Need some input. Round table discussion on the future of the Supercharger kits

Roe Racing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I have to make a decision based on solid information and need your input. It’s regarding the Top Mount Twin Screw Supercharger kits we’ve been making.

Back in late 2006, when we began sending out the kits in a production form, they were intended to be a product that added great HP per dollar while pushing the capabilities of the stock engine to the limits of the pistons. In the regard of the pistons, we’ve all seen since then that their durability is really weak to any form of forced induction. Many people who go F.I. on their engines end up upgrading the internals (pistons and rods) to make repairs and accommodate the power adders.

Some things have changed since we began making the SC kits a few years ago. Improvements to the compressor and engine management have been made, but mainly, the cost to produce has changed. At the time I began making them, I owned two CNC machining centers. To figure out what the kits had to sell for, I simply took my cost of materials, the monthly payments on the machines divided by 40 hours a week and multiplied by the time it took to machine the parts, the cost of the individual smaller parts (injectors, bolts, etc) and added the actual labor time at the shop labor rate to machine / assemble / package each kit. That was what the kits ended up being sold for. We were basically covering expenses and earning our income based on the labor work done. It was a fair way to do it.

Last October, we downsized and I sold the CNC machines. There are lots of machine shops needing work right now, so I was able to justify loosing that floor space and overhead in favor of having parts made as needed at outside shops. Before selling the machines, we made a bunch of inventory. So, over the last several months we’ve been using that inventory and taking the time to test a different supercharger (the Eaton TVS 2300). As an FYI, the Eaton is not “better†in this application and we’re not going to go with it on the trucks. The 3.3L is still better.

So, here’s where we’re at today. In order to make more kits, I had to get current price quotes on machine work and parts.

Until now, the kits were $6150 in black. Let’s say that the peak HP to peak HP gain was 150 (though obviously, the percentage gain and torque gain at lower RPM’s is much higher). $6,150 divided by 150 equals $41 per HP. That’s pretty cheap horsepower in a specialty / low volume application like this. If you use a smaller pulley and get another 25-50 HP, that HP to dollar figure gets even better.

To build today’s kits, it’s going to cost $7,365. An SCT or VEC3 will be beyond that (we won’t make it a part of a package now because so many of them are out there). Using the same 150 HP value as before, that makes each HP gain about $49. Still ok, but before I go out and borrow on a credit line to make kits, I need to find out from you guys if there’s enough market / demand / interest in them. I’m not in a position to sit on $73,650 in additional inventory.

There are some other things influencing my decision that you all should be made aware of; I don’t know where the HP cap is for this kit. It wasn’t tested by me beyond about 650 RWHP. If a guy gets a built motor and wants to go higher, this may not be the kit for it. In that case, a twin turbo is the best option. Higher boost and less HP loss due to driving the form of forced induction would absolutely yield more horsepower.

If demand is low on the kits, I’m considering not making them any more and making a twin turbo kit instead. That will allow the guys with existing twin screw Supercharger an outlet to sell the kit at a good price and an avenue to go higher HP on their forced induction. On the Viper cars for example, SC kits that are upwards of seven years old are still bringing $5,000 and some newer ones are trading at $6,500. That’s at least 66% of new. Use the same math on the Ram and a used kit would sell for at least around $4,060. Not bad for the buyer and seller both.

To do a production twin turbo kit with an intercooler would probably run about $9,000 to $10,000 based on what we’re spending on the car kit right now (don’t hold me to that, it’s just an estimate based on current / projected expenses).

Given that a twin screw SC kit will only be about $2,500 less than a Twin Turbo and is HP limited, what would you guys do if it were you? Obviously, if money and man power were dramatically different, I would do both at the same time. But, I’m not in a position to do both at once and if I start making the SC kits now, it will simply put the possibility of a turbo kit that much farther down the road.

Need some input here guys. What do you think? I want to make a sound decision on how to best spend my time and energy. You’re all the ones that would be burning tires at the other end of this process, so your input is very valuable to me.

Thanks in advance,
Sean

Have you ruled out a single turbo kit that would start out HP wise similar to the current SC setup and then maybe have options to upgrade from there?? or would that not really be any cheaper than a twin turbo setup?? i'm thinking maybe a 76MM standard and an 88MM option?? if they could use all the same piping and what not.

Sean..I appreciate the fact that you think enough of us merry band of nutcases to seek our input. I think it is commendable that you laid out the situation in this way. It shows you care about what we as customers think.
All of the vendors are top notch on here, and this is just another example of that.
My thought after reading your post is that you seem to have already decided on what you want to do. I got this from the tone of your post .The TMTS is a great product. You have helped alot of guys reach new levels with their quest for HP at an affordable price. I have never seen a post that had a hint of hard feelings in it directed ot you or your company.
The thing I keep coming back to is that you have already taken the TMTS to a level that has proven itself to be reliable, and sensible for the street. It would seem it is time to move in a new direction for you. Give it a shot..you can always go back to making your kit, or refining it for more hp at a later date if the twin turbo doesnt work out. Just my opinion..such that it is..

If I were you, I would have an option of 'made to order' for the existing S/C. Add the additional cost for single orders and advertise an estimated lead time to have a kit made. There will be customers with the means that would want to go the S/C route even if it was $8000 for a kit.

Considering the economy and deteriorating Ram SRT10 customer base, I think it would be negligible losing those S/C customers who would be willing to pay $6000 but not $8000 for a kit.

I agree with the turbo idea a Single Kit would help alot of us out...and for us with already built motors it would be easy to push our trucks to the limit quick..when i priced doing a single turbo kit i came out about 4k in parts so you could build a single turbo kit for what your selling your S/C for and have a happy customer in the end

Tooloe said:
I agree with the turbo idea a Single Kit would help alot of us out...and for us with already built motors it would be easy to push our trucks to the limit quick..when i priced doing a single turbo kit i came out about 4k in parts so you could build a single turbo kit for what your selling your S/C for and have a happy customer in the end
:rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock:

Sean, I would have to say I'm a fan of the TS. Maybe continue offering a 3.3 litre kit along with a 4 litre upgrade. Nothing comes close to the torque at low RPM's. The problem lies in the HP limitation because of the lack of an intercooler. I think your very first design (yellow truck) in which the SC mounted sideways or a SC with the intake on the front rather than the top would be the way to go. This would allow for at least a 3 inch intercooler core and the use of your existing manifold design. I would be interested in the brackets and setup you used on the yellow truck if you still have any of those parts. I've attached some pics of my progress.

sidewinder-C.jpg

CIMG8292.jpg

CIMG8290.jpg

CIMG8294.jpg

CIMG8293.jpg

CIMG8289.jpg

CIMG8295.jpg

I think for the price a turbo, single & twin, is your best route.......though being a small business consultant I would question how many units, SC or turbo, you can sell for a vehicle that is not made anymore and has a low production number....on top of that you have more competition now like JMB who has developed the procharger and has a turbo package....:dontknow:

At this point I am happy with the Roe and would not be interested in changing to turbo......even if I could afford to..:(

I would have to agree with TNviper. Your twin screw is what sets you apart from the rest. I don't know of any twin turbo "kits" on the market either though. IF you decide to continue on with the TS systems may I humbly recommend the Whipple units. The 3.3L outperforms the Lyshcolm and a 4.0L upgrade option would allow people the capability of 20psi of boost on a built engine. Naturally there are limitations in packaging as the length and width of the units increase with displacement. Rear feeds would free up space for an intercooler but would require shifting the TS forward significantly to make room for the TB and airbox at the rear.

10k for a kit what does that include your whole fuel setup to handle a 1000whp??? does that include a vec3? to tune with. is that installed or is it a dyi kit? does that include a dyno tune with it?

JMBS TURBO KIT

88MM T6 Turbo
Shorty Headers
All Turbo Piping including air filter and high torque/T-bolt clamps
Tial BOV and Wastegate (with appropriate spring for boost level)
VEC3 Engine Management
Full Fuel system good for 1100+ WHP including new injectors, pumps, regulator, filter, and lines.
Full 5" high temp powdercoated exhaust system with rear exit in stock location
Water Injection
All Exhaust parts except catback are 1700 degree Jet-Hot Coated
All Turbo piping powdercoated in your color choice
Upper and lower radiator pipe set (required for clearance)
Stainless Steel Braided Oil Feed and Return lines
Heat Protection on all parts near turbo piping
All Gaskets/Fluids
Full Install
Dyno tune
EVERYTHING included to bolt onto a completely stock truck and make over 700WHP on 7-8 psi. Do a mild motor build and turn it up even more!!! $14,995

not really a bad price when you consider what you get

I would really like to see a rear inlet whipple..... I've been thinking of buying on and having your hat modified to fit a inlet for a mustang or something and have it come off the drivers side...

I'm really happy with this blower, lots of fun on the street and it's proven high 10's low 11's with some gas.......

That being said If the intake isn't improved to something like the gt500's or factory style intercooled intakes, the turbo sounds great!

How much does it cost to keep the motor from blowing up? With FI, do you have to upgrade the clutch, diff, tranny? I would consider FI if it could be put to the ground on the street or a road course. A reliable turbo or centrifigal intercooled s/c would be my vote.

Yeah, I'm going to change it anyway, just waiting for my borrowed time to expire. I'm not new to FI, I had a 712rwhp s/c Z06 so I know it takes money. Just wondering if this truck is built any better to handle it or if it's the same as any car you "blow".

Sean,

Input, as requested- The Good, The Bad & The Ugly...

I'd first like to say that your customer service must be fantastic as I hear it all the time on the Forums. Kudos to you and your staff !

Personally, I never did like the idea of using a twin-screw kit on the Viper trucks for the masses. Too much boost too fast before the weight of the vehicle was underway. The truck's engine is placed under heavy grunt which sets up nearly perfect conditions for detonation. Throw in a tank of poor fuel and tow with it at w.o.t. and the end is near. And that is the kind of stuff some people DO.

On a Viper car that weighs 1800 pounds less than a Quad Cab, and has a manual transmission, sure; I think the engines stand a much better chance.

Some of the Viper engines (in trucks) with twin screws installed had catastrophic failures from detonation (I know because I've fixed a few of them); Pitted and cracked crowns down to the land area with chunks missing, spotted plugs (aluminum), hammered rod bearings= classic detonation damage. These repairs were costly, to say the least. It also really put the fear of god into these guys wanting to ever mod their trucks again.

I think the common perception was after a short weekend of work installing the Roe kit, all would be well...But the reality is, BEFORE a twin-screw is installed on a Viper truck, add forged pistons to the cost of the project. They WON'T solve the prone-to-detonation problem nor prevent an inevitable failure down the road if detonation goes unchecked, they just won't shatter and possibly take out a rod like the stock cast pistons sometimes do when detonation is present and they come apart.

Standard hydraulic lifters aren't readily available for these engines so you can't even kill off low r.p.m. cylinder pressure without using an overly aggressive cam profile. I don't see an easy solution here although things like Methanol Injection can help, but: Tune to be really safe and the engine won't produce much power. Tune for power- You had better be using an educated foot. And that is what I meant when I said- "For The Masses".

Some guys like them, but I don't, not for the trucks (for the reasons above)....

I'd look at a well designed turbo kit instead, any day.

Ronnie

Last edited:
OK...you asked...but I think we have the cart before the horse, maybe.

What is going to happen with the Viper, anyone have an idea? We know that Chrysler has been trying to sell the division for several years...that seems to be a critical piece of the equation. Following on that, is there a way to take your next step in a direction that support both the car and the truck? There will be a base of Vipers for a few years to come, and many will be looking for modifications...is there any way to create a FI package that will require only minor adjustments to address both the car and truck market? And in my opinion the Viper sport car is by far the bigger market.

I think there is a large potential market in turbos for the car, and if that can be made to work for the truck great! So in a nut shell, I think from a business perspective you really need to consider where the potential market will come from and what other markets could be added (i.e. our trucks) with minor alterations.

If I were your paid consultant I would say develop for the largest potential market and make minor alterations for the niche markets. Moving to twin turbo technology for the big builds, with a step down for the medium builds, and spin-offs for us truck guys...later on, add an upgrade for my beloved Twin Screw...

There are three times as many Vipers around as Viper Trucks (my guess), and that says to me that your market is the car, not the truck.

Just my two cents worth...thanks for the unending support and wonderful service over the years!

Roy

Last edited:
Prof said:
OK...you asked...but I think we have the cart before the horse, maybe.

What is going to happen with the Viper, anyone have an idea? We know that Chrysler has been trying to sell the division for several years...that seems to be a critical piece of the equation. Following on that, is there a way to take your next step in a direction that support both the car and the truck? There will be a base of Vipers for a few years to come, and many will be looking for modifications...is there any way to create a FI package that will require only minor adjustments to address both the car and truck market? And in my opinion the Viper sport car is by far the bigger market.

I think there is a large potential market in turbos for the car, and if that can be made to work for the truck great! So in a nut shell, I think from a business perspective you really need to consider where the potential market will come from and what other markets could be added (i.e. our trucks) with minor alterations.

If I were your paid consultant I would say develop for the largest potential market and make minor alterations for the niche markets. Moving to twin turbo technology for the big builds, with a step down for the medium builds, and spin-offs for us truck guys...later on, add an upgrade for my beloved Twin Screw...

There are three times as many Vipers around as Viper Trucks (my guess), and that says to me that your market is the car, not the truck.

Just my two cents worth...thanks for the unending support and wonderful service over the years!

Roy

Totally agree with Roy on this subject. I haven't been around here for a while, but I know business and to me you need to find a way to incorporate a turbo package for the cars and trucks like Roy said. Then you can have multiple turbo packages, twin and single with option to upgrade to twin. For me it's hard to gauge this because the truck is out of production, and the viper might be soon to follow. There are definitely people wanting to get more hp, me :D , but right now I don't have the funds. Definitely limit the kits you build.

the 4.0L is the same height just longer.... use a rear inlet with a bend towards the front on the drivers side plumb your bypass into it and the back of the manifold, and filt the Hat and throttle body to the inlet pipe......

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back