New guy oil change question

I prefer the 15/50 as its thicker on startup and thicker at engine temp. Our engines aren't the norm being we have NO cam bearings. I like the thicker oil as a barrier between the aluminum cam journals and the steel camshaft :burnout:
If it were 10* ever here I'd drop to a bit thinner oil simply for startup protection. ;)

This thread is now making me wonder... My truck says to use Mobil 1 10w30 right on the oil cap..
I've always used Mobil 1 anyway in all my vehicles, but what about the 10w30?? Should I not be using 10w30?
Thats what I've always put in it and what was stated by manufacturer..

Why the change apparently in 05?

I'm at 40,xxx miles now and all seems ok.. Mine gets parked in the winter, so super cold days are rarely ever an issue..

This thread is now making me wonder... My truck says to use Mobil 1 10w30 right on the oil cap..
I've always used Mobil 1 anyway in all my vehicles, but what about the 10w30?? Should I not be using 10w30?
Thats what I've always put in it and what was stated by manufacturer..

Why the change apparently in 05?

I'm at 40,xxx miles now and all seems ok.. Mine gets parked in the winter, so super cold days are rarely ever an issue..
My oil cap says the same thing (04 RC). I still use 0w40.

The recommendation on the oil cap is general and tries to cover all climates with what they feel is a safe oil from Canada to Mexico and Cali to NY. All very different climates yet one weight oil recommended? That's where you get what you need bases on your driving and climate. If you race I suggest 15/50:rock:

I don't race mine (no track).. I may have the occasional WOT bug hit me or maybe a "sinful" light to light run but thats it.. 10w30 should be fine for my relatively light duty use and not daily driven..

That said,
I notice though that Mopar seemed to change the oil weight recommendation from 04 to 05 though.. Why? were the other weights not available in 04??

I don't race mine (no track).. I may have the occasional WOT bug hit me or maybe a "sinful" light to light run but thats it.. 10w30 should be fine for my relatively light duty use and not daily driven..

That said,
I notice though that Mopar seemed to change the oil weight recommendation from 04 to 05 though.. Why? were the other weights not available in 04??

10w30 was found to completely ruin engines, transmissions, transfer cases, power steering pumps, brake fluid reservoirs, and rear ends, usually all at the same time. It also cuts several MPG from your average. You didn't get the letter in the mail that discusses this? :D

The cap is not general it's pretty fkn specific.
I do not run synthetic oil period.

Dom
Undefeated on the Internet

I'm saying its one weight that they decided could cover DD and an occasional romp on a car that rarely sees mileage. See what the Viper Cup and ACR racers , 24 hours of Lemans, run. It's usually a custom blended oil that's 15/50 In most cases. Like I said, weight should depend on the duties of that particular engine and climate its subjected to. I prefer 15/50 in warm climates to keep the barriers between bearings and steel journals or in the cams case as insurance between aluminum and steel! If I lived in Canada or a colder climate I'd likely use the 0/40.
What weight does Justin use in your truck? Why no synthetic? On break in I see a non synthetic , non detergent oil to let rings seat but after that synthetic.
image.jpg

10w30 was found to completely ruin engines, transmissions, transfer cases, power steering pumps, brake fluid reservoirs, and rear ends, usually all at the same time. It also cuts several MPG from your average. You didn't get the letter in the mail that discusses this? :D

That explains why the 4wd on mine doesn't work then... :mad: Damn, I wish I recieved that letter..
So then 10w30.. does that mess up electronics too? Whats advised for proper blinker fluid? :confused:

;)

hmnm, thought this place was about sharing. :dontknow: "top secret" is translated HORSE HOCKY" here in Texas. :chain:
False. Lots of builders/customers prefer not to discuss the details of their projects, even in Texas. I can dig up threads on this very forum substantiating this.

That explains why the 4wd on mine doesn't work then... :mad: Damn, I wish I recieved that letter.. So then 10w30.. does that mess up electronics too? Whats advised for proper blinker fluid? :confused: ;)
I'll send you copy of the letter. What is your bank account routing number so I know where to send it? Bro, you need to check the voltage output on the flux capacitor before determining what weight and brand of blinker fluid oil to use. And YES, the wrong oil will absolutely turn a "serious problem" dash light on. :D

False. Lots of builders/customers prefer not to discuss the details of their projects, even in Texas. I can dig up threads on this very forum substantiating this.

Ecclesiastes 1:9"----ain't nothing new under the sun." Ha, ha, just when we think we are the first at something we find many others doing the same or often more/better. Many times in sanctioned motor sports the guys with the "secret" wind up disqualifies. Blending oil is nothing new, I used to blend gun powder before they came out with the proper burning rate for my application. But---the only time my front tires come off the ground is changing oil so who knows. :dontknow:

Exactly....

From what I understand 0w40 wasn't widely available until the '05 model year. At least according to the internet

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back