Need help in my hunt for a Viper

lbstone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ever since selling my truck to Demon 8, the only thing thats helped me get through each day without my 10 has been my persuit of a Gen III Viper. I've been working with a guy locally for the last few weeks on his Red 05 Convertible with 1,400 miles. His car has never been registered because he owns a body shop and runs around with a dealer plate, that and he owns some 15 cars total. We seem to be at an impass with price. He wants $55K and I offered $52K. This is where we've been stuck for the last few weeks. The advantage to purchasing from him is I can give him 8K or so in cash and have the selling price listed as the price I finance, this way I'm not getting so boned when I have to pay taxes. This will save me $480. The other Viper I'm looking at is an 06 Black Coupe with 8K miles at a dealership in Georgia, here's a link . After a bit of wheeling and dealing, I got the salesman down to $57.5K, but for an identical Black 06 Coup but with 13K miles listed here. BTW, shipping will be around $800 - $1000 from Georgia to Connecticut for a Viper. I'm gonna speak with the salesman today and make my final offer, either $57.5K for the 06 with 8K miles, I pay shipping, or $57.5K for the 06 with 13K miles, they pay the shipping. Also, both of these prices are out the door, I already told the salesman I'm not paying any other "conveyance" fee's or any BS like that!!

So here's where I'm having a hard time, which Viper should I go with. If the guy locally comes down to $52 or $53K, should I go with his very low mileage 05 or should I go with one of the 06 Coupes. For what it worth, I've always loved the Red Vipers but after spending hours a day combing the internet for Vipers, I'm now in love with Black also. I also always love the lines of the coupe but on my trip to Florida, my sister in law let me take her convertible Mustang for a night on the town and I fell in love with the idea of a convertible. This was my first time ever driving a convertible and I have to say it was great on a warm sumer night! Another thing to note, I will have a much harder time getting in and out of the Coupe as I am very limited on space. I will probably have to immidiately lower the seat in the Coupe where with the convertible I can drive her around for the rest of the summer and worry about lowering the seat in the winter. I'm leaning toward the 06 Black Coupe with $8K miles so long as we can get the numbers right but I'm lost, HELP!!!!

Just a little side note, I've been checking on what differentiates the 05 - 06 Vipers and here's some additional info. The 06's have 510 hp, 5 more then the 04 and 05's but the Coupe weighs 50 lbs more then the convertible. Not that it makes much difference when I weight 315 lbs!!

Last edited:
Go for the ragtop Derek. Its not Hollywood if the top don't drop. ;)

Ragtops always worth more. As far as the winter, wtf would you drive it during the winter? If weather was nice enough, drop the top.

The extra room to get in and out alone will save you a ton of headache. Plus you get free tanning ;)

The black cars are beautiful, I like the way there is always a picture of the Red Button.

My $0.02 worth -- if you know the person selling it and know history of the convert., I would go for that one. I get leary of buying a used vehicle (any used vehicle) if the full history is not known. Factor in the long distance your dealing wth and the risk, IMO, goes even higher. Also, before I bought my truck (new), my dealer advised me to be cautious when buying any used SRT. In their experience (and they see a ton of them everyday go through their doors), most of them are dogged and beat to death, been involved in accidents (even though it may show a good title), etc.. If you have your heart set on one of the balck vehicles in GA, you may want to consider hiring a 3rd party, independent inspector to check the vehicle for you before you make the trip to buy it.

me personally I love the Coupe... FAST RAM has a good point i Found out my truck had 3 motors in if before i even ownedf it

i was looking at a srt 10 about 6 months back with a paxton for 52k and it sold fast. need to find one for sale by owner who is getting a divorce, as shitty as it seams to say that it is the truth.

Hey big D,
Palmer is about a 15 minute drive for me if you need a proxy to go over there and check out a vehicle in person.

Derek, I had a vette convertible. I loved it when the weather was perfect, but how often is that? Most of the time it's usually too hot or too cold hehe. A couple feels "racier" if you ask me, plus they look a lot better IMO. But you bring up a good point, you're gonna need a big ass shoe horn to get into one hehehe.

But I don't think you would be disappointed with either one. I would try to stay local making a purchase that big. In fact, wait a couple of months and those northeast convertible prices will probably soften just a tad. They're just worth less in the winter.

BriteCrawler said:
Hey big D,
Palmer is about a 15 minute drive for me if you need a proxy to go over there and check out a vehicle in person.
That would be great! I just talked to the guy today and gave him my offer of $58.5K for the black 06 with 8K miles on it, I'll take it if he agrees on the price. They're gonna get back to me tonight. If you could go there and check it out, I'd really appreciate it!

OCBob said:
Derek, I had a vette convertible. I loved it when the weather was perfect, but how often is that? Most of the time it's usually too hot or too cold hehe. A couple feels "racier" if you ask me, plus they look a lot better IMO. But you bring up a good point, you're gonna need a big ass shoe horn to get into one hehehe.

But I don't think you would be disappointed with either one. I would try to stay local making a purchase that big. In fact, wait a couple of months and those northeast convertible prices will probably soften just a tad. They're just worth less in the winter.
I'm leaning toward the Coupe, I just love the look of them!! Don't get me wrong, the convertibles are sexy, but the coupe just look bad ass!! I was thinking of waiting till winter but nothing worse then having a $900 a month car payment for three or four months and not being able to drive it!! The prices in the south are a bit softer cause the economy got hit a little harder in that region. When I was in Florida a few weeks ago, every other house was for sale and my brother who is in banking was saying they took a big hit in his area (Boca Raton). Everyone in this area wants $62+ for a coupe with less then 10K miles.

Hey man i was traveling back to the office when i read your post here and just happened to be really close to Palmer dodge so i swung in to check these vipers out.

The 06 with 13k has had the tires rotated..........the sidewalls of the front tires are all beat to shit(meaning this car has done a donut or two in it's day or some massive powersliding), the bottom of the rear quarter panels are chipped as well. This car was sitting outside and although it had a film of dust on it i could not find any other scratches or scuffs.

The 06 with 8k was sitting in the showroom and the only problem i saw with this one was the drivers side door sill is severly scratched( i assume someone entering and exiting the vehicle).

I did not look at anything mechanical wise but hope this helps because i know pictures dont allways do justice! I only took a quick glance at both cars but would be willing to inspect them much closer if you wish. The dealership is where i purchased my SRT-10 and i have nothing bad to say about them, they deal with alot of Vipers and have a good reputation in the area. Hope this helps.
Ernie

IH8CHVYS said:
Hey man i was traveling back to the office when i read your post here and just happened to be really close to Palmer dodge so i swung in to check these vipers out.

The 06 with 13k has had the tires rotated..........the sidewalls of the front tires are all beat to shit(meaning this car has done a donut or two in it's day or some massive powersliding), the bottom of the rear quarter panels are chipped as well. This car was sitting outside and although it had a film of dust on it i could not find any other scratches or scuffs.

The 06 with 8k was sitting in the showroom and the only problem i saw with this one was the drivers side door sill is severly scratched( i assume someone entering and exiting the vehicle).

I did not look at anything mechanical wise but hope this helps because i know pictures dont allways do justice! I only took a quick glance at both cars but would be willing to inspect them much closer if you wish. The dealership is where i purchased my SRT-10 and i have nothing bad to say about them, they deal with alot of Vipers and have a good reputation in the area. Hope this helps.
Ernie

Quick FYI...tires dont get rotated on a viper. fronts are different sizes than the back and the tires are 1 direction rotation

BurntRubber said:
Quick FYI...tires dont get rotated on a viper. fronts are different sizes than the back and the tires are 1 direction rotation

Sorry man let me rephrase that then:
I personally have done donuts in my truck and after words the sidewalls on my tire were chewed up. When i was looking at the car i assumed thats what had been done then they took the tires of the back and put them on the front. My Bad

Last edited:
I just bought my first convertible a couple months ago and I gotta say, I LOVE IT! It is so fricken relaxing to put the top down and cruise along. I can't even explain in words how relaxing it is. As for the weather, I can't speak for a Viper but my Audi does a great job of keeping the cabin cool with the top down even when it has been over 100 degrees out and it has a back seat so there's more area to cool. If you have heated seats the cold will be no problem for sure. Anyway, I will buy a convertible any chance I get in the future if the car I want has the option. No doubt about it. I'm not sure, but the vert might have more head room than the coupe...wouldn't surprise me. One more thing. With the top down the sound of that beast should be orgasmic.

IH8CHVYS said:

Ernie
I owe you a big thanks!! The post for the Viper with 13K does mention the back tires are new, . I keep changing my mind and cant decide! One minute I want the convertible, the next I want the coupe!! Maybe I should buy both!!!!

lbstone said:
I owe you a big thanks!! The post for the Viper with 13K does mention the back tires are new, . I keep changing my mind and cant decide! One minute I want the convertible, the next I want the coupe!! Maybe I should buy both!!!!

The coupe for rainy days, ragtop for sunny days... Good idea... :idea:

Other than making sure you will actually fit in a Viper, this is all I have left to say!:D :rock: :D

Attachments

• Viper 3-1-07 2574658100%.JPG
    Viper 3-1-07 2574658100%.JPG
    89.6 KB · Views: 19
  • Viper 3-1-07 257465746.jpg
    Viper 3-1-07 257465746.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 24
  • Viper 3-1-07 257465745.jpg
    Viper 3-1-07 257465745.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 24
  • Viper 3-1-07 257465744.jpg
    Viper 3-1-07 257465744.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 26
  • Viper 3-1-07 2574659100%.JPG
    Viper 3-1-07 2574659100%.JPG
    494.1 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
IH8CHVYS said:
Sorry man let me rephrase that then:
I personally have done donuts in my truck and after words the sidewalls on my tire were chewed up. When i was looking at the car i assumed thats what had been done then they took the tires of the back and put them on the front. My Bad

You do donuts in your truck!!!!!:rock:

The tires were probably curbed pretty bad

The deciding is over, I just made a deal with the guy owning the 05 red convertible with 1,400 miles! In the end I kept changing my mind, the two cars have two totally different personalities. I think the coupe looks way tougher and more like a traditional viper should. But whats better then cruising in a Viper with the top down. I think going with the convertible will help me keep the speeds on the side of sanity a little longer, plus as I said before, lowering the seat wont bas as pressing of an issue. The deciding factor is the miles. 1,400 miles is nothing, the car isn't even broken in yet and is probably still on the original oil! The car still has the little rubber nipples on portions of the tires and still has the new car smell.

Tomorrow I bring the paperwork to the bank before I leave for Sweden. By the time I return Sunday night, all the paperwork will be done and I'll hopefully be driving her home!! Now I gotta build a garage!!!

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back