New Noise

wildwill

Reaction score
My truck has been making a strange noise when I first start it. I think it might be the slave cylinder but I'm not sure. When I start it after it has been setting, I put it reverse to ease out of the garage let it start rolling push the clutch back in I hear a growling sound. The sound goes away after a few minutes.
Is there something I can check or look at to be sure this is the problem? The clutch fluid is full and I don't have any problem changing gears.
The truck has 11,600 miles on it, and I do have to slip the clutch a little to get into the garage do to a sloping driveway.

Thanks
Will

I use Wix filters,and 0 - 40 mobile 1 oil I have been since new. This noise just started about a month ago.

Backing up my driveway and into the garage is not an option, my front bumper hits the street when I do that. It would also make getting out of the a real pain, I'm too big to get out the drivers side with the door next to the wall and too old to climb over the shifter.

Last edited:
could be the clutches in the rear axle from sitting , could be the power steering pump, could be rust on the rotors also, jsut no telling;)

I used to hear a moaning sound when I started her up in the morning. No one was able to tell me what the problem was. I knew it wasn't a Viper motor thing because my 1997 Dodge 4x4 with a little 318 motor did it too.. I found that it was the oil filter I was using.. (of COURSE!! It was happening after I started doing my own oil changes). I would use expensive filters and the noise would be there. I began using only Mopar filters and the noise never returned. I have a whole cabinet full of Mopar filters now.

The reason I use Wix is that they make alot of oem filters. I have never used a mopar filter in the almost 3 years I have owned the truck. I bought the truck new and I have done all the oil changes myself. This noise just started.

I can hear the growling sound when I am slowly moving or stoped. Is it possible to check the slave cylinder with out pulling the transmission ? I can hear the noise very well in the cab, It seams to be coming from shifter area. The sound is more noticeable with the clutch pedal in.

wildwill said:
The reason I use Wix is that they make alot of oem filters. I have never used a mopar filter in the almost 3 years I have owned the truck. I bought the truck new and I have done all the oil changes myself. This noise just started.

I can hear the growling sound when I am slowly moving or stoped. Is it possible to check the slave cylinder with out pulling the transmission ? I can hear the noise very well in the cab, It seams to be coming from shifter area. The sound is more noticeable with the clutch pedal in.

Throwout bearing?

If it's the throwout bearing, I would think about upgrading the clutch too while I'm at it..

That is what I was thinking, I know that the throwout bearing and slave cylinder are conected together. I just wanted to make sure before I spent the money on new parts.

I used a mobile one oil filter once and I had a weird moaning sound like you descirbed. I went back mopar and problem was solved.

I will probably call Justin in the morning. I'm not pulling the trans out without replacing the junk that Dodge thought would work.

Thanks for confirming my suspiscions.

Will

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back