Need help replacing factory thermostat!!

VAViperPower

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, sorry to be so needy today!! I feel like someones wife but just not as good looking, LOL. I just received my 170 degree thermostat and wanted to get any install tips or info on where the thermostat is located and whats the easiest, least messy way to get the thermostat replaced. Im trying to avoid covering the engine with coolant when removing the thermostat and housing. If theres any tips or problems that I might run into please feel free to give me a heads up before I start on the job in the next few days. Again, thanks for any info or tips you can provide for the installation process

:rock:

I printed out the thread with all the tips.........Do a search for it. That third bolt is the bitch, you cant see it at all. Coolant is slipperier than KY jelly......thats when that hidden bolt really gets fun as you keep dropping your socket wrench!!! Get some distilled water and some coolant as you will loose some during the install. Took about an hour to complete.

patrick

Thanks, i will do some research for the link. Guess i better get my neighbor with the small hands to help me with the lower bolt. Sounds fun, did u notice a temp difference on your instrument cluster when driving the truck after the thermostat change??

VAViperPower said:
Thanks, i will do some research for the link. Guess i better get my neighbor with the small hands to help me with the lower bolt. Sounds fun, did u notice a temp difference on your instrument cluster when driving the truck after the thermostat change??

Dude......did I notice!!!!:rock: :burnout: Runs between 160 and 180 now. When stock it was what, 210!!!!! Its amazing how cool it runs now. Higher than 180 and the fan comes on and brings the beast back down. Could just be my warped brain, but I feel now I dont have the power loss with the CAI that I did before when running with the stock thermo.

I park my rig in the garage (one car garage) and its amazing how it doesnt heat the garage up like before. I would say overall its a excellent upgrade. Install was the only downside.....ie messy ass slippery coolant.

Enjoy the coolness!!!:D

patrick

When you go to install the thermostat cover start with the PITA one first. You can have your socket on the nut and be able to line it up by looking over it and DON'T take the socket off untill it is snug but not tight. Saves uneccessary usage of beers and foul language, by not having to get the socket back on and feeling around. Then you can do the rest of them and tighten to specs, or by feel

Guys,help me out,an engineer friend at work said not to use distilled water in an engine with aluminum parts. The reason is the distilled water is deionized,and when heated and electrically charged the water will pull ions out of the aluminum.He suggest using tap water and a substance like Redlines Water Wetter.Says it and the coolant counteracts any corrosion plus it breaks surface tension and that will help do away with air pockets that cause hot spots.Just my 2 cents.

V10 BULLET said:
Guys,help me out,an engineer friend at work said not to use distilled water in an engine with aluminum parts. The reason is the distilled water is deionized,and when heated and electrically charged the water will pull ions out of the aluminum.He suggest using tap water and a substance like Redlines Water Wetter.Says it and the coolant counteracts any corrosion plus it breaks surface tension and that will help do away with air pockets that cause hot spots.Just my 2 cents.
I'm sure everybody thats replaced their T-stats along with their Pcm's have used redline water wetter. Thats what the Viper tech did on mine.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back