New to the track. Launching

BADBLACKSRT10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have not been to the track yet but I plan on going soon. Indy Raceway Park has open nights on Fridays.
Got a question.....I have a 05 RC standard trans. What is the best way to launch? I know if I mash the gas and dump the clutch it is not gonna hook up. Is it best to hit the gas and release the clutch at the same time? Is there another way? I dont have slicks or racing tires. I hate to sound like a dumb a-- but I would rather ask beforehand than to get out there and really make my truck, and me, look bad. I am open for suggestions.

rev the truck to about 3500rpms when you're at the lights...

don't fully let off the clutch just start letting it off and feed in the gas...

basically you don't want the truck to bog, so you keep feeding the gas and releasing the clutch but keep your revs up...

it's kinda hard to explain and practice and experience is the only way to "feel" what exactly i'm talking about...

if you dump the clutch at all, you're gonna spin...

I tried just dropping the clutch at 3500 rpms with drag radials and I still spun hard and got a 2.2 60 ft. Got a 13.50 though :) stock

I would suggest, 17# air in the back tires , max the front. Find the best rpm that only spins the tires 2-3 turns . Don't feather the clutch to much or you will be burning it up! Let the tires spin. Try 3000 rpm clutch dump and maintain no bog by squeezing the throttle . It will take alot of practice!

if you slowly let out the clutch and feed the gas as stated above your clutch will last about 1/10th of its real life span,,, this is not the way to go if you want to keep driving with out a 1k repair every 6 months.. it may be the best on a stock clutch to get the best time but not the best for your truck etc....
Best way to launch and keep your truck alive with a full life on the clutch..

Depending on hp and conditions.. I would try just 2500 rpm dump the clutch and go.. or just drive off the line but punch it.. you would be suprised at how good the 60 foot is when your not spinning like a maniac who dumped the clutch at 5k.. lol... try a few taticts different on each run... I found the lower rpm launches with as little as possible tire spin gave the best results stock... think my stock was a 13.3 at 107 ... If i slipped the clutch and that i could have gotten it down to maybe a 12.9 but my clutch also lasted over 25000 miles...

Ok what do I know... Only 95k miles on the first clutch...

He asked how to go fast... Clutch dumping is not fast... Nor is it good for your drivetrain...

yaya we know that will make ya go fast, but its not healthy for the clutch, just watching out for ppl who think they can do that and have no ill effects..

oh and i never burned out my clutch at 25k,, I ripped it totally apart lol after the motor was redone... like totally ripped the material right off the disk lol.

You can launch alittle harder with drag radials! Half throttle launch and let the truck catch up to the tires then squeeze the throttle to the floor! Leave the petal on the floor between shifts. 2nd is easy but third Can be intimidating! Lift if you miss the shift! There is a rev limiter. It is heart pounding FUN! When ya nail the shifts!!!

Jerry and Jack and Justin are all on full slicks... That's a whole different experience...

I can tell you my best 60' on street tires is 1.91 and my best 60' on DR's is 1.88 (but I need new ones)... How's that for weirdness, lol

I noticed the same thing but only due to learning to launch with drag radials. You can hit the tires harder ! I found they bog the engine unless you hit them hard! Get them to spin a couple of turns ! And, of course , lose as much weight as possible! Probably your best launch advice!

I have been known to leave at 5500 rpm on a 200 shot of nitrous. Damn it is fun!!!

Course it does tear up a lotta ****...

Damn!! THE KING! of Launching:rock::rock::rock::burnout::burnout::burnout:

Roll into the throttle with a quick release of the clutch. And do it from idle.

If it hooks the raise the Rpm's by 500, continue until you spin and the drop rpm's. By 100 until best launch is achieved. There is no way of knowing withou practice. And the street and strip are completely different.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back