end power. i'll keep my eyes out for yea. how far are you looking from home?

this is a site i found, it combineds ebay and craigslist into one page for you, works across the country

Site Mash

as far as the ford vs. dodge...

when i was project manager at a construction co. here before i started my own business, i drove both fords and dodges....and we got rid of the fords for the dodges....the cummins with a 6spd dually is the last truck you will ever buy...i promise you that... the fords were always in the shop....the dodges....never....and we had a 18k # skidsteer that was pulled by all of them....2500 cummins, 550 ford, then back to 3500 cummins....i would never buy another ford diesel....but....i guess i had the opposite experience that roger had....just fwiw...

kickinassrt-10 said:
No problem Cody..it's all good I know how it is. I would never ever ever ever own a chevy, I just can't stand em. Lol

Im with ya on that :rock:

Smokey said:
if it has a tuner, that you know of....STAY AWAY, as for injection pumps, its the high pressure pump, you can find thos for 300 or so, and the lift pump convertion, i would just put a airdog on it anyways. there is a HUGE diffence between the stock lift pumps and the airdog, it has more bottom and top end power. i'll keep my eyes out for yea. how far are you looking from home?

Thanks, ive been looking everywhere, i just want a cummins dually 6 speed manual QC without a ton of miles, dont care how far i have to go to get a good one ;)

viperhauler said:
as far as the ford vs. dodge...

when i was project manager at a construction co. here before i started my own business, i drove both fords and dodges....and we got rid of the fords for the dodges....the cummins with a 6spd dually is the last truck you will ever buy...i promise you that... the fords were always in the shop....the dodges....never....and we had a 18k # skidsteer that was pulled by all of them....2500 cummins, 550 ford, then back to 3500 cummins....i would never buy another ford diesel....but....i guess i had the opposite experience that roger had....just fwiw...

Ive seen several 6 speed cummins duallys lately with 430K + miles on them still kicking strong, and still over $10K!

flchub said:
yea those oxycodone dont work all that great,ask your doctor for some dilaudid 8mg,those are my favorite.

cody just buy an older lightning for around 10k ,they all have trailer hitches:elefant: :elefant: :elefant: :elefant:

I tried an OxyContin for my shoulder last weekend 60mg

had no pain at all :)

but I puked for over 20 hours everytime I stood up :(

then I slept for 12 hours straight

Psycho Mythic said:
Well i can say this, i used an 07 Ford F250 6.0 diesel to haul an empty 16' round top cargo trailor this weekend to Virginia and the damn thing bested 9.8 mpg the whole way there and about 13.8 unloaded coming back, driving easy with the cruise on. F the ford, im gettin a cummins, i know for a fact they get WAY better fuel economy...
I have a 2002 F350 7.3 with several mods and it's a beast.
Here is an interesting web site for cummins that talks about all of the different changes.:)
http://www.allpar.com/mopar/cummins-diesel.html

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back