P0340 Camshaft Position (CMP) Sensor Circuit anyone have this problem on their truck?

titus7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys,
My truck wouldnt stay running at all last night and kept throwing this code:
P0340 Camshaft Position (CMP) Sensor Circuit
when I did get it running it felt like it had lost power and was running rough. I didnt put my foot into it, ran it under 35 mph and under 2000 rpm but even at that it felt weak??? And the kicker is that my warranty expired on July 31 HAHA FKN great!!!

OK Ima try this again. changed out the sensor ran great for 3 days and now Im back at step 1 again. truck wont start and the cam sensor is throwing the same code again. Pulled the sensor out and the the entire end of the sensor is crushed and gone... WTF

wheres the cam sensor located at?????

sounds like you have movement where ya don't want it

Thats what Im thinkin. It right up front going into the front of the motor, right below your intake manifold. its a plastic sensor. Someone suggested to me that my cam gear may be lose and thats what chewed the end of the sensor off, but I have no idea and really dont have a $1000 right now to drop on it and was wandering if anyone had any thoughts or ideas.???? please???

titus7 said:
Thats what Im thinkin. It right up front going into the front of the motor, right below your intake manifold. its a plastic sensor. Someone suggested to me that my cam gear may be lose and thats what chewed the end of the sensor off, but I have no idea and really dont have a $1000 right now to drop on it and was wandering if anyone had any thoughts or ideas.???? please???

at this point that exactly what it sounds like.

So I pretty much have to take it to a shop and have the front end of the motor pulled off?? Anyone know how much that costs?? or where a good mopar dealer is in So Cal?? our local dodge dealer folded and went under about 6months ago and the closest dealer I think is 90 miles away.

i know yours is an 06' but................
Date: April 2004

Effective immediately, all repairs on involved vehicles are to be performed according to this notification. Service Action #04-006 is being cancelled. Those vehicles that have already had this repair performed, as determined by our warranty records, have been excluded from this notification.

Models: (DR) Dodge Ram SRT-10

2004 (ZB) Dodge Viper
(DR) Dodge Ram SRT-10

NOTE: This notification applies only to the above vehicles equipped with an 8.3L V-10 engine (“Zâ€￾ in the 8th VIN position) built through January 31, 2004 (MDH 013100).

NOTE: This recall only applies to the above vehicles that were built through January 16, 2004 (MDH 011622).

IMPORTANT: Some of the involved vehicles may be in dealer vehicle inventory. Dealers should complete this repair on these vehicles before retail delivery. Dealers should also perform this repair on vehicles in for service. Involved vehicles can be determined by using the VIP inquiry process.

Subject:

The camshaft sprocket retaining bolts on about 1,200 of the above vehicles may not have been properly tightened. A loose cam sprocket bolt can back out and cause significant engine damage.

Repair:

The camshaft sprocket retaining bolts must be tightened to the proper specification.

Parts Information:

IMPORTANT: Due to the small number of involved vehicles, no parts will be distributed to involved dealers. Parts may be ordered as needed to support scheduled repairs.

I live in Ridgecrest. About an hour north of Palmdale. I would love to take it to DC performance....but due to the great economy that we are having right now my $$$ status is in the crapper and this is my daily driver so I gotta get it fixed.

SANCHOBA where did you get that report from???

I actually have another toy up for sale just in case this ends up costing me a shit ton of money...Unless you guys know of anyone that wants an 06 RC night runner with 28000 miles on it. HAHA $23k...after I get it fixed of course

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back