Need info on selling a house w/o a realtor

BlackKnight

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Since my grandmother is getting older, we thought is would be better if she came to live with us. So we currently have her home on the market and we are going to sell it without a realtor. Neither myself nor my family have done this before so if any of you have, please share any input, experience and info about what I need to do: proper documents, procedure, legal issues etc etc to protect myself. Are there any good websites with this type of info? Thanks everyone

Victor

Selling the house yourself can be a pain in the rear side....you have to show it, put up with people just wasting your time and make sure all the paperwork is in order at closing.....very important.....I dont have any real advise for selling your home but consider offering a realitor less commission..they generally get 6% around here but I have paid 3% on several sales..good luck

The realtors want a flat fee of about $6000 and the ones we've tried before were lazy as hell. We have the time to show it but no way are we paying that much for someone to do paperwork.

Some realtors are dogs...I fortunely have had very good luck with the 3 realtors I have used over the years.....I am sure there are some members with experience that will help you..

I used a Realtor once out of all the homes we flipped, the house sold in three hours. The house never even made it on the MLS.... just some sign's and an open house... :dontknow: paid him 8K:mad:.
Funny... :hmmmm: :hmpf: Could not remember him ever being there when I was remodeling it.:dontknow:
So...the rest of the houses we purchased or sold, we did on our own.

None were a problem. We used a standard contract....listed, showed, and sold the rest of them. Title Company will give them to you free usually...we dealt with one, and stuck with them, so it got to be "routine"
http://www.uslegalforms.com/realestatecontracts/florida-real-estate-contracts-forms.htm

On the down side it is more labor intensive, there are risk's... and in today's market...might want the "edge" of a local Realtor to help you out.:dontknow:

PM me if you need to BS about it...I will give ya my cell.

Its funny how some people think they can do a professional job with zero experience. If you think its as easy as putting a sign up in front of your house your wrong. $6000 is really cheap for a Real Estate agent to sell your house. At the very least you should hire an agent to do the paper work for you. After you find a willing buyer. You might want to reconsider and hire him/her for the transaction. In California we have alot of disclosures, and if you miss one you might end up in a law suit. Its also a hard market to sell right now unless your priced under the REO market. So with that said I wish you GOOD LUCK! Because your going to need alot of it.

NBT, thanks for the info, I might be getting ahold of you in the next few weeks.
Sleeper, I agree with you. However, $6000 may be cheap for a property over $100,000 but we're selling a mobile home at only $39500 so in our case, we'd rather not spend the money if we didn't have to. I know this is a big undertaking and fortunately we have maintained a good relationship with the realtor whom we bought our house through. We'd be willing to pay him for help of course, but I can't justify paying that flat fee. We've tried several realtors and none wanted to spend any time and energy into our property; they weren't even doing open houses. Slowly we found ourselves doing most of the work and so just got rid of them and decided we would do it. I do have respect for realtors but have been dissappointed with some as of late.

sleeper said:
Its funny how some people think they can do a professional job with zero experience. If you think its as easy as putting a sign up in front of your house your wrong. $6000 is really cheap for a Real Estate agent to sell your house. At the very least you should hire an agent to do the paper work for you. After you find a willing buyer. You might want to reconsider and hire him/her for the transaction. In California we have alot of disclosures, and if you miss one you might end up in a law suit. Its also a hard market to sell right now unless your priced under the REO market. So with that said I wish you GOOD LUCK! Because your going to need alot of it.

Not intended that way at all... (which is usually why I stay our of certain "topics". He asked, I have, and I answered...nothing more)
I have multiple friends in real estate, and I became very comfortable with it, the contract verbage came easy, as my involvement in labor/contract organization is a constant.
It can be a PITA. Call me lucky:dontknow:

BlackKnight said:
NBT, thanks for the info, I might be getting ahold of you in the next few weeks.
Sleeper, I agree with you. However, $6000 may be cheap for a property over $100,000 but we're selling a mobile home at only $39500 so in our case, we'd rather not spend the money if we didn't have to. I know this is a big undertaking and fortunately we have maintained a good relationship with the realtor whom we bought our house through. We'd be willing to pay him for help of course, but I can't justify paying that flat fee. We've tried several realtors and none wanted to spend any time and energy into our property; they weren't even doing open houses. Slowly we found ourselves doing most of the work and so just got rid of them and decided we would do it. I do have respect for realtors but have been dissappointed with some as of late.
BlackKnight, there are companies that just list and sell mobiles. You should check them out. You could also go with Assist 2 sell RE. They will list it for you for a flat fee and make sure your covered. $6000 to sell a $39500 mobile is like stealing, but mobiles are hard to sell. We had one listed for 40k for almost a year here before we made a killing of $2500 gross:( . We put more work into that listing than most of our others.

I have talked to realtors about help u sell outfits. They have told me that most realtors will not even show their clients those properties. Best advice I could give you is make sure the property is straight, clean and inviting. Other than that it is exposure. Yes this is a tough market but not impossible. Make sure the price fits the property. Most home owners feel that their homes are the best in the area and they rarely are. Good luck with the sale.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back