Oil Pan R&R

DESRT10

Supporting Member
Reaction score
All,

My main option to do the entire Paxton install is not panning out as planned, so I probably have to break it down. I have new heads to install with this too.

I don't have a lift where I can keep the truck, but know of at least 2 items that require a lift. Oil pan replacement (new pan has Paxton oil drain bung installed) and drop the fuel tank to put in the fuel pumps (from Torrie).

My 10 is a 2005 QC. I was thinking of doing the oil pan and fuel pumps at one shop, then driving to another location to finish the install.

How much of a chore is it to R&R the oil pan?? I have searched and know the engine has to be lifted to get enough room for access to move the pan. How high does it need to be lifted. Does anything besides exhaust have to be disconnected to move it enough? How long does it take with 2 people?

Any help or tips appreciated.

Bryan

You remove cross member to get to pen and then just weld it back in place maybe 2 hours of work . And if u remove engine , you need to lift it about 4" I think .

You remove cross member to get to pen and then just weld it back in place maybe 2 hours of work . And if u remove engine , you need to lift it about 4" I think .

thanks, so are you saying if we remove the cross member, we don't have to lift the engine to R&R the pan. That would be awesome.

You dont have to unweld and weld back in the cossmember. unbolt the motor mounts, jack up the engine just a bit. Unbolt the oil pan. now at this point, you're gonna see that you cant get the pan out, because the oil pick-up is blocking it. There's enough room to reach in with a wrench and unbolt the oil pick-up. Now u can easily work the pan out. No major lifting of the engine and definitely no welding or unwelding crossmember. Ask me how I know. :)

You dont have to unweld and weld back in the cossmember. unbolt the motor mounts, jack up the engine just a bit. Unbolt the oil pan. now at this point, you're gonna see that you cant get the pan out, because the oil pick-up is blocking it. There's enough room to reach in with a wrench and unbolt the oil pick-up. Now u can easily work the pan out. No major lifting of the engine and definitely no welding or unwelding crossmember. Ask me how I know. :)

Because your shop guys did it :D

Best news all day. Thanks for the good info.

Someone needs to manufacture a cross member replacement...cut out the cross member, drill four holes in the remaining frame then insert and four bolt in the aftermarket cross member replacement piece.

i believe the '04s were the only ones with the cut & weld crossmember.

mines bolt in, '05:rock:

i believe the '04s were the only ones with the cut & weld crossmember.

mines bolt in, '05:rock:

yeah there are 4 bolts there but there are also 2(maybe 4) welds as well, at least there was on scotts QC, i haven't even looked at my 04 though

Maybe a different approach for you.

On each of your valve covers you have a nipple for a hose that is used for crankcase ventilation. Take and plug one of the nipples off, and on the other nipple you use a regulated air source to push about 5-10 psi of air in the engine. Then drill the hole in the pan, the pressurized air will cause the drilled flakes to blow back in your face and not end up in the pan.

Maybe a little easier than removing the pan?

Like Steve (santeen) said. Changing out the pan isnt that hard really at all. Sounds harder then it really is but once you unbolt pan like he said you will realize unbolting the oil pick up is very easy and once you unbolt the pick up you have PLENTY of room to take pan off.

if you have the pan off then i suggest you remove the threaded in nipple and install a proper bulkhead fitting. the pan is really thin! maybe 1/8" . hard to trust the fitting to not loosen up and create a leak. .... just my 2 cents

if you have the pan off then i suggest you remove the threaded in nipple and install a proper bulkhead fitting. the pan is really thin! maybe 1/8" . hard to trust the fitting to not loosen up and create a leak. .... just my 2 cents

which fitting are you talking about, sounds important.

Like Steve (santeen) said. Changing out the pan isnt that hard really at all. Sounds harder then it really is but once you unbolt pan like he said you will realize unbolting the oil pick up is very easy and once you unbolt the pick up you have PLENTY of room to take pan off.

do I need anything like gasket, o ring or anything else to R&R the oil PICK UP.

I basically have oil pan, new oil pan gasket, rtv for the corners. I just don't want to have to get any new parts once I dive into this. Thanks everyone for the help.

I once saw where someone adds a weld or something on the pick up tube, but could not find it again. Is there a weak spot or weak link somewhere on that??

The pan isn't that thin. Your idea isn't a bad one, but it's really not needed.

do I need anything like gasket, o ring or anything else to R&R the oil PICK UP.

I basically have oil pan, new oil pan gasket, rtv for the corners. I just don't want to have to get any new parts once I dive into this. Thanks everyone for the help.

I once saw where someone adds a weld or something on the pick up tube, but could not find it again. Is there a weak spot or weak link somewhere on that??

Nope, you should be fine with what ya got.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back