Need advice on a supermoto!!

quadster2005

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Im new to the supermoto and motorcycle world. I really want to get a supermoto as my first motorcycle. I have a Yamaha Raptor 660 with twist throttle so I know how to use the clutch etc. Im 6'1 and 220lbs. What would be a good bike for me? I was looking at the Husqvarna sm610, the Ktm 690smc, and the suzuki dr-z400sm. If there is something else I should consider? I really like the aprilia's as well but Ive heard that they are really hard to maintain and that you have to rebuild the motor at 4000mi. Price is not a non factor but I really dont want to spend more than 9-10k. :rock: Was wondering if any of you guys have a supermoto?? Thanks guys

Im a member on supermotojunkie.com and had a hello thread and not one person replied. Definitely not the same as our family here!! Thats why I thought I would ask here.

If I was going to get one, it would be an Aprilia. Because I had a bigger Aprilia that I really liked.

Bill.

Consider the WR250 Yamaha Supermoto. The power will be close to the DRZ 400. The other bikes are in another category. Either the DRZ400 or the WR250 will have power more like your 660 Raptor. Don't go overboard!!! Some of those bikes are tough. You need a starter supermoto. Don't get me wrong, you may be a great rider but, supermoto bikes are tough.
I have a YZ250F modded and it is waaaaayyyyyy faster than a 660 Raptor.

kennygene said:
Consider the WR250 Yamaha Supermoto. The power will be close to the DRZ 400. The other bikes are in another category. Either the DRZ400 or the WR250 will have power more like your 660 Raptor. Don't go overboard!!! Some of those bikes are tough. You need a starter supermoto. Don't get me wrong, you may be a great rider but, supermoto bikes are tough.
I have a YZ250F modded and it is waaaaayyyyyy faster than a 660 Raptor.
The 250 is about the same price as the 400.... and Ive heard many people say that 250s will be too slow for my fat ass.

Dude, you want to go bigger than a 250 or a crappy Suzuki 400. The 400 is a turd. How much do you weigh? I would look at KTM, Aprilia, or even just buy a 450 motocross bike and mod it. The new Yamaha YZ450F's are supposed to be revolutionary. They will be in showrooms soon. Do you plan to race? If so, decide which class you want to run and that will narrow it down.

250 is tiny bro, So is a 400 to be honest, Don't get me wrong. My friend has a honda xr-250 street legal yada yada, Anywho after tagged he dumped a fully built 500cr motor in her :) I was looking at the ktm also, or the monster

I have a Honda CRF 450R supermoto that I bought on a whim, that I never should have bought, that now sits in the garage and is never ridden. The bike was built by Pompton Honda in New Jersey as a race bike and is titled for the street....very unusual since this is a MX bike, but if I recall correctly they got it titled to meet some racing rules for supermoto, anyway according to them some rule changes were made for the upcoming season and instead of tearing down the bike and re-fitting it they decided to put this one up for sale and build another. I stumbled in to buy my kid a helmet and walked out with this thing. it is insane and I am not qualified to ride it. It scared the crap out of me after my third or fourth ride and I've never really ridden it again. One of the guys from the shop told me with the right rider it would hang with any 1 liter bike up to 100 mph and I have no reason to doubt it. it has all kinds of crazy mods that I can't even remember since I don't ever pay attention to it...I'll include some pics so you can see for yourself, I'm not sure if it's an 04 or 05 and if it wasn't so late I'd go pull the title and check but I believe its an 05. If you notice the rear fender has racing decals, the entire bike was covered with them so I asked them to swap out some stock body work and they dug up what they could at no extra charge. Take a look at the pics and PM me if your interested. I'll make it simple and affordable and you'll get a bike that's unique and off the hook...Once we PM I'll send you my mobile number and we can discuss

Attachments

• DSC00463.jpg
    DSC00463.jpg
    129.3 KB · Views: 166
  • DSC00464.jpg
    DSC00464.jpg
    139.5 KB · Views: 6,649
  • DSC00465.jpg
    DSC00465.jpg
    135.3 KB · Views: 178
  • DSC00466.jpg
    DSC00466.jpg
    131.9 KB · Views: 1,791
  • DSC00467.jpg
    DSC00467.jpg
    125.6 KB · Views: 158
  • DSC00469.jpg
    DSC00469.jpg
    127.7 KB · Views: 175
  • DSC00468.jpg
    DSC00468.jpg
    117.9 KB · Views: 183
quadster2005 said:
The 250 is about the same price as the 400.... and Ive heard many people say that 250s will be too slow for my fat ass.

You really should ride those little bikes. They are very fast up to about 80mph. I'm not sure what you're looking to do with it or how much experience you have but going from a Raptor to a bike is a big change.
Notice the post above and the 450 Honda SM. It is built to run with liter bikes to 100mph. They will do this because their weight is low and their power is huge. Honestly, buy the Honda on here!!!!! That is a super bike already titled!!!!!!Make it a done deal!!!!!!!!!!!!:rock: :rock: :rock:

doneo said:
I have a Honda CRF 450R supermoto that I bought on a whim, that I never should have bought, that now sits in the garage and is never ridden. Once we PM I'll send you my mobile number and we can discuss

Doneo is one of our most respected members and purchasing something from him is a very safe route. Now if he will just offer his truck for sale...

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back