need advice on 170 thermostat

vega

Reaction score
I want to put a 170 thermostat on my truck but this really helps any,I mean more hp or haveany other benefit:dontknow: s

Fahrenheit said:
it would be good to get a tune for it too.............
What he said. ^^^^
Without a tune to turn the fan on sooner, it really wont help.

It depends on what temp your truck normally runs. It's a fine line between running too hot, and cooling it down too much. These all aluminum engines will actually lose power if it is too cool. If you are running in the 185 - 200 range, you are good.

just swapped mine. the stock was 185

SANCHOBA said:
heat soak=loss in power.
:rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock:

Ok, I find that my truck ran, when warm, around 200, cruising on the highway. With my 170 thermo, I run considerably cooler on the highway, and then right at 200 in the city. The only draw back is that it can take the truck a little longer to warm up when it is cold. That is the way my truck acts. I think it is a good idea, especially cruising on the highway, staying COOOOOOOL:rock:

I have a 170 t-stat, and my tune from Torrie turns my fan on sooner...truck never gets above 180...before it ran at 200 all the time.

I've had mine on with a tune and factory. Doesn't do a damn thing. Fan turns on the exact same time with a tune or not.

kickinassrt-10 said:
I've had mine on with a tune and factory. Doesn't do a damn thing. Fan turns on the exact same time with a tune or not.
Then there must be something wrong with your tune,like Fast said mine also comes on sooner and never gets a bove 180 even in 95 degree weather,I have a sct with the tune.

it does nothing for performance wise, the only thing it does do is guys in the really really hot areas I suggest they run the 170 state and turn the ffan on earlier that way in the heat of the day especially in stop and go, your temps dont climb past 200, in hot areas with the 170 stat you should staay around the 190-200 area instead of it climbin higher than 200, thus keeping you in the heat range and not overboiling

JTS VENOM PERFORMANCE said:
it does nothing for performance wise, the only thing it does do is guys in the really really hot areas I suggest they run the 170 state and turn the ffan on earlier that way in the heat of the day especially in stop and go, your temps dont climb past 200, in hot areas with the 170 stat you should staay around the 190-200 area instead of it climbin higher than 200, thus keeping you in the heat range and not overboiling
That's what I thought you told me, just making sure you did'nt find anything new out between when I bought mine and now:rock: I do run a little over 200 in the city, how do I get the fan adjusted.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back