New owner needs wheel and shock help

yamahauler16

Reaction score
Hi guys, first of all i love the site, I just bought an 05 qc srt-10, I really love it. I bought it as a driver, I am permenetely handicapped. I plan on lowering the truck 4-6 so that I can get in and out easily. I also want to change the wheels. I really like 22s but I need this thing in the dirt so I am looking for a 20 inch wheel. Can someone point me in the direction for a billet forged 20 inch wheel with the right specs for our trucks? I would really appreciate it. ( IM not sure if a 20 will fit but...) Also is there anyone who makes adjustable shocks out there?. Lastly who makes the best 4-6 kit out there? I need to get this stuff ordered so I can start driving this thing, any help is greatly appreciated. THanks

Here, it doesn't matter if your permanatly handicapped at all, most of these guys are permanatly retarded!;) :D I'm almost positive the most you can drop a QC is the 2-4 drop...and I'm also pretty sure that the 20 inch hemi wheel will fit too....kinda gives you the sleeper look too!

O ya, Boomer at X-metal will hook you up with the lowering/handeling kit, best one on the market for sure!!

Welcome bro, you can actually fit wheels as small as 18" on your truck without any modifications, but due to suspension geometry reasons, anything more than a 2-4 drop is not recommended. Remember, you don't have a 150 horsepower S-10, this is a 5000+ pound truck that is designed with handling in mind, and 500 horsepower to back it up. I love the look of a slammed truck as much as the next guy (probably more), but I wouldn't do it with this truck unless you want to go with a full-on custom four-link rear and new front tubular control arms that account for different spring geometry. That's all custom stuff, as you will find, in many areas, the choices with these trucks are very limited when it comes to suspension. Look up Boomer, he is a sponsor on this site, I have his front springs and blocks and you will find almost everyone here unanimously recommending his stuff...www.x-metal.com.

Greg

Welcome to the forum......

As much as I hate to contradict brother Greg's statement .. I'm afraid I must....

fun2xlr8 said:
this is a 5000+ pound truck that is designed with handling in mind, and 500 horsepower to back it up. Greg

Some of the guys on the forum have stated that BOOMERS kit made their truck handle like a sports car...... I LOVE BOOMERS KIT....It is the best thing of it's kind we've seen.... I have one and it makes a big difference in handling....

But to say that this truck was "designed with handling in mind" is not correct....

These trucks handle like a buckboard tumbling over boulders on a 6% grade. They handle like shit especially around bumpy corners at speed...... Even poorly maintained freeways can get dicey at 75mph +.....

They have too much unsprung weight... This is not debated by anyone with even the most elementary technical knowledge..... (like me).... I've owned and driven a decent sports car for about 11 years..... The SRT-10 ain't it....

I have heard of spindle kits for these trucks but never actually seen one.... IMO that may be the only econmical way to do a 4/6 drop..... You may need to take it to a drop shop and ask them to wave the magic wand.....

Good luck and again welcome to the asylum.....:burnout:

SD

I like the idea of those 20"s on Ebay....let us know if you get them....and post soem pics....:D

Blasphemy doesn't make it any less true....these trucks do handle real poorly so...drop it and just cruise it....if you go fast.....do it in a straight line.....:D

Welcome Yamahauler!!:D

I'm curious if a 4 inch drop will allow you to navigate driveways ok - that valance hangs down pretty low in the front :dontknow:

Welcome aboard!!!..... oh, and what they said^^^^^^^^^^

Silent D said:
Welcome to the forum......

As much as I hate to contradict brother Greg's statement .. I'm afraid I must....

Some of the guys on the forum have stated that BOOMERS kit made their truck handle like a sports car...... I LOVE BOOMERS KIT....It is the best thing of it's kind we've seen.... I have one and it makes a big difference in handling....

But to say that this truck was "designed with handling in mind" is not correct....

These trucks handle like a buckboard tumbling over boulders on a 6% grade. They handle like shit especially around bumpy corners at speed...... Even poorly maintained freeways can get dicey at 75mph +.....

They have too much unsprung weight... This is not debated by anyone with even the most elementary technical knowledge..... (like me).... I've owned and driven a decent sports car for about 11 years..... The SRT-10 ain't it....

I have heard of spindle kits for these trucks but never actually seen one.... IMO that may be the only econmical way to do a 4/6 drop..... You may need to take it to a drop shop and ask them to wave the magic wand.....

Good luck and again welcome to the asylum.....:burnout:

SD

Yep, they handle well for a truck, but they are still a truck. Take a look at the axles on a covered wagon and then at the rearend of our trucks. Looks about the same to me.:eek: :p :D

Welcome, I think Boomer has a QC kit that lowers the back end 4", but the front is only 2-3". Ask Gary to be certain.

Bill.

Is there just a softer shock option for a stock QC? Is going with better riding shocks not a good move?

I know Boomer's lowering kit is sweet but I need to save a little money to start out with.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back