NHRA Rules

V10ToGo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thinking of drag racing at the strip tonight, but don't have a helmet and may (hope to) run in the 13s. Comments?

FYI - Here are the NHRA rules, which apply at Texas Motorplex:
License
Virtually anyone can compete in drag racing. Drivers are required to have Valid State Drivers License and must be capable of the safe operation of their vehicle. Vehicles running a 9.99 ET require an NHRA Competion License

Auto Trans Reverse Lockout
Any non-OME automatic floor-mounted transmission shifter must be equipped with a spring-loaded positive reverse lockout device to prevent the shifter from accidentally being put in reverse gear.

Roll Bars
Unless otherwise required by your class: Roll Bars required on convertibles running quicker than 11.00 - 13.99. Roll Bars required on all cars running quicker than 11.00 - 11.99.

Roll Cages
Roll Cages required on convertibles running 10.99 or faster than 135mph. Roll Cages required on all cars running 10.99 or faster than 135mph. - One exception: full bodied cars running between 10.00 and 10.99, with unaltered firewalls, floor and body (from firewall rearward - wheel tubes permitted) can compete with just a roll bar.Faster than a 9.99 you need a chassis sticker and have the car reinserted every 3 years.

Helmets
Drivers of all 13.99 or quicker cars, and co-drivers in 14.00 to 14.99 second cars, must wear a helmet meeting Snell 95 or Newer, or SFI 31.1,31.2 specs.

Nitrous Oxide
The use of any agents other than NOS as part of, or mixed with, this pressurized fuel system is strictly prohibited. All bottles must be securely mounted, stamped with minimum DOT 1800 pound rating, and identified as nitrous oxide. Nitrous oxide bottle(s) located in the driver compartment must be equipped with a relief valve and vented outside the compartment. System must be commercially available, and installed as per manufacture's recommendations. Commercially available thermostatically controlled blanket-type warmer accepted. Any other external heating of bottle(s) prohibited.

Liquid Overflow
All cars must have a recovery system or catch can for the car's radiator.

Drive-shaft loop
If you have slicks, you must have a drive-shaft loop. If your car runs 13.99 or quicker, you will need a drive shaft loop, even if you are running street tires.

Battery Relocation
If the battery is not in the stock location, and relocated to the trunk for example, you must have an external cut-off switch on the back of the car which cuts off the electrical system and must also stop the car from running.

Seat Belts
All cars running 14.00 sec and slower must be equipped with an accepted quick release type driver seat belt. All cars in competition requiring a roll bar or roll cage, or as outlined by Class Requirements, require a Driver Restraint System as outlined below.

Driver Restraint Systems
A quick-release, 3-inch shoulder harness meeting SFI Spec 16.1, including crotch strap, is mandatory in all cars in competition required by the rules to have a roll bar or a roll cage. Driver restraint system must be clearly labeled as meeting SFI Spec 16.1 and be dated by manufacturer. System must be updated at two-year intervals from date of manufacture. All seat belt and shoulder harness installations must be mutually compatible, originally designed to be used with each other, and produced by the same manufacturer. Cars using OEM or OEM type seat may route crotch strap in front of seat instead of through seat. Only those units that release all five attachment points in one motion are permitted. When arm restraints are worn with a restraint system that utilizes a "latch lever", a protective cover must be installed to prevent arm restraint from accidentally releasing the latch lever. Protective cover not needed if system uses "duckbill" latch hardware. All harness sections must be mounted to the frame, crossmember, or reinforced mounting, and installed to limit driver's body travel both upward and forward. Seat belts may not be wrapped around lower frame rails. Under no circumstances are bolts inserted through belt webbing permitted for mounting. Check manufacturers instructions.

Wheels & Tires
All wheels must have ALL lug nuts in place and securely fastened. All street tires must have minimum 1/16 inch tread depth.

I would PM FSTJACK and ask his view, he works on, and is part of a top fuel funny car team, and if anyone would know he definitly would.

If your truck is stock you do not need a helmet and if you're not stock just tell them you expect to run mid 14's. If you're not stock just make sure you go really easy on the 1st pass and don't go under 14, then towards the end of the day make your full runs and then get kicked out.:D Then go buy a helmet for next time.

mauiSRT/10 said:
My first time to the track they let me borrow a helmet.

Have fun, good luck!

patrick
Thanks, guys - this track doesn't have loaner helmets. I prefer to be legal and not go through the "wondering if I'll get kicked out" stage. :p

Just take a helmet with the appropriate Snell rating with you, as you do not want to be at a track and having to pussy foot it. I thought that 11.49 and quicker required a cage? I got warned in my Cuda as I ran an 11.68@116mph up here at 6800 ft, at that time the cut off for cages was 11.99 and quicker.

Mabe the cage requirement is something specific at that track. Unless they have changed it again.. :dontknow:

Get Bit said:
Just take a helmet with the appropriate Snell rating with you, as you do not want to be at a track and having to pussy foot it. I thought that 11.49 and quicker required a cage? I got warned in my Cuda as I ran an 11.68@116mph up here at 6800 ft, at that time the cut off for cages was 11.99 and quicker.

Mabe the cage requirement is something specific at that track. Unless they have changed it again.. :dontknow:

the rules posted are outdated....11.49 or faster for a cage is the new rule...

Nowwhat said:
the rules posted are outdated....11.49 or faster for a cage is the new rule...
I copied those from LACR's site. I guess they need to update.

trust me dont take too much from Lacr's website too much to heart. my favorite was last year when one sign said "NO PETS" and another said "PETS MUST BE ON LEASH"

what i need to know is do what type of roll bar do us ext cab guys need for 11.00to-11.99

Those rules are a hybrid of NHRA and LACR.

Most tracks, parking lot street drag strips ect require a Snell 2000 or better rated helmet. Mike is correct about the 11.49 cut off. They changed the rule for 06 and Mike brought it to my attention.

Please remember that these are the minimum requirements.

My 69 Chevelle will be certified to 6.50 even though I am only running on an 8.60 index.

I want the added safety that will comes with the 6.50 certification.

Some are probably thinking "nothing will happen", but it can and people get hurt and killed at tracks weekly. The safety requiremants and safety record that has been put together are for our well being.

You can't be too safe ! ! !

FSTJACK said:
Those rules are a hybrid of NHRA and LACR.

Most tracks, parking lot street drag strips ect require a Snell 2000 or better rated helmet. Mike is correct about the 11.49 cut off. They changed the rule for 06 and Mike brought it to my attention.

Please remember that these are the minimum requirements.

My 69 Chevelle will be certified to 6.50 even though I am only running on an 8.60 index.

I want the added safety that will comes with the 6.50 certification.
You can't be too safe ! ! !
Is there a car condom in your future :D :dontknow:

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back