Paxton guys: bypass valve noise

DESRT10

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am happy with the Paxton set I did, but now that I have gotten the exhaust to be quiet, the next annoying noise is the bypass valve.

The intake (from in the cab) is quieter on-boost than off-boost, because the valve is closed when on boost. When motor is on vacuum, the valve is held open. I am not sure if it is doing this to just let air in or if to let excess pressure out of the system to let the Paxton head unit "cruise". I am not sure is the bypass valve noise is just from the valve itself, or all that air trying to move through that little K7N filter.

I want to quiet it down. My first thought is to just put a hose on the valve and route the filter to be in fender area or in front of the radiator. Fender preferred, then it would muffel the sound from outside the truck too. I could also route it back into the intake system, prior to the Paxton, but why bother introducing heated air back in there.

Second thought. Change valve, would another model be quieter.

Anyone tried any of this before? Any other ideas (besides just keep it in boost) :) ??

When I had my ProCharger (on a different vehicle) I ditched the bypass valve that came with the kit and went with a blow-off valve. IIRC, different BOV's allow you to tighten or loosen the "cap" that opens to "blow off", thus allowing how easy or hard it is for the cap to open and close and release air and essentially letting you set it to your liking. Using the BOV had no effect on my setup even though it was a supercharger. That might be something to look into. I don't know how the Paxton is setup, but with mine we had to remove the bypass valve and close off the hose that led to and from the bypass valve and then just cut a hole in the piping leading to the head unit and install the BOV. Worked great and sounded awesome. I used a Greddy Type-S BOV IIRC. Look into it, hope that helps.

Also too, I think some BOV's have a insert you can put in them that makes them quieter.

hmm... the BOV should open when the sensing line sees vacuum. which it will at idle,but only if there is pressure to release. once the pressure is gone vacuum should keep it closed... unless the paxton is pushing more air than the engine needs... but the paxton is a centrifical air pump that needs rpm the create boost.....so at idle, there should be no pressure.... sorry just thinking out loud!!! make sure the BOV is seeing vacuum. where is the sensing line hooked to?

The only "issue" I ever had with a BOV on my ProCharger was that if I was driving and let off the gas or shifted into neutral to engine brake as I was coming up to a red light the BOV would hiss, like the diaphragm was stuck partially open when I was off the throttle and still releasing pressure, but once I was back on the gas pedal it would close back up and go away. I didn't mind it, I like the sound of BOV's and such, but for the OP, this might be something he wouldn't like. I was using a Greddy Type-RS BOV (the one with the purple top) with just the standard spring.

BOV are going to be noisy no matter what. The last thing you want to do is restrict it, so be careful with whatever you decide to do.

Mine is very active unless I am in the throttle, it was different to get used to but now I love it.

I have a full paxton system with custom cooler and the OEM paxton BOV was very small. I had ART install a Tial BOV (the same as my Turbo car) on the truck. It is LOUD when ever you don't have a foot in the throttle. On the edge of being annoying...almost sounds like someones air compressor line broke a fitting...

We are going to install the Tial resurculation cap on the BOV which should quiet it down more and also help with boost.

I have a full paxton system with custom cooler and the OEM paxton BOV was very small. I had ART install a Tial BOV (the same as my Turbo car) on the truck. It is LOUD when ever you don't have a foot in the throttle. On the edge of being annoying...almost sounds like someones air compressor line broke a fitting...

We are going to install the Tial resurculation cap on the BOV which should quiet it down more and also help with boost.

That's interesting,do you have any pics and part#'s?

All blowers will pressure up a little bit at idle,that's why the valve is open,at idle you don't need pressured air coming in and leaning out your engine, I bet to prove that if you were to cover off that valve quickly at idle that the idle would go up and so would your A/F gauge #'s.

Last edited:
That's interesting,do you have any pics and part#'s?

All blowers will pressure up a little bit at idle,that's why the valve is open,at idle you don't need pressured air coming in and leaning out your engine, I bet to prove that if you were to cover off that valve quickly at idle that the idle would go up and so would your A/F gauge #'s.

The BOV shouldn't be open at idle, something is not right if it is.

Agree. Too much noise when I installed my Paxton. I carefully ran a hose down and to the front closer to where the water pump is mounted and put a filter on the end of the hose. Been running it for 6 years now and is very quiet and works perfect.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back