Need input on a second vehicle daily driver.

rocco787

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Im lookin to get a second vehicle to be a daily driver so the 10 can rest a bit. I commute about 60 mi daily roundtrip, mostly highway with occasional stop and go traffic. Would like it to be automatic but still be fun.
So far the vehicles Im lookin at are a 1999 Dakota RT and a 2004 GTO. Ive never owned a Dakota so dont know much beyond the little bit of research Ive done so any current or past owners please chime in with advise pros and cons. I previously owned a 2006 M6 GTO so im pretty up to speed on them but still welcome opinions (helpful opinions preferred but hey, its all good).

Any other ideas too. Trying to stay under $15k.

Thanks for the input,
Aron

Aron, as a previous 04 GTO owner and a driver of an 06 GTO more times than I count, you will be disappointed with the 04 after owning an 06. I got 25-27 mpg with my 04 on the highway cruising in 6th gear so I give the fuel economy advantage to the car. I have no personal experience with the dakota R/Ts but I always liked them and would buy one if a deal came up. Have you ever thought about a C5 Vette? You can also get one fo them in your price range.

eh...only slightly concerned. The 10 is gettin about 12-13 avg, i see 18-20 cruisin on the hwy

Aron, as a previous 04 GTO owner and a driver of an 06 GTO more times than I count, you will be disappointed with the 04 after owning an 06. I got 25-27 mpg with my 04 on the highway cruising in 6th gear so I give the fuel economy advantage to the car. I have no personal experience with the dakota R/Ts but I always liked them and would buy one if a deal came up. Have you ever thought about a C5 Vette? You can also get one fo them in your price range.

Not a bad idea on the C5. I did find a RT dakota with about 22k miles, looks like it was babied and guy is asking around $9k.

Not a bad idea on the C5. I did find a RT dakota with about 22k miles, looks like it was babied and guy is asking around $9k.

And u could put a t56 in the Dakota if ya wanted. My bud did and livened it up a lot.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

Im lookin to get a second vehicle to be a daily driver so the 10 can rest a bit. I commute about 60 mi daily roundtrip, mostly highway with occasional stop and go traffic. Would like it to be automatic but still be fun.
So far the vehicles Im lookin at are a 1999 Dakota RT and a 2004 GTO. Ive never owned a Dakota so dont know much beyond the little bit of research Ive done so any current or past owners please chime in with advise pros and cons. I previously owned a 2006 M6 GTO so im pretty up to speed on them but still welcome opinions (helpful opinions preferred but hey, its all good).

Any other ideas too. Trying to stay under $15k.

Thanks for the input,
Aron

Unmolested Lightning

own a 1999 dakota wasnt an rt had the magnum v8 in it great little truck but fuel economy did suck pretty bad. i know i have been looking at the new 2014 1500 eco diesel gets between 27-30mpg on the highway for a 4x4 plus i know for me still gives me the tq for plowing and light towing while i am at it :).

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back