Not to beat a dead horse...but I really wish we could get a firm answer on this....

Skyydiver

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Okay, so I have gone back and read pages and pages of posts on the Manual Transmission and the fluid that "should" be used.

This is very frustrating because I want to do the right thing, but my head is spinning after reading all those posts so I no longer know what the right thing is. Ha! :dontknow:

Long weekend coming up and I really want to spend some time with my baby so I figured this would be a good time to change out the tranny fluid. Mopar says you must use "Mopar Synthetic Manual Trans Lubricant 75W-85" to prevent voiding warranty. Robert...aka...MoparConnection has made a great suggestion in that "ADD 2 BOTTLES OF FRICTION MODIFIER FROM DODGE P/N4318060AB". This should alleviate most of the noise and smooth out the shifting characteristics of this tranny.

But, all research done and the multitude of phone calls to Tremec points to going with a high grade ATF such as Redline D4 or Mobile 1 ATF. Tremec boldly states that standard gear oil will ultimately lead to the demise of these trannies. In fact, my 99' Camaro (yes...I was once a chevy man until Dodge showed me the way :elefant: ) with the T-56 tranny, ATF was used and was required by GM.

So what is the deal? I don't want to void my warranty because God knows I can not afford the repair bill, but at the same time, I want to do what is best for the longevity of the transmission...

Frustrating! Very damn frustrating!

Oh well....

I went through the same thing a few weeks ago! It was a hard choice to make but since my truck is covered until 2015 (i bought the longest ext. warranty Dodge offered, which doesnt go into effect until the standard one expires) i put in what the dealer told me to. I walked out of the dealer with 4qts of the 75-85 synthetic atf and a bottle of friction modifier. After changing the fluid out i did notice an improvement in shifting, plus i can sleep at night knowing my powertrain warranty is still there to protect me.:D I'm lucky, i have a dealer that understands this vehicle and is up front with me on everything...and the head tech is a big fan of SRT's and has assured me that all my bolt on parts will NOT void may warranty. He told me off the record, or so he says, that anything besides a blower and/or NOS is ok and wont void it. :)

Tremec says ATF or Synchromesh
In the T56 the new Shelby GT500 is says right on the side "Dextron III or equivalent"

I am not sure what dodge was thinking when they slapped the sticker on, but I have used the Mobil ATF and the Syncromesh for 3 years now, and continue using it in the GTS also.

Ultimately it is your decision, and we cannot persuade you either way once you set on a decision...just do your homework and choose wisely.

-Red

I would use the Mobil 1 ( I have been using it with no problems) or the Redline.In the extremely rare chance that a transmission issue would come up,just put the Mopar crap back in before going to a dealer.It is far less likely that you will even have an issue if you upgrade to Mobil 1 , though. Not to mention far better shifting !!!

Holy Smokes! I just called Dodge and they want $25/qt for the gear oil! Jesus! I asked the guy if there was gold in those bottles!!! Yikes!!!!!!!!!!

No wonder everyone is going with ATF!!!!!

For $25/quart, I am going to drink the stuff myself!

Cheers-

Yup, i shoulda stated that in my post before! I needed a beer (or 6) after leaving the dealer! :toilet: At least the friction modifier was cheap at 7 bucks or so...

I used Royal Purples Synchromax, which satisfies the Dextron III spec and Tremec's recommendation. It definitely smoothed things out when shifting, but the trans has a little more noise. I would go with either the factory Castrol Syntorque or with the Tremec recommendation of a Dextron III ATF equivalent. Stay away from the gear lube.

I am sure everyone's advice has helped in your decision making :laugh:

Good Luck
-Muzzy

I thought the factory Syntorque is a gear oil? It is listed in the Mopar parts database as Mopar Synthetic Manual Trans Lubricant 75w-85...isn't that a gear oil???

Thanks for all the input guys...I do appreciate it. :D

-Joe

Life is a series of trade offs...

If the top priority is warranty protection use the recommended lub...go ahead and use the additive too.

If performance is your top priority go with the ATF or Royal Purple (the only ones I have experience with).

Its your choice...what is driving your train?

I switched to ATF the minute I knew that the builder recommended it and was willing to do warranty work out of my pocket...the same decision I made when I added a SC to the drive train.

just put in mobil 1 synthetic atf........ no noise & seems slightly better on shifting....... if i were undecided, i'd go with what the manufacturer of the transmission says..........:D

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back