New Guy Questions

Fang

Reaction score
Hi This is m first posting. I would like some more power but don't really care about blowers. I've been reading about Strikers and might go that route. What are my options?

Oh, I have a 2005 Reg Cab that is (so far) completely stock. Thanks!

Oh, I also have a leaky power steering line but the dealer said the hose I need isn't available anymore!!!

Greg

JTSVP or your local hose shop can get you a new hose.
Lil more compression, nice heads or headwork, and complimenting camshaft and related valve train make for a nice NA setup.

Greg, welcome to the VTCoA. All of our power steering lines leak. JTSVP (a supporting vendor here) has replacement lines that are far surperior to the stock lines.

A good H/C (head and cam) build will net close to 600rwhp. Results will vary depending on the cam and heads you use.

Last edited:
A Striker Cam and Head set up is worth considering, I am very pleased. Contact rottenronnie via pm, he will give you his honest opinion. Ronnie has been specializing in NA high performance builds, since the early '70's.:rock::rock:

He will explain the difference between a torque cam and a peaky HP cam.....with our trucks you want torque!:burnout::burnout:

It should also be pointed out that big flow numbers do not necessarily equal big power numbers, from the heads. JM designed the Striker heads after he had taken the porting of stock heads as far as he could go. :)

Hi This is m first posting. I would like some more power but don't really care about blowers. I've been reading about Strikers and might go that route. What are my options?

Give Tony at JTSVP.com a shout.....check out the web site....he has a true passion for our trucks and it shows.....and ALWAYS compare pricing once you decide the route you want to go....Tony has ALWAYS been lower in price than the next guy for the EXACT same items....well worth checking out his site..............and follow the builds that are now in progress...........best of luck................

Oh, I have a 2005 Reg Cab that is (so far) completely stock. Thanks!

Oh, I also have a leaky power steering line but the dealer said the hose I need isn't available anymore!!!

Greg

Hi Greg, and welcome.

I'm not sure how long you've had your truck but if your experience was like mine the first time driving it, I KNEW I needed more power than it had from stock, to make it way more fun to own.

As cylinder heads are where the power is actually produced in an engine. I decided to look at options there first, with my own truck. At that time, the Gen IV engine wasn't out and the Gen IV head conversion option wasn't (of course), available. This option surfaced about a year ago, but it's been pretty quiet...

A man by the name of Jeff Morys designed the cylinder heads for the Viper engines. Jeff works in the airflow research division for Dodge and has access to millions of dollars worth of some of the best equipment on the planet. As the Viper engines became more powerful, they peaked (at that time) with the Gen III cylinder head/engine, which was a factory-ported Gen II cylinder head.

As there is more power to be found in almost any factory head, Jeff came up with a a C.N.C. program for the Gen III head to get even more power out of them. I have seen people have pretty good success going this lower-cost route and it makes for a pretty good increase in power when going with this option.

There is however only .200" wall to work with in the Gen III head and once Jeff found the Gen III head to be maxed out, he designed the STRIKER cylinder head which blew past the limitations of the ported C.N.C. Gen III heads and provided a new benchmark for cylinder heads for the Gen III engines.

The Striker is NOT a modified o.e.m. head but a clean-sheet, newly design performance head and the ONLY aftermarket head of it's kind for our engines.
With an appropriate camshaft, you will gain a SUBSTANTIAL amount of power (Torque AND Horsepower) with a set of Strikers and camshaft. They have much straighter Intake Ports, thick decks, a fast-burn combustion chamber and superior cooling passages. All of the things that you CAN'T duplicate using the o.e.m. heads as a base !

PLEASE keep in mind that increasing flow numbers (as Oldcolt mentioned) DOES NOT guarantee an increase in power, as many people think, There is "good" flow and there is "poor" flow. So, if you read that Head A had 25 more c.f.m. than Head B, DO NOT assume that Head A is going to make more power!

It is hard to dispute the results that Strikers provide. And keep in mind, they were designed by the same man that designed the original Viper heads. If he saw limitations in the stock heads and thought a brand new head (Strikers) should be designed, THAT should be telling you something !!

Welcome to the forum and enjoy your time here.

Ronnie

Last edited:
We should mention Greg Good for ported OEM heads also. There was a thread earlier this week on ROE ported heads, so there is lots of choice when you go NA. Stinker has been hinting about his own ported heads for the last couple of years. He puts a lot of effort into his products and we as SRT10 owner's are sure happy that he and others like JMB Justin and ronnie still support these trucks. :rock::rock:

I almost forgot the Gen 4 conversion. If you go with the MOPAR kit, you need a cam.....your stock cam will not produce power. You also need different headers, so you have to factor in that cost. There is a shop in Ontario that does Viper engine work also....I can't remember the name (damn middle age), There is also Exotic Engine Developement in Reno.

I almost forgot the Gen 4 conversion.
Expensive option for little proven gain. The conversion does have a wow factor when the hood is up, but that's some expensive bling.

We should mention Greg Good for ported OEM heads
Mr Good's head are certainly worth mentioning.

It is hard to dispute the results that Strikers provide.
This x1000. The Strikers absolutely outperform all the other head options (IMO). Plus, having Ronnie spec a cam ensures that you end up with all the torque necessary to move our 5000 pound hot rods.

Welcome to the VTCOA! I am interested in which route you choose, my end goal is 600rwhp N/A and I like seeing what other people have accomplished. Good luck!

I would start with an SCT and a tune (On a dyno). That will free up some power in various power bands. That will give you some more power till you pull the trigger on some new/ported heads. I would also think about upgrading the clutch before changing the heads.

I will say the most critical piece of any upgrade is the tune. It will make or break your engine.

Ok great and thanks again for all the information. I have a few days now to decide which is the best way to go.
I appreciate everyone taking the time to post up. I will research what I've learned so far.

Greg

Last edited:
Ok great and thanks again for all the information. I have a few days now to decide which is the best way to go.
I appreciate everyone taking the time to post up. I will research what I've learned so far.

Greg

As FlyingLow mentioned, a good tune is VERY important. There are a couple of individuals that have been tuning Viper engines and have had good success with them. Chris Jensen is one and Torrie at Unleashed Tuning is another. You can purchase an SCT controller from either of them; these can be loaded up with a few tunes and you can install them yourself through the OBDII port. If you can, get to a dyno that has the ability to log your A/F data. Shops that have the sensor installed in place of your vehicle's o2 sensor are more accurate than using a sniffer-type in the tailpipe.
Typically, in the higher r.p.m. ranges at wide open throttle, the A/F (Air-Fuel) goes rich as a measure to prevent detonation as rich mixtures burn cooler than lean ones.
With that information, your tuner can provide you with a tune that will work just fine. I ran an email tune for years with zero issues. They aren't perfect but a good tuner will get them close.
Don't expect big gains (like with diesels) because you aren't playing with boost pressure increases (of course), just ignition timing and some trimming of the fuel tables. Nevertheless, it is worthwhile doing !

Ragged edge tunes can be dangerous. The reason one tuner may get more power than another tuner on a given engine is because they are pushing further into the danger zone. The 2 guys I mentioned are wise enough not to do that and wouldn't be building a great tuner rep by sending a customers engine into detonation and wrecking it...

Ronnie

Last edited:

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back