NOS

Tooloe said:
have you ever ran the 1/4 jack?
The best 1/4 I have ran so far is a 12.23 but that is with a terrible 60'. I believe the truck will do 11.70's easy on a decent pass.

At the risk of having people much more experienced than I concerning these trucks ridicule me, I will throw this out. I am in the process of gathering up cash for a power adder myself. That being said I looked on this forum at all of them. Weighed the cost to benefit aspect. Looked at the thread Stinker started on what mods you did, how much they cost, what HP/TRQ #'s, and track times. Finally, but most important of all, one look at Justin's NOS powered stock truck at 11.3 on the track for about $5000 (headers, traction upgrade, NOS acces, VEC III, Drag Radials) is a pretty "in your face" fact that NOS is a great option on these trucks. Look at that thread I mentioned before started by Stinker. Guys spending $10K on a forged engine, another 6K-10K on a SC or turbo, and running low 12s maybe crack into the high 11s if they do some traction work. Here Justin is crushing all of them at 11.3 with minimal mods. That says something about nitrous. I get to thinking how I would feel if I dropped $20K in a sweet forged motor with a SC setup only to have a skilled driver with nitrous and minimal mods destroy me at the track. I gotta tell you I wouldn't like it. One of you guys commented earlier on this thread about how a lot of the top 25 fastest times come from nitrous run motors. I'm no genius but that speaks volumes. Yes, guys blow their motors on nitrous. I'm sure they do on SC and turbos, especially with poor tunes. However, unless you know specifically the guy's nitrous setup, it is very easy to blame the nitrous but it could be a lack of attention to fail-safes. Did they have correct spark plugs, guages, window switches, etc... If not then the BOOM could be due to things that could have prevented it with a few more dollars invested into fail-safes. Now with progressive controllers (my personal favorite) you can soften the impact of the shot by introducing nitrous into the engine in a custom controlled "ramp" rather than a 150 shot instant hit. The progressive contoller can be set to shut down the system when the A/F gets out of whack, bottle press. drops, a whole host of criteria to keep your motor safer than just running nitrous without as many fail-safes. My point, some guys have made blanket statments that nitrous = BOOM. Unless they can specifically show me that the nitrous setup included a lot of the high end fail-safes mentioned above and a good tune (Justin's opinion as well), I think it a little misguided to conclude nitrous = BOOM. For as many bad stories (again who knows their nitrous setup) I suspect there are a lot of positive stories with nitrous on our trucks. In any event, this was my thought process based off of threads and posts written by our members. I concede that a lot of people here have infinite more experience than I but wanted to throw out my opinion for nitrous as the best power adder (unless you have a huge budget) WHEN done correctly with as many fail-safes as financial possible. When you're trying to get a 5000+ lb tank down the track torque is what you need. Just take a look at Justin's torque numbers compared to his HP. I see Paxtons and Roe's deliver say 650HP with 650trq. You don't see that with nitrous it seems. You see 640HP and 780TRQ as per Justin's truck. I fully intend to set my truck up on nitrous as my power adder and use a 150 shot like you want to do. But, I intend to do it correctly and spend the extra money to get a progressive controller that has a lot of fail-safe options so I can be as safe as possible.
Now that I have made my speech, watch me go BOOM!!!:D

these motors love NOS, and yes it gets them alot of trq. most guys pick up 250rwtq on a 200 shot

Viper Beau ill follow up your post with, nitrous doesn't blow motors idiots blow motors.

I am new hear but I have a lot of nitrous experience and motor failure from nitrous use is caused mainly by the user or faulty parts. I ran a 100 shot through my 89 crx more then 30 times and never blew the motor, I did however lift the head off the block.

Viper Beau said:
At the risk of having people much more experienced than I concerning these trucks ridicule me, I will throw this out. I am in the process of gathering up cash for a power adder myself. That being said I looked on this forum at all of them. Weighed the cost to benefit aspect. Looked at the thread Stinker started on what mods you did, how much they cost, what HP/TRQ #'s, and track times. Finally, but most important of all, one look at Justin's NOS powered stock truck at 11.3 on the track for about $5000 (headers, traction upgrade, NOS acces, VEC III, Drag Radials) is a pretty "in your face" fact that NOS is a great option on these trucks. Look at that thread I mentioned before started by Stinker. Guys spending $10K on a forged engine, another 6K-10K on a SC or turbo, and running low 12s maybe crack into the high 11s if they do some traction work. Here Justin is crushing all of them at 11.3 with minimal mods. That says something about nitrous. I get to thinking how I would feel if I dropped $20K in a sweet forged motor with a SC setup only to have a skilled driver with nitrous and minimal mods destroy me at the track. I gotta tell you I wouldn't like it. One of you guys commented earlier on this thread about how a lot of the top 25 fastest times come from nitrous run motors. I'm no genius but that speaks volumes. Yes, guys blow their motors on nitrous. I'm sure they do on SC and turbos, especially with poor tunes. However, unless you know specifically the guy's nitrous setup, it is very easy to blame the nitrous but it could be a lack of attention to fail-safes. Did they have correct spark plugs, guages, window switches, etc... If not then the BOOM could be due to things that could have prevented it with a few more dollars invested into fail-safes. Now with progressive controllers (my personal favorite) you can soften the impact of the shot by introducing nitrous into the engine in a custom controlled "ramp" rather than a 150 shot instant hit. The progressive contoller can be set to shut down the system when the A/F gets out of whack, bottle press. drops, a whole host of criteria to keep your motor safer than just running nitrous without as many fail-safes. My point, some guys have made blanket statments that nitrous = BOOM. Unless they can specifically show me that the nitrous setup included a lot of the high end fail-safes mentioned above and a good tune (Justin's opinion as well), I think it a little misguided to conclude nitrous = BOOM. For as many bad stories (again who knows their nitrous setup) I suspect there are a lot of positive stories with nitrous on our trucks. In any event, this was my thought process based off of threads and posts written by our members. I concede that a lot of people here have infinite more experience than I but wanted to throw out my opinion for nitrous as the best power adder (unless you have a huge budget) WHEN done correctly with as many fail-safes as financial possible. When you're trying to get a 5000+ lb tank down the track torque is what you need. Just take a look at Justin's torque numbers compared to his HP. I see Paxtons and Roe's deliver say 650HP with 650trq. You don't see that with nitrous it seems. You see 640HP and 780TRQ as per Justin's truck. I fully intend to set my truck up on nitrous as my power adder and use a 150 shot like you want to do. But, I intend to do it correctly and spend the extra money to get a progressive controller that has a lot of fail-safe options so I can be as safe as possible.
Now that I have made my speech, watch me go BOOM!!!:D

Since the beginning.......

welcomed to hotrodding.......see ya at the track:D :D :D :D
Watching you go BOOM will be painful and exilerating at the same time. Spend some time in the Pits and you'll understand me better..Love Ron
Oh, by the way......timeslips talk, bullshit walks...jeez, just couldn't resist....late at night, have to go now.

Last edited:
Justin also is amazing at the track, i am sure the average driver would get a high 11 with his truck.
I personally would never use NOS, who wants to go and refill a bottle every other day? thats why i would just go with a different F/I.

BurntRubber said:
Justin also is amazing at the track, i am sure the average driver would get a high 11 with his truck.
I personally would never use NOS, who wants to go and refill a bottle every other day? thats why i would just go with a different F/I.
$$$$$$$$$$$$ is why...

500snakz said:
$$$$$$$$$$$$ is why...

i was more joking saying i would be filling up a NOS bottle every other day!:D
just easier to have it on constantly:rock:

I have two bottles so I dont have to fill as often. 150 shot,stock inards.

What type and brand kits do you guys have installed?

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back