Need some help with sticking.

mikeu220

Reaction score
Hi guys. I need some advice for better traction. I went to the drag strip last Saturday and was pretty bummed out about the numbers I ran. 14.5 was my best 1/4mile time. (Averaging 15secs) This is my first time at the track and had to run a few passes (like 12) to get the trick of it. My best launch was from a dead start easy on the clutch not dumping it. Instead of 2500-3000rpm. Shifting to Second gear was like racing on butter. But Really..14.5 secs.... I would love to know what set up you guys have for traction and what wheel set up? I love my Dyno numbers but Im ashamed of my performance.

My truck isn't stock btw. I have CAI, oneleaf T/B, belanger headers, dual E-cutouts/ no cats, borla exhaust, SCT w/ roe racing 93oct tune. Spec stage3+ clutch and aluminum flywheel. Viper master slave/hydraulics and b&m short throw shifter. I was running with the stock Perrelli Zero tires. Stock suspension.

I need some schooling on DragRacing!!!

You could install a set of Cal-tracs and try DR's.:)

what was your 60ft time?

im looking at the slips right now and my best one was 60ft time@ 2.502, vehicle speed @103.21 and time was 14.083

other times where 60ft from 2.455-2.826 top speed 98-101. and times where 14.3-15.3

had to be 2.4 60's or better and i bet second gear you were wheel hopping all the way through...

you need to slip the clutch to get good times on street tires...

i usually run about 3500 rpms and slip the clutch and moderate the gas... i usually cut 1.9's on streets and if you powershift into second, you'll most likely get a lot of wheel hop... so try to slow that 1-2 shift down a bit so that doesn't happen...

but if your times are that slow, i'd say you're shifting is pretty slow, also...

your best thing is a set of DR's no question...

What tire set up are you guys running. ei cheater slicks and wheels?

(g) 390/40R17

MH 390 40 17 on pacer ridgelines (discontinued) eagle 058's are also discontinued, i believe, but maybe not... or ultra wheels makes a 17 that fits.

if you run slicks on a stock axle you'll break it, and you have to grind the rear calipers anyways... those 3 17's above will clear the rear calipers...

had to be 2.4 60's or better and i bet second gear you were wheel hopping all the way through...

you need to slip the clutch to get good times on street tires...

i usually run about 3500 rpms and slip the clutch and moderate the gas... i usually cut 1.9's on streets and if you powershift into second, you'll most likely get a lot of wheel hop... so try to slow that 1-2 shift down a bit so that doesn't happen...

but if your times are that slow, i'd say you're shifting is pretty slow, also...

your best thing is a set of DR's no question...

Yea my shifting is pretty slow compared with you guys. Second gear I do wheel hop. I have to let of the gas so i do not fish tail, then get back on it. Im also shifting at around 5300-5500rpm and poping the clutch. How would i ease off the clutch as such high rpms?

if you have to let off at all during the run then that track prep is CRAP! and that's why the poor times...

wheel hop is different than sliding around!!

you can't really change or moderate the way the clutch reacts during the run, but for instance if you're shifting really fast, and not letting off the gas (powershifting) and just barely breezing the clutch between shifts, you could let off the gas and shift normally, but quickly...

but it almost sounds like you're not shifting very fast, and still in second gear breaking loose????

or does it feel that way because you're not comfortable with the truck at the track yet, and letting off just to be safe?? not bashing, just trying to gauge how you "feel" in the truck... if it's just wheel hopping, you won't (or shouldn't) have any fear of actually sliding or fishtailing in a truck with only the mods you have...

(g) 390/40R17

MH 390 40 17 on pacer ridgelines (discontinued) eagle 058's are also discontinued, i believe, but maybe not... or ultra wheels makes a 17 that fits.

if you run slicks on a stock axle you'll break it, and you have to grind the rear calipers anyways... those 3 17's above will clear the rear calipers...

Are those MH390 40 17 DR safer than the cheater slicks? I mean Axle safe? They look pretty good!

as a gauge, your and my truck is very similar, and my best time on street tires is 8.3 in the 8th at sea level... with a 1.91 60' time...

i don't know personally what that equates to in the 1/4 as i've never run, but according to the calculator, that's a solid 12 second run...

Are those MH390 40 17 DR safer than the cheater slicks? I mean Axle safe? They look pretty good!

slicks will break the axle for sure...

BUT the DR's are a good compromise... the fastest N/A truck here was running those tires, and was cutting 1.6-1.7 60' times... it not only helps at launch, but also when you really start powershifting or speedshifting, the 1-2 shift won't have any axle hop either, so you'll pick up quite a bit of time...

i would recommend that you at least have the spyder gears in the rear end cryoed before running DR's... it's not too expensive, and good insurance...

if you have to let off at all during the run then that track prep is CRAP! and that's why the poor times...

wheel hop is different than sliding around!!

you can't really change or moderate the way the clutch reacts during the run, but for instance if you're shifting really fast, and not letting off the gas (powershifting) and just barely breezing the clutch between shifts, you could let off the gas and shift normally, but quickly...

but it almost sounds like you're not shifting very fast, and still in second gear breaking loose????

or does it feel that way because you're not comfortable with the truck at the track yet, and letting off just to be safe?? not bashing, just trying to gauge how you "feel" in the truck... if it's just wheel hopping, you won't (or shouldn't) have any fear of actually sliding or fishtailing in a truck with only the mods you have...

Haha dont worry about bashing, I got thick skin. tell the truth I wasn't completely comfortable. It wasnt just wheel hoping in second. The rear felt like it was sliding to the right. I wasnt powershifting, too chicken for that! Haha. I would let off the gas and then shift. Now that I see your time I need to get more acquainted with my truck and how she shifts.

But I do feel like I need better tires. And that Traction bar.

On street tires, lower the pressure to about 17#. Launch that the wheels only spin a couple of times then squeeze the petal to the floor. Don't slam it! Don't power shift second make it firm. Powershift 3rd. With your mph you should be low to mid 13's. Practice minimizing the spin . Master the launch with streets then go to drag radials ! Have fun !! Remember, these are heavy , trucks. If you want to go drag racing buy a mustang!! Enjoy the truck for what it is! A beast that slithers!!

slicks will break the axle for sure...

BUT the DR's are a good compromise... the fastest N/A truck here was running those tires, and was cutting 1.6-1.7 60' times... it not only helps at launch, but also when you really start powershifting or speedshifting, the 1-2 shift won't have any axle hop either, so you'll pick up quite a bit of time...

i would recommend that you at least have the spyder gears in the rear end cryoed before running DR's... it's not too expensive, and good insurance...

Ok I guess im a little behind. What is cryoed? ad where would they do that? I was looking into different ratio's in the future like a 4.55 or the 4.88. (i think those are right?) But wanted to get traction first.

What wheels are you using the DR"s with?

Ok I guess im a little behind. What is cryoed? ad where would they do that? I was looking into different ratio's in the future like a 4.55 or the 4.88. (i think those are right?) But wanted to get traction first.

What wheels are you using the DR"s with?

4.56**

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back