Need help

FlaglerSRT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey yall, I need some help here with my factory sound system. I drove the truck to work this morning and everything worked as it should, a few hours later when I went to go to lunch I noticed that my sub wasn't working. I got home and pulled it to check the basics (loose connection, broken wires, under hood fuse, etc) and everything looked ok at the amp under the seat and at the sub. So I took a test light to the 4 wire pig tail going to the sub from the amp and all 4 wires had power (I'm not sure if they're supposed to, I'd imagine they'red have to be a ground). I'm not good with electrical or A/V so any help would be great. I inspected the sub and the cone looks and feels good, and I've heard no strange noises i.e. pops, buzzes, or hums everything else sounds normal just no sub. I'd appreciate any help with this because where I'm stationed there isn't any good shops around. Thanks guys!

Hey yall, I need some help here with my factory sound system. I drove the truck to work this morning and everything worked as it should, a few hours later when I went to go to lunch I noticed that my sub wasn't working. I got home and pulled it to check the basics (loose connection, broken wires, under hood fuse, etc) and everything looked ok at the amp under the seat and at the sub. So I took a test light to the 4 wire pig tail going to the sub from the amp and all 4 wires had power (I'm not sure if they're supposed to, I'd imagine they'red have to be a ground). I'm not good with electrical or A/V so any help would be great. I inspected the sub and the cone looks and feels good, and I've heard no strange noises i.e. pops, buzzes, or hums everything else sounds normal just no sub. I'd appreciate any help with this because where I'm stationed there isn't any good shops around. Thanks guys!

If you listen to hip hop it intentionally blows. It likes rock and roll! Lmfao
Check all 4 wires going to voice coils (dual)
Often a wire will come loose. Some times you can turn radio on and push down on speaker cone. See if it tries playing. Otherwise amp may have went out but more often the sub wires.

Last edited:
Thanks for the quick reply. lol she never plays hip-hop just classic rock and country. Im not sure what you're talking about when you say "voice coils", which 4 wires are you referring to? Because I have checked the 4 wires that connect to the back of the sub and they all good in fact they're all hot so I'm not sure if they're supposed to be or if some are supposed to be ground as well. I have pressed on the cone with the radio on and it got no results.

Thanks for the quick reply. lol she never plays hip-hop just classic rock and country. Im not sure what you're talking about when you say "voice coils", which 4 wires are you referring to? Because I have checked the 4 wires that connect to the back of the sub and they all good in fact they're all hot so I'm not sure if they're supposed to be or if some are supposed to be ground as well. I have pressed on the cone with the radio on and it got no results.

Actually check them on the back side of the sub itself not the connector.

So you're saying I should open the sub box and prob the 4 wires running to it? How could I test the amp to see if it's blown? And if it is blown would that make sense that all 4 sub wires would be hot and I'd have no ground?

If you have power your amp is working. If one wire comes loose on cone speaker stops playing as it's wired in series

Gnasty, it's pretty simple I figured it out last night. You remove the sub from the truck, I brought mine to the kitchen table cause you'll need some space. Using a torx bit remove the side panels, remove the sub grill, then the gray felt material will come right off. Once that's off be careful because there's a foam piece on one of the corners that gives it it's shape, that piece just falls off. Once you're down to bare box there's a series of torx screws around the perimeter of the sub remove those and a plastic retaining ring will be removed then you can grab a little rubber tab and gently lift a corner of the sub out and then gently pull the sub from the box but be careful because there's 2 pig tails attached to each side of the sub you'll have to unclip before the sub can come all the way out. What's wrong with your sub that you have to remove it?

To put in a LARGE 12.... 1750 rms SSA XCON. Oh, and because it doesn't work, lol.

Ok I still don't know how to get it out of the truck...

1 screw on each side of the box that holds it to the bracket, unplug the electrical connector and it's out. If it takes longer than a minute you're doing it wrong. (that's what she said) :D

Cool, thanks for the help everyone. I may take a look at trying to make it work since it is so simple.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back