New Daily Driver

lbstone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As of lately I've had to replace a few incidentals on my Caddy Eldorado (Radiator, rotors, pads, plugs, wires and ignition) and lost trust in it as my daily driver. It stranded me twice, once when the for some reaason my key just stopped working in the ignition and again when my radiator developed a rather large crack for no apparent reason. I refuse to rely on my truck as a daily driver. When using the truck as an actual mode of transportation, I dont enjoy it to the same level I do pulling her out here and there for a trip to the gym or store. I appreciate the truck much more when I dont "need" to drive her but "choose" to. That being said, I decided to pick up a new daily driver.

After much thought, I decided I wanted something sporty, economical, refined and fun to drive but also reliable, affordable and able to retain its value better then the truck, or my Caddy for that matter. After checking out a few rides, I settled on a 2008 Honda Accord EX-L V-6 Coupe. First off, yes I do fit in it, and rather well I might add. After a test drive, I fell in love. The car performs very well, has a very compliant ride (anything feels compliant next to my lowered 2 ton SRT!!) and is pretty damned good on gas (not that I've ever cared, I drive a Caddy and a SRT-10!) I got the car loaded minus the Navigation (useless for me). I opted for the nice blue one in all the Honda commercials and will take delivery next week. I'm a bit excited cause I always love having a brand new car that I can account for every mile. I purchased my truck used with 13K but I previously had a Magnum RT that I purchased new and it was a great feeling. BTW, my salesman is a huge strongman fan and gave me the car for $26.5K, sticker says $28.5K. They also had to order it from another dealership, the V-6's are few and fare between here!!

112_0708_41z+2008_honda_accord_exl_v6+front_three_quarters_view.jpg

112_0708_44z+2008_honda_accord_exl_v6+back_three_quarters_view.jpg

Last edited:
Also, here's a cool video http://www.motortrend.com/av/roadtests/112_0709_2008_honda_accord_coupe/

I opted to forgo the 6 speed MT for the 5 speed Auto! I love driving a standard but after owning several standard vehicles, I now am content with the transmission doing all the shifting. I think the 6 speed is more for someone who wants the car as double duty, sporty but a good mode of transport. The truck is all the sport I need, I now wanted simple, plus, shifting is a pain in the ass after a heavy day of training strongman events!!

Very nice choice. Honda makes wonderful vehicles.

My wife has been driving a Prius for several years and it is a wonderfully engineered car. While I have an eleven year old Volvo as a daily driver (I concur with your feelings about how and when to drive the truck!) that I dearly love, we are about to replace the Volvo...with...

A second Prius...it has been so good: only oil changes and tire rotations in 35,000 miles over three years. It has proven to be wonderful in the snow, comfortable and totally trouble free. So my classic Volvo will be replaced as a daily driver with the old Prius...and Christine will get a new Prius.

I have asked her to look at the Tesla...and she is impressed...so there is a chance, but I think a slim one...

http://www.teslamotors.com/

I wanted an 08 Viper but the only real wage earner in the family says having two vehicles with only two seats and only roll in warm dry weather is too much of a good thing.

While I don't really keep track, she loves trying to keep her mileage above 50 mpg!!!!!!! I on the other hand will continue to try to keep my gas consumption at a level that my investments in Exxon and Shell will prove to be great decisions. The question is, just how low will I be able to get the old Prius mileage?

Last edited:
Very nice.My wife drives the "02" version of that car and loves it.Honda makes some great cars.And bikes too!! Congrats!

Very nice car. I can say honestly though I am glad I do not drive one. I feel funny if I am not in a truck.

Prof said:
I have asked her to look at the Tesla...and she is impressed...so there is a chance, but I think a slim one...

Dayum! $98k base price and this info on their website:

2008 Tesla Roadsters have all been reserved and we have started a wait list for the 2009 model year. If you would like to add your name to the wait list, a $5,000 payment is required. Follow the instructions below to begin.

Pretty nice though 0-60 in 3.9 seconds.

if it breaks down you can just pick it up and tote it to work.:D

Prof said:
Very nice choice. Honda makes wonderful vehicles.

My wife has been driving a Prius for several years and it is a wonderfully engineered car. While I have an eleven year old Volvo as a daily driver (I concur with your feelings about how and when to drive the truck!) that I dearly love, we are about to replace the Volvo...with...

A second Prius...it has been so good: only oil changes and tire rotations in 35,000 miles over three years. It has proven to be wonderful in the snow, comfortable and totally trouble free. So my classic Volvo will be replaced as a daily driver with the old Prius...and Christine will get a new Prius.

I wanted an 08 Viper but the only real wage earner in the family says having two vehicles with only two seats and only roll in warm dry weather is too much of a good thing.

While I don't really keep track, she loves trying to keep her mileage above 50 mpg!!!!!!! I on the other hand will continue to try to keep my gas consumption at a level that my investments in Exxon and Shell will prove to be great decisions. The question is, just how low will I be able to get the old Prius mileage?
Tell your wife to buy a Hummer! The Prius isn't as green as she thinks it is. Read up on how the batteries are made and the amount of shipping costs and pollution. IMO and others the Prius is a bad deal.

The Accord came in today while I was working on my house. I had my gf drop of some money when she called me and told me my car was already there. I called them and asked that they don't put those damned dealership stickers on the rear end of the car, the front license plate bracket was already on the car :mad:

Sleeper you are so negative about so much...chill, man and enjoy life.

Good luck with it, at least you know you wont have any car problems soon!

PS...I need to see a pic of you in it, cuz I still dont believe you fit!!!!!

Thats a nice ride................I find it amazing you fit in there comfortably!!

Honda's are great econo rides. I gave my Gf one last year..........I keep threatening to install a "fartcan" muffler on it!!!! LOL Yeah right!!!

patrick

I should be picking the car up on Monday so long as I can find a bit of time in my schedule (the dealer is an hour away). I re-injured my back while training on yesterday so I'll be off from the gym for a few days/weeks so I don't forsee any delays. I'll be sure to take a pic of me in the car. I'm telling you, I have just as much room in the Accord then I had in my Eldorado. The newer imports have been pretty good on headroom since that was always a problem in the past with American buyers. With me know-a-days in the newer imports, its more of a width issue. In most imports, my left shoulder hits the B pillar and if I have a front seat passenger, I'm rubbing elbows with them, literally!! The new Accord is wider in addition to the interior panels being concave. This gives me a bit more elbow room which is also an issue with me. I'm telling you, I was a doubter when I first considered the car after reading so many great reviews about it. I put a ton of thought into this purchase and cant be happier, and I haven't even taken delivery yet. I have spent quite a bit of time behind the wheel of my girls 05 Accord (4 door EX V-6)) and I must say, its very enjoyable. My caddy is a great car, tons of power (270 hp and 300 torque) and the gas isn't too bad averaging 15 - 19 mpg per tank with a majority of my driving in the city but on premium fuel as aposed to the 87 for the Accord. The Accords ride is also a bit firmer but handles the bumps with less fuss due to being about 900 lbs lighter. All in all, I'm still impressed with the Caddy considering it's giving up 10 years to the Accord but I'm pleased with the decision. This point im my life, I can't be bothered with vehicles being downed. I hate trusting mechanics but the Northstar V8 is so crammed in the Eldorado, I cant even change the oil myself because of my catcher mits for hands are to big to reach up and unscrew the oil filter!!!!

BTW, anyone interested in getting a great deal on my Caddy, I posted it here http://www.vtcoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19603&highlight=eldorado and will take a bare minimum of $5800 for the car. I love the car and have been toying with the idea of keeping it but the Mill rate in Waterbury, CT is the highest in the country so my car taxes are insane. I cant justify paying $1800 a year for my truck, $600 a year for my Caddy then another $1800 a year for the Accord plus insurance. I posted the Eldorado in the local paper here but actually turned away the first guy interested. He was a scrubby, dirty bastard and I didn't want to see the Caddy go to a bad home. It sounds goofy but the guy was a grease monkey and wanted to take a test drive in his dirty ass clothes and greasy shoes. I told him to take a hike, the leather interior is perfect along with the rest of the car. So going to a good home is a requirement, the car is mint. Also, I'm thinking of signing the car's dash and trying to sell it on E-bay advertising the fact that its Americas Strongest Man, Worlds Strongest Cop and possibly the Worlds Strongest Man's car! Hell, A F'ing Corn Flake shaped like Illinois got $1,200 for gods sake!! Sorry for rambling, damned pain killers for my back have me all F'ed up!!

It's O.K. Derek, sometime ya just gotta vent ..... Hope all works out for ya.

Jim

lbstone said:
I should be picking the car up on Monday so long as I can find a bit of time in my schedule (the dealer is an hour away). I re-injured my back while training on yesterday so I'll be off from the gym for a few days/weeks so I don't forsee any delays. I'll be sure to take a pic of me in the car. I'm telling you, I have just as much room in the Accord then I had in my Eldorado. The newer imports have been pretty good on headroom since that was always a problem in the past with American buyers. With me know-a-days in the newer imports, its more of a width issue. In most imports, my left shoulder hits the B pillar and if I have a front seat passenger, I'm rubbing elbows with them, literally!! The new Accord is wider in addition to the interior panels being concave. This gives me a bit more elbow room which is also an issue with me. I'm telling you, I was a doubter when I first considered the car after reading so many great reviews about it. I put a ton of thought into this purchase and cant be happier, and I haven't even taken delivery yet. I have spent quite a bit of time behind the wheel of my girls 05 Accord (4 door EX V-6)) and I must say, its very enjoyable. My caddy is a great car, tons of power (270 hp and 300 torque) and the gas isn't too bad averaging 15 - 19 mpg per tank with a majority of my driving in the city but on premium fuel as aposed to the 87 for the Accord. The Accords ride is also a bit firmer but handles the bumps with less fuss due to being about 900 lbs lighter. All in all, I'm still impressed with the Caddy considering it's giving up 10 years to the Accord but I'm pleased with the decision. This point im my life, I can't be bothered with vehicles being downed. I hate trusting mechanics but the Northstar V8 is so crammed in the Eldorado, I cant even change the oil myself because of my catcher mits for hands are to big to reach up and unscrew the oil filter!!!!

BTW, anyone interested in getting a great deal on my Caddy, I posted it here http://www.vtcoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19603&highlight=eldorado and will take a bare minimum of $5800 for the car. I love the car and have been toying with the idea of keeping it but the Mill rate in Waterbury, CT is the highest in the country so my car taxes are insane. I cant justify paying $1800 a year for my truck, $600 a year for my Caddy then another $1800 a year for the Accord plus insurance. I posted the Eldorado in the local paper here but actually turned away the first guy interested. He was a scrubby, dirty bastard and I didn't want to see the Caddy go to a bad home. It sounds goofy but the guy was a grease monkey and wanted to take a test drive in his dirty ass clothes and greasy shoes. I told him to take a hike, the leather interior is perfect along with the rest of the car. So going to a good home is a requirement, the car is mint. Also, I'm thinking of signing the car's dash and trying to sell it on E-bay advertising the fact that its Americas Strongest Man, Worlds Strongest Cop and possibly the Worlds Strongest Man's car! Hell, A F'ing Corn Flake shaped like Illinois got $1,200 for gods sake!! Sorry for rambling, damned pain killers for my back have me all F'ed up!!

you sure you've seen SILVERBACK :dontknow: :confused:

My GF's Honda has a power seat switch that lowers the seat for tall f#ckers like us (I'm 6.2......... and skinny compared to you Big man) With the setting on low I fit in there great. On her setting, my head is practically touching the roof..........I hate that claustraphobic feeling.

I sold my toyota 4 runner to get a hemi truck in 03 cause I felt too dam cramped in there.........rubbing elbows for sure.

Your taxes are insane there dude........thats the one thing that is cheap here, very low car tax. I pay about $225 for plates, thats it.

patrick

Just an update. I've had the new Accord for 2 days now and I've very pleased. I hate to say it but after purchasing a new Magnum RT loaded minus navigation and AWD back in 04, the Accord is a much better value. All said and done after taxes and reg fees, I was still under $30K fully loaded minus only Navigation, my Magnum was #35K all said and done ($32K before taxes and crap). Tho look of the Accord Coupe is awesome, it has a very aggressive, almost European look. I've yet to take a picture of me sitting inside but will be sure to post one up tonight. As far as driving observations, the car feels very light and the Auto tranny is telepathic. It hits downshifts at the perfect time and holds gears just long enough. I dont regret for one moment getting the Auto. The suspension is firm but very forgiving over bumps and crappy pavement. I haven't really gotten on it yet but for once on the highway. Its no SRT-10 but I did hit a very confident and easy 110 mph around a very curvy portion of the highway. The car has plenty of power and builds it very rapidly due to the VTEC. No redline runs for me yet, just that one jaunt up to about 6K of the 7,800 rpm redline on the highway!! The Accord is a great addition to the stable!!

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back