Oil consumption

05ce80

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My truck burns a quart every 1000 miles. No apparent leaks or smoke. Been driving it nice, not hard on it. Is this normal? Any clues?

I don't know why it does that... ?
But, mine does the same thing! I have about 85k miles now. I was told to go to a thicker oil and that should help. have been scared to do it though untill I hear if others have tried it yet. My only mod is Flowmaster 40's and deleted resonators. STOCK otherwise. I have been afaid to do much to it for fear of tearing it up. ( HAD BAD LUCK WITH MY OTHERS - NOS BAD..uummmK! ) so far no major problems. Just normal upkeep,brakes, rotors, hubs, oils changes. I plan to mod AFTER its paid for...not before!
Interested to hear the comments on this issue though! I was told to go to a full synthetic 10w-40, or a 20w-40.

both my trucks used a qt. @ 3,000 miles

only time they did not was the use of Amsoil.

used Mobil 1 0w-40 & now use Shell Rotella T 5w-40. both a qt @ 3,000 miles

I've got 31,000 on mine and run 15/40 Shell Rotella. Runs great otherwise.

I used to have same problem every 3k miles, I would lose 1 qt. Until I noticed a slight shine under oil filler cap while cleaning under the hood. Seems that the o-rings on our oil filler caps go bad fairly quick and oil slowly seeps out. It's not noticed by many because the stock exhaust manifold heat shields hide it and it never makes it to the ground because it burns off on manifolds. Needless to say, $1.50 at napa got me a new o-ring plus a spare, and now maybe I'm missing 1/4 of a quart after 3,000 miles running mobil 1 10w 40.

Mobil 1, about a pint at 3500 mile change. 60K miles probably 20 or more bottles of nitrous, 150 shot usually 200 shot when I feel froggy.

MrBIGWORM said:
I don't know why it does that... ?
But, mine does the same thing! I have about 85k miles now. I was told to go to a thicker oil and that should help. have been scared to do it though untill I hear if others have tried it yet. My only mod is Flowmaster 40's and deleted resonators. STOCK otherwise. I have been afaid to do much to it for fear of tearing it up. ( HAD BAD LUCK WITH MY OTHERS - NOS BAD..uummmK! ) so far no major problems. Just normal upkeep,brakes, rotors, hubs, oils changes. I plan to mod AFTER its paid for...not before!
Interested to hear the comments on this issue though! I was told to go to a full synthetic 10w-40, or a 20w-40.

Been running mobil 1 10w 40 in mine since I had it, up in NJ and would not use it in winter. But if I did I made sure it was above freezing. If you live where it does not go below 35-40, you can run 10w 40 all year. 20w 40 if you live where really hot everyday and does not go below 60 or you constantly race your truck. My .02

FATJACK said:
Mobil 1, about a pint at 3500 mile change. 60K miles probably 20 or more bottles of nitrous, 150 shot usually 200 shot when I feel froggy.

You gotta luv that mans style, rock on Jack!

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back