Ok, I went off and did the "H" thing.

SRT-MIKE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Figuring I had not much to loose (except a tip for my friend at the muffler shop) and something to gain (the possibility of a better sound), I took the "Mythbusters" approach and had a 2.5" section of tubing joining the catless mids, upstream of the stock muffler.

My friend pulled the exhaust muffler and showed me the unobstructed, straight-flow configuration, indicating that without some backpressure there would be very little, if any gas transfering through the "H". He advised against it, stating I might not get the effect I was hoping for... but I asked him to proceed.

He tack welded a jig before removing the mids, carved out a half semicircle from both pipes at the point where they come close together, masterfully fabricated a crossmember that fit perfectly over both holes, and layed a nice weld bead over the joints.

The results:

Seems my friend was correct, in my perception the sound remained exactly the same in quality and intensity, and the popping on deceleration was unchanged.

Myth busted!

:)

i went to the muff shop and they said- HEY you don't have cats we can't work on this- so i have to have boomer maybe make something- i hope he can

H pipe is not the best answer, an X pipe is what really works on the V-10s.

H pipes however have been doing some good for many years on V8s.

An H pipe needs to be equidistant from the ends of the manifolds/header collector to work "well".

An X pipe is more forgiving as far as being equidistant from the source.

Attachments

• DSCN0695.JPG
    DSCN0695.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 66
mauiSRT/10 said:
How about a magnaflow vs the stock muffler for better sound?

patrick

Patrick, I own a MF but it was just too loud for me, as I drive the truck all the time. The sound of the MF was cool, but the drone tormented me. MF without the cats can be too much for some people, including me.

SRT-MIKE said:
Patrick, I own a MF but it was just too loud for me, as I drive the truck all the time. The sound of the MF was cool, but the drone tormented me. MF without the cats can be too much for some people, including me.

I love the Loud And Obnoxious Sound for sure Nothing is to annoying or too loud for me except a stupid ass bitch:rock:

FSTJACK said:
H pipe is not the best answer, an X pipe is what really works on the V-10s.

H pipes however have been doing some good for many years on V8s.

An H pipe needs to be equidistant from the ends of the manifolds/header collector to work "well".

An X pipe is more forgiving as far as being equidistant from the source.

That is a very well designed piece, I can see how the exhaust pulse from one side would be equally shared between the two muffler pipes, something the "H" can't do very good.

ok mike time to install the x pipe :) and give us the feedback :) we all know the mythbusters try all options

All I can say is that it made a HUGE diifference in the sound of mine.

Maybe it depends on where it is installed ?

The tone is a little deeper with a LOT of the popping gone.

I agree the "X" would probably work better.

Mikey, aka The Sickness, is the only forum member to ride in my truck.Ask him how quiet it was inside.You can ask some of the guys at the GTG at riffs house how it sounds from behind.I don't remember who was standing behind me when I left;Craig,joemags,bill (Begood) :dontknow:

I have a "X-pipe" on both my SRT and Hemi trucks. Single to dual systems. Picked up 15 HP with my Hemi. Don't have a before and after for my SRT.

Attachments

• 100_0600.jpg
    100_0600.jpg
    1,004.8 KB · Views: 65
If you really want to correctly locate an "H" pipe, spray about a 3-foot section of the pipes flat black in the general location of the "H" pipe (you can clean them later with laquer thinner), and then drive it (like you stole it). The correct location for the connection points should turn white (chalkey).

Bone said:
I have a "X-pipe" on both my SRT and Hemi trucks. Single to dual systems. Picked up 15 HP with my Hemi. Don't have a before and after for my SRT.

Are those MagnaFlow mufflers ?

Aeroturbines

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back