Obama's Economic Stimulus Plan Explained

supercar1of1 said:

The thing people don't seem to understand is that if you gave everyone a million dollars tonight, tomorrow a loaf of bread would cost you about $9,000.00. For a free enterprise capitalist system to work everyone can't be equal.

i think i partly understand that...but can you get more specific...

viperhauler said:
i think i partly understand that...but can you get more specific...

This is probably an over simplification, but when you have a surplus of people with money, the value of that money goes down. An example would be Barrett Jackson where hudreds of millionaires show up and end up paying a fortune for some car that sold for $3,200.00 new.

Another example is, Say you made your living changing oil for 20.00 a car, but suddenly had a million $, I bet you would raise your fee if you even continued to work.

HDVIPER said:
Bob, it won't ever stop dude. These people are relentless! It's only been 2 weeks since this man has been in office, and already he's the worst of the worst to these people. Kinda sad, really. :mad:
What is sad is the short term memory that we all seem to have. Where were you when the forum laid every burden of the country at the feet of Former President Bush. Bush became the benefactor of policy set many years before, but HE WAS HELD RESPONSIBLE since he was president.

At least Obama knew he was getting a soup sandwich. And he still ran for Office. As a Republican, I can say I did/do not agree with the policies President Obama ran on. As an American, I hope he is the best president our country has ever had. And I will do my part to support him as best I can.

OCBob said:
I don't understand why this is being called the Obama plan, isn't it the same as last year's Bush plan? Of course, I don't remember anybody bitching about it then.

I know right!!!!!

I had a guy come in my store this morning and complain about Malbaro's going up. He says to me " Its that damn Presidents fault". Well usually I just say uhhuh or something so they will leave but this time I spoke up and told him the President aint had shit to do with the cigerettes that WENT UP LAST MONTH!! He just looked at me like I had 3 heads and left. O'well, what can I do.

Greg Z said:
I know right!!!!!

I had a guy come in my store this morning and complain about Malbaro's going up. He says to me " Its that damn Presidents fault". Well usually I just say uhhuh or something so they will leave but this time I spoke up and told him the President aint had shit to do with the cigerettes that WENT UP LAST MONTH!! He just looked at me like I had 3 heads and left. O'well, what can I do.

See? :argh: That's EXACTLY why I didn't run for the presidency last year.. I was asked to run by Sean Hannity and Rush Limbaugh, but I was like.."naaaw.."

Venom Power said:
See? :argh: That's EXACTLY why I didn't run for the presidency last year.. I was asked to run by Sean Hannity and Rush Limbaugh, but I was like.."naaaw.."
you would've got my vote:rock: :rock: :rock: :rock:

Can I have a puppy??:D

OCBob said:
I don't understand why this is being called the Obama plan, isn't it the same as last year's Bush plan? Of course, I don't remember anybody bitching about it then.

Just one more thing, Bob.

It is being called the Obama Stimulus Plan by his own cabinet and party.:p

Whoever happens to be at the helm of this ship of fools really doesn't make much difference in the end. Each president has to deal with what they've been dealt. The baggage simply accumulates and, as stated above, is inherited by the next.

What matters is what is done today.

I am happy to see the pork being drug out into the daylight like never before. I can't imagine a better champion in the ranks of Congress like McCain at a time like this, either. Even so, I have this nagging feeling that the intention was to put tons of pork into it to begin with, counting on much Republican and public outcry, only to pare it back (leaving plenty to spare) to placate its detractors.

I, as many Americans are, am not convinced that the Government ever spends money as efficiently or appropriately as private industry. If more effort is not made to restore the fundamental machine of American industry, then no plan will succeed.

Investing in our own infrastructure is a great way to do this, IMHO. It's one of the things that I can really applaud in the proposed plan, and the platform that Obama ran on. One need only perform a cursory examination of our utility and transportation infrastructure to see just how close it is to catastrophic failure. If money is spent buying American materials and equipment, and putting Americans to work, it's a win-win.

The notion of using money to "rescue" portions of the economy I believe is nonsensical. Portions of the economy have failed because their business models and regulation have failed. Banks, automakers, etc., might well be allowed to collapse and be restarted anew, rather than flushing billions down the toilet to support what has already shown to be an inevitable failure.

Lastly, if we're really going to allow our government to throw around hundreds of billions of dollars, let's put it to work in areas of society that can really make a long-term difference. Take several billion of the hundreds proposed to bring our public education system back on a par with the rest of the world. I see and hear every weeknight from my wife how the constriction of money in education has allowed the system to fundamentally wither into a state of ineffectiveness. There is no way that this nation will succeed on a global level if our childrens' education is not brought back to the forefront of the needs of this country.

Take another chunk, and create (or support) health care designed for prevention of disease and unwanted pregnancy. I was surprised at the outcry about the STD prevention attached to the stimulus package. Although it doesn't fit the mold of economic stimulus, programs such as that can save vast amounts of money in a wildly overburdened health care system.

Anyway, we can laugh or bitch all we want. If we're not seriously looking for ways to improve things, we ought to just STFU.;)

Ram From Hell said:

Whoever happens to be at the helm of this ship of fools really doesn't make much difference in the end. Each president has to deal with what they've been dealt. The baggage simply accumulates and, as stated above, is inherited by the next.

I am happy to see the pork being drug out into the daylight like never before. I can't imagine a better champion in the ranks of Congress like McCain at a time like this, either. Even so, I have this nagging feeling that the intention was to put tons of pork into it to begin with, counting on much Republican and public outcry, only to pare it back (leaving plenty to spare) to placate its detractors.

I, as many Americans are, am not convinced that the Government ever spends money as efficiently or appropriately as private industry. If more effort is not made to restore the fundamental machine of American industry, then no plan will succeed.

Investing in our own infrastructure is a great way to do this, IMHO. It's one of the things that I can really applaud in the proposed plan, and the platform that Obama ran on. One need only perform a cursory examination of our utility and transportation infrastructure to see just how close it is to catastrophic failure. If money is spent buying American materials and equipment, and putting Americans to work, it's a win-win.

The notion of using money to "rescue" portions of the economy I believe is nonsensical. Portions of the economy have failed because their business models and regulation have failed. Banks, automakers, etc., might well be allowed to collapse and be restarted anew, rather than flushing billions down the toilet to support what has already shown to be an inevitable failure.

Lastly, if we're really going to allow our government to throw around hundreds of billions of dollars, let's put it to work in areas of society that can really make a long-term difference. Take several billion of the hundreds proposed to bring our public education system back on a par with the rest of the world. I see and hear every weeknight from my wife how the constriction of money in education has allowed the system to fundamentally wither into a state of ineffectiveness. There is no way that this nation will succeed on a global level if our childrens' education is not brought back to the forefront of the needs of this country.

Take another chunk, and create (or support) health care designed for prevention of disease and unwanted pregnancy. I was surprised at the outcry about the STD prevention attached to the stimulus package. Although it doesn't fit the mold of economic stimulus, programs such as that can save vast amounts of money in a wildly overburdened health care system.

Anyway, we can laugh or bitch all we want. If we're not seriously looking for ways to improve things, we ought to just STFU.;)
How does a agency like the us. gov. monitor the monies forwarded to bailout , banks , car companies, etc,etc?:dontknow: should there be a new faction of the IRS to watch the trail of $$$, to ensure the fiduciary commitments?:dontknow: why are the $$$ priorities so askew?:dontknow: as it pretains to ed and health care??:dontknow: GREED is killing this country!!!

Ram From Hell said:
Here's an explanation we can all understand:

"Sometime this year, taxpayers will receive an Economic Stimulus Payment. This is a very exciting new program that I will explain using the Q and A format:

"Q. What is an Economic Stimulus Payment?
"A. It is money that the federal government will send to taxpayers.

"Q. Where will the government get this money?
"A. From taxpayers.

A Letter From a Grandpa

Guess you heard that 68% of the youth vote went to Obama. My granddaughter called this morning to tell me she was one of them. I replied with this e-mail:
Dear Granddaughter,
The election of Obama comes down to this. Your grandmother and I, your mother, and other productive, wage-earning tax payers will have their taxes increased and that means less income left over. Less income means we will have to cut back on basic purchases, gifts and handouts. That includes firing the lady who cleans our house twice a month. She just lost her job. We can't afford her anymore.

What is the economic effect of Obama's election on you personally? Over the years, your grandmother and I have given you thousands of dollars in food, housing, cash, clothing, gifts, etc. By your vote, you have chosen another family over ours for help. So in the future, if you need assistance with your rent, money for gas, tires for your car, someone to bring you lunch, etc. ... call 202-456-1111 . That's the telephone number for the Office of the President of the United States. I'm sure Mr. Obama will be happy to send a check from his personal or business accounts, as we have, or leave cash in an envelope taped to his front door for you, as we have.

It's like this. Those who vote for the President of the United States should consider what the impact of an election will be on the nation as a whole and not just be concerned with what they can get for themselves (welfare, stimulus checks, etc.). What Obama voters don't seem to realize is that the government's money comes from taxes collected from tax paying families. Raising taxes on productive people means they will have less money to spend on their families.

Congratulations on your choice. For future reference, you might attempt to add up all you've received from us, your mom, Mike's parents and others and compare it to what you expect to get over the next four years from Mr. Obama. To congratulate Mr. Obama and to make sure you're on the list for handouts, write to:
The White House
1600 Pennsylvania Ave. NW
Washington, DC 20500

Love you Honey, but call the number listed above when you need help.

Granddad

Ram From Hell said:

Nothing much to argue about there Eric. The only thing I can add to this is that from what I have seen the Repubs are just as fond of ham and bacon as the Dems are.

I have heard some pretty good arguments about the "but American" clauses though. There are some industries that are very concerned that there will be a backlash from foreign governments (China and Russia) that can really hurt them. Caterpillar was a big one that was worried about this. I understand the concept, but I'm not sure enough thought went into it. Of course, that could be said about every one of these types of bills in the last few years.

Shortly after class, an economics student approaches his
economics professor and says,
"I don't understand this stimulus
bill. Can you explain it to me?"

The professor replied,
"I don't have any time to explain it at myoffice,
but if you come over to my house on Saturday and help me
with my weekend project, ;) I'll be glad to explain it to you."

Thestudent agreed.

At the agreed-upon time, the student showed up at the
professor's house. The professor stated that the weekend project
involved his backyard pool.

They both went out back to the pool, and the professor handed the
student a bucket. Demonstrating with his own bucket, the
professor said,
:alberteinstein:"First, go over to the deep end, and fill your
bucket with as much water as you can."

The student did as he was instructed.

The professor then continued,
"Follow me over to the shallow end,
and then dump all the water from your bucket into it."

Thestudent was naturally confused, but did as he was told.

The professor then explained they were going to do this many more
times, and began walking back to the deep end of the pool.

:confused: The confused student asked,
"Excuse me, but :dontknow: why are we doing this?"

The professor matter-of-factly stated that he was trying to make
the shallow end much deeper.

:stupido2:The student didn't think the economics professor was serious, but
figured that he would find out the real story soon enough.

However, after the 6th trip between the shallow end and the deep
end, the student began to become worried that his economics
professor had gone mad. The :( student finally replied,
:argh:"All we're doing is wasting valuable time and effort on unproductive
pursuits. :motz:Even worse, when this process is all over, everything
will be at the same level it was before, so all you'll really
have accomplished is the destruction of what could have been
truly productive action!"

The professor put down his bucket and replied with a smile,
:congrats:"Congratulations. :D You now understand the stimulus bill."

Everyone better hope that that plan starts to work...regardless your political persuasion...we are all at risk.

The financial loss has been huge to the economy. If this continues many more will lose their employment, homes and much of their savings.

Several have left our group lately...they find themselves without employment and without hope of finding employment...then they just seem to fade away...so we do see much of the pain.

The economic losses are just numbers on paper...but when the lives of people are directly impacted we who are more fortunate do not share any of the pain. But the pain is acute and hits at the very fabric of who we are as a society. I have a huge number of students that just could not afford to pay their tuition this semester...they just were deleted from our rolls this week...people trying to get the tools for a healthy future.

Just the tip of an iceberg, in my mind. The down stream impact is unquantifiable, but it may be huge, if we are not successful in addressing the economic/financial issues. Any hope of incorporating Health care, Education, Infrastructure and Energy fixes all are contingent on getting people back to work, getting credit flowing, and somehow creating a strong and trusted financial base.

This is a huge problem, and each of us needs to be very worried.

Prof said:
Everyone better hope that that plan starts to work...regardless your political persuasion...we are all at risk.

We are all hoping things get better, but what exactly is it that we want?

Are we just looking for things to be as they were?

Are we wanting to hit the reset button and start anew?

Whatever it is, just doing something is not necessarily the answer. If that something is the wrong thing, we stand a very real chance of becoming inexorably mired in debt and despair. The market has been down for plenty of different reasons, but it has not yet responded with any discernible confidence (Except to Ben Bernanke's feeble prediction that things will improve if everything works. DUH! What an oracle this putz is.).

BO's right. We have dark days ahead. If his plan is the wrong thing at the wrong time, there will be many years of darkness before us.;)

I wish Eric would stimulate my Taint with his tongue....That's TheSickness stimulus plan...In fact I invite you one and all to participate :p

TheSickness said:
I wish Eric would stimulate my Taint with his tongue....That's TheSickness stimulus plan...In fact I invite you one and all to participate :p

Not sure you'll have any takers, but I think you should start waxing the area daily just in case.;)

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back